Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 10:14 AM

18 posts, read 12,588 times

Advertisements

Would you let your current manager know where you’re headed if they ask? How would you avoid disclosing without raising suspicion?

Let’s say the dept is crumbling and you leaving would be a big hit to the dept and although your offer is signed, sealed and delivered, you don’t put it past management to try and meddle since the industry is small.

How would you respond to the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
I think that you will get a lot more responses if you have your post moved from this NJ-centric forum to the Work & Employment Forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
"Oh, it's a similar firm closer to home" and leave it at that. You're not under any obligations to say, they don't need to forward your mail. If they don't pick up the hint that you're not telling them then you'll have to be blunter. "I'm not comfortable telling anyone until after I have completed my move."

Your worst case is that your manager also wants to leave and wants to know who's hiring.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think that you will get a lot more responses if you have your post moved from this NJ-centric forum to the Work & Employment Forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/
Thanks I remembered after I posted here since I’m so used to reading the NJ forum.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
If the industry is that small, and your management are such small people to try and ruin you, it's likely your new employer would know that's their M.O. and wouldn't take anything they would say or do too seriously.

If you are going to a competitor, I would let your management know that, even if you do not name the company. We've had cases in the past where departing staff have downloaded proprietary material, tried to steer clients away to their new firm, participate in strategy meetings so that they learn our strategy on a specific lead, etc. The company you work for now may want to manage how much information they give you in your final two weeks, knowing that you're going to soon be competing against them. Heck, they may ask you to leave that day and pay you for the two weeks.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
"Oh, it's a similar firm closer to home" and leave it at that. You're not under any obligations to say, they don't need to forward your mail. If they don't pick up the hint that you're not telling them then you'll have to be blunter. "I'm not comfortable telling anyone until after I have completed my move."

Your worst case is that your manager also wants to leave and wants to know who's hiring.
Thanks..I’m in management and I know the levels of low they’ll stoop, they’ve done it internally numerous times and have even attempted externally.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:15 AM

387 posts, read 616,235 times
Once you have given your notice its up to the employee whether he/she wants to disclose where they are headed.

In my entire career I have only come across one case where the person disclosed the company they were about to join. People would either mention what sector they were moving to or just limit to saying they are leaving within 2 weeks.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:30 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Once an employee gives notice we wish them well, give them a copy of their NDA and non-compete agreement they signed when they started and pay them for their remaining 2 weeks. They are given about 20 minutes to clear out their desk, under direct supervision, and then politely shown the door. If we like them we meet at a bar later with their teammates and get drunk on us. That’s it. I don’t know why they would even ask where you are going, if they can’t replace you in 5 minutes they are likely going under anyway so I wouldn’t tell them anything.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I've always disclosed to others where I am headed, never an issue. Why would any employer want to mess with your departure. In fact, of the 2 last places I've left they both counter offered to me but I declined. No issues with them just want to move on to somewhere else.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:21 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
I would just disclose it as they will find out anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment