Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 01:29 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

People who will NOT. SHUT. UP. when you are trying to do something that requires concentration. There is one person where I work who is consistently oblivious to the fact that other people have a JOB and do not want to hear her incessant blabing! It drives me crazy. Every time she starts in at some point I have to look at her and say.... "I have to concentrate on this project, could you not talk to me for a couple of minutes". At which time she gets up and goes away.

Some people are utterly clueless.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 PM

840 posts, read 3,467,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Fast talkers. I don't know who told some people that talking very, very fast is necessary. These people talk so fast that their words bunch together. There are people who naturally talk fast and those who work too hard at it. It's this latter category that I find annoying.

Maybe much caffeine on the way to work?

Old 01-11-2009, 01:42 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
or.........somethin else

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
Maybe much caffeine on the way to work?

Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
People who send a print job on a shared network printer, jams it and leaves it there holding up the rest of the people in the queue waiting for their output. These people know their print job is jammed so they go resend it to another printer and leave someone else to fix their mess.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
Ah, please do tell us about your "guest" pet peeves.. would love to hear 'em
This is from a previous thread (irritations about working in customer service; I simply copied what I had posted in it). I think I can add a few!

I work midnights at a hotel, so i get my share of creeps and a******* in general...

-When you give someone a discount and they try to hustle you for even more money off the room. This isn't a garge sale and if you don't like the deal I'm offering you (which I don't have to do) you can take your cheap*** somewhere else.

-Getting blamed for stuff that is clearly not my fault (I had a guy who had a problem with his showerhead last weekend-and even after we got the problem resolved, he called me back and screamed "You WILL give me a discount, you f***ing b****".)

-People who get a room, then come back an hour or so later after they did their 'shady dealings' (hookers, drug dealings, whatever) and get mad when we won't give them a refund.

-Needy people (People who keep calling the desk for everything and nothing)

-People who don't speak English, and get mad at me because I don't speak their language (I had this issue just last night). I speak German and Russian...but I don't speak Spanish...

-General creeps and perverts ("You going to come share my bed with me?")

Here's a few more...

-Idiots who don't know how to use the keys-the kind that are plastic cards with the magnetic strips ("My God**** key isn't working.") 9 times out of 10 they aren't putting the key in the lock the right way or they don't turn the knob. I'm not kidding.

-New Years Eve was a real nightmare. I had a bunch of people whooping it up in the parking lot at 3:30 in the morning, dancing and playing boom-boom music. Sent the police out there and they scattered into their rooms real fast. Then at 4:00 in the morning I had reports of a fight...police came back to assist me...5:30 in the morning these people I kicked out for fighting wanted to come back and retrieve stuff they left in their room and when I told them NO they threatened me ("We gonna come kick yo a**")..nice...

-Had a Jesus Freak ask me if I was to be raped and murdered would I be be prepared to meet the Lord? Then he offered me a Bible.

I need a job where I don't with people. At all.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
OMG--that is a lot to deal with. And a Big Whew because I haven't done any of those things while a guest at any hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
This is from a previous thread (irritations about working in customer service; I simply copied what I had posted in it). I think I can add a few!

I work midnights at a hotel, so i get my share of creeps and a******* in general...

-When you give someone a discount and they try to hustle you for even more money off the room. This isn't a garge sale and if you don't like the deal I'm offering you (which I don't have to do) you can take your cheap*** somewhere else.

-Getting blamed for stuff that is clearly not my fault (I had a guy who had a problem with his showerhead last weekend-and even after we got the problem resolved, he called me back and screamed "You WILL give me a discount, you f***ing b****".)

-People who get a room, then come back an hour or so later after they did their 'shady dealings' (hookers, drug dealings, whatever) and get mad when we won't give them a refund.

-Needy people (People who keep calling the desk for everything and nothing)

-People who don't speak English, and get mad at me because I don't speak their language (I had this issue just last night). I speak German and Russian...but I don't speak Spanish...

-General creeps and perverts ("You going to come share my bed with me?")

Here's a few more...

-Idiots who don't know how to use the keys-the kind that are plastic cards with the magnetic strips ("My God**** key isn't working.") 9 times out of 10 they aren't putting the key in the lock the right way or they don't turn the knob. I'm not kidding.

-New Years Eve was a real nightmare. I had a bunch of people whooping it up in the parking lot at 3:30 in the morning, dancing and playing boom-boom music. Sent the police out there and they scattered into their rooms real fast. Then at 4:00 in the morning I had reports of a fight...police came back to assist me...5:30 in the morning these people I kicked out for fighting wanted to come back and retrieve stuff they left in their room and when I told them NO they threatened me ("We gonna come kick yo a**")..nice...

-Had a Jesus Freak ask me if I was to be raped and murdered would I be be prepared to meet the Lord? Then he offered me a Bible.

I need a job where I don't with people. At all.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
I used to work night shift in a couple of Hotels, and have had to deal with all of the above. Crazy job, and for not much pay!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
People who talk about their ex-husbands or ex-wives in every sentence even though they've been divorced for many years. And, every detail of their personal lives is aired for everyone to hear. The work environment becomes more like group therapy than work. Only had one environment like that, but that was enough.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Don't wash their hands in the bathroom.

Put their dirty feet on desks.

Try to convert me to their political party or belief system.

Put up a fake "happy happy" front and act like there's something wrong with people that don't act that way.

Attempts to apply 6 sigma to software R & D, LOL!

Act like the point of working is not income. For some reason it's a sin to want to be rich? WTF???

People expect their kids to behave... then they come in to work and act like teenagers. (Especially prevalent in Info Tech. 45-60 year old guys who dress like 16 year olds, put feet on desk, etc. etc.)

I could go on for days.

What happened to the idea that success had a look and feel that was more refined, not a reversion to one's teen years?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,547 times
People who come to work SICK - and "share" the sneezing and nose blowing all day long - tell you about the fever they are running - but SAVE their sick days for either:

a. in case their kids get sick (I sorta get that)

b. make sick days into vacation days (not so much)

If you have no sick days at your job I understand having to come to work - but how about you don't TOUCH every doorknob and office machine in the place.

And if you HAVE sick days - and you are SICK - stay home and spare us all the contagious factor.

Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment