Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 04:02 PM

282 posts, read 163,417 times

Advertisements

How do you think recruiters and job placement people get paid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Repeat after me: Do not work with temp agencies.

Take all 3rd party recruiters with a LITERAL grain of salt. Most of them 90% of the time are just collecting a rolodex wasting your time.

If I spent 500 hours talking to recruiters over the past 7-8 years, I'd say about 5 of those hours were actually productive and led to a job or valuable insight.

You are just a number. If you are bored, talk to a recruiter. If you want to find a job, network and apply direct.

Now - INTERNAL recruiters at Fortune 500's are a slightly different story. But even then, be skeptical and proceed with caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 04:32 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the Mutt View Post
Companies dont waste their time and money posting fake jobs and then interviewing people
The temp agencies do it all the time. It is how they generate leads. It is a form of prospecting for them.

Last edited by High Altitude; 05-08-2018 at 04:45 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 08:38 PM

188 posts, read 202,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten Lava View Post
It's a classic bait and switch and I can't tell you how many times I have interviewed with a temp agency and they tell me "The job you originally applied for has been filled, but we have this other position that you might be interested in, it pays less money and doesn't match your resume, but you would you consider it?"

That's how you can tell almost all their job ads are FAKE
I assume all temp job ads are fake now. I had applied to several temp jobs a few years ago, and the recruiters always called back the next day to let me know the job had been filled, but there was an opening for a worse job if I was interested, or they could add me to their database and let me know when a job came up.

The only temp job I interviewed for did the bait and switch at the interview. I (stupidly) took the job. The recruiter said most of the temps at the company were hired quickly, and kept saying the company was planning on hiring, but they never did. The company did make a big deal about how the 30 member temp team saved the company a huge amount of money. (They made it sound like it was because their new training methods made us extra efficient and we were so hardworking, but it was probably because they didn't have to waste money giving us benefits like they did on the employee teams.) Our reward was a pizza party.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
True that!
Temp 1: had me test in for certain job markets. I interview and get told you will only report to us on your hours and job duties. (Meaning the temp agent) ohh and it pays ($6 dollars less then the market states) . I declined the offer.
Temp2: tested and immediately was told...Hmmm. ..can we have you interview at xyz. I did. And again declined their rules.
Temp agencies basically are the middleman. You (the grunt...) are getting underpaid for the priveledge of them
Sitting back and skimming the wage. Contract with prospect might be charged 22$ per hour but you get paid $12 and the temp agent gets $10 per hour of the contract. All they gotta do is Rustle in 4 ppl and that's $40 /hr for them to sit and monitor.
I honestly read their contract and knew immediately who was making out...and it wasnt me.
The sad part is they get to block me if I even attempt to go interview at one of their contracted places. Even though I stopped being on their list . These temp agents protect accounts....I would too if I made 40$ per hr.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:37 PM

219 posts, read 439,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten Lava View Post
"My supervisor says she doesn't think you'd be comfortable in this position, but we have another one for you, it's with XYZ company, and they want to hire right away!! I'll get back to you later today and let you know if they can set up an interview with you soon!"
Corporate Relationship Management â„¢

"My supervisor says" triangulation to divert and deflect responsibility. "I'll get back to you later today" setting up an expectation so you aren't angry and don't cause a scene, until you are far enough away that you can't do anything about it.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:26 AM

283 posts, read 198,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
I've been debating on whether this was true. Now that I have seen someone else confirm this I am absolutely not responding to ANY recruiters that bother my LinkedIN inbox ever again.
This is why I do not have a LinkedIn account. Plus I want to keep my work history private.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:56 AM

283 posts, read 198,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
(It's such a pity that the OP appears to have been banned (That's usually what the "Not a member" designation means.))
Oh really? I often wondered what it means by Not a member. Why was the OP banned?

Old 05-09-2018, 06:27 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
I never let staffing agency recruiters connect to me on LinkedIN. I don't take their calls either. Fortunately, I switched my cell number so I no longer have to listen to their pitches for $15 an hour no benefits chemist jobs. I would not post your telephone number on your resume/profile if you decide to upload it. Just put a disposable email down. This will save you from a lot of MLMers and scammers as well.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:01 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Everything the OP has said about temp agencies is true.

My opinions on this subject won't change.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:06 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the Mutt View Post
Companies dont waste their time and money posting fake jobs and then interviewing people
It's a proven fact that temp agencies post fake jobs. Also, many other types of business post fake jobs ads to make it seem to their stockholders that they are doing well financially and hiring lots of people. There are all kinds of reasons and motivations for businesses to post these ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment