Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 07:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Nannies are a lot cheaper in Tampa. Everyone I know in Tampa (with kids) who works has one.
1.) I call B.S. on that.

2.) If it's even remotely true, it's because Tampa has tons of illegal immigrants living there. (You seem too young to remember Nannygate...that's what can happen when you hire illegals as nannies. Google it sometime.)

3.) Dallas also has tons of illegal immigrants living here and I still don't know anyone who has a nanny. Or an au pair. I know people who have a regular babysitter or two who watch their kids 1-2 times per week for a couple of hours at a time, but that's not quite the same as a "nanny"...and these babysitters charge a lot of money.

Quote:
I am pretty appalled at the excuse-making in this thread for these candidates. And the attacks on me are pathetic. Do you think I don't want to fill these vacancies? As if I want to continue having to read hundreds of resumes and interview more people. No, what I want is a trustworthy smart person to show up on time and not say stupid crap so I can hire them ASAP!

I think I need to elevate my standards during the resume vetting process to weed out more of these people.

What do you think B-Man?
I think you need to get better at what you do (vetting candidates and reading resumes). I think you need to write a clearer job description with clear requirements & expectations for overtime & schedule flexibility. (Maybe include the "that's what nannies are for" line in there for good measure.)

You don't want just a "trustworthy smart person." You want a trustworthy smart person who meets every single one of your requirements not only for the job itself, but for their personality, politics, childcare arrangements, and willingness to drop their pants and grab their ankles every time you snap your fingers.

You deserve the heat you're getting. Working for (or with) you sounds hellish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 07:41 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

2.) If it's even remotely true, it's because Tampa has tons of illegal immigrants living there.
Ding ding ding, correct!

Old 05-11-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I think you need to get better at what you do (vetting candidates and reading resumes). I think you need to write a clearer job description with clear requirements & expectations for overtime & schedule flexibility. (Maybe include the "that's what nannies are for" line in there for good measure.)

You don't want just a "trustworthy smart person." You want a trustworthy smart person who meets every single one of your requirements not only for the job itself, but for their personality, politics, childcare arrangements, and willingness to drop their pants and grab their ankles every time you snap your fingers.

The job description includes "night and weekend work required," which I already explained in a prior post if you had bothered to read it. Employees have to travel occasionally nights and weekends every few months and the time is credited back as PTO.

Think about the insanity of what you are saying. THIS IS A WORK FROM HOME POSITION. Do you think if I was THAT controlling, that "hellish", that I would allow anyone to work from home?

Bottom line: There are certain things you should never mention during an interview: politics, mandatory vacation time, child care problems are just some of them.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:53 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
What's the position? I have plenty of resumes from people I've interviewed that were good.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
What's the position? I have plenty of resumes from people I've interviewed that were good.
Communications Manager

Old 05-11-2018, 09:25 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Again, working outside of the typical 9-5 hours doesn't have to mean "overtime." Some jobs just have more flexible or varied hours, but you can still keep it within 40/week by adjusting the start times. My typical shifts are from 12:30pm-9pm or 10:30-7pm, for example. And no overtime allowed!
That's good to hear about you! However, I'm guessing folks have been burned by this before. They tell you it's not the typical 9-5, but then they don't tell you it's a 40-hour week either, so you may end up working 50 to 70 hours a week. We live in a business world where unless it's explicitly mentioned, and put into writing, then you can't assume it, and it's at least a yellow flag.

Take the case when an interviewee shows up late... many employers will just assume he'll be doing this everyday, and not hire him. There have definitely been folks who show up on time for their interview, but don't really do so once they get hired. And even then, some jobs are task-oriented where as long as they get the job done, coming in 30 minutes late really has no bearing on job performance.

Quote:
I think there's a line that should be drawn, though, in fairness to those of us without children. If you accept a job with certain required hours, you should be available during those times - barring the occasional emergency or unexpected snag (e.g. kid gets sick and has to go home early), of course. But as a non-parent myself, I can't help being annoyed by those who are constantly adjusting their schedule and/or lack any flexibility, just because they have kids. My mother used carpools or nannies quite often, and somehow we all managed to survive.
Depends on how flexible the employer wants to be. Push come to shove, they're working because of their kids, not the employer. If they really want them, some flexibility goes a long way.

Speaking of which, some of these daycares cater to the 9-5 crowd, so they wouldn't be able to handle a schedule like yours... 12 to 9pm, 10:30 to 7.

Quote:
The OP is discussing what not to say in an INTERVIEW. If you know your wedding is coming up in xx months, you mention that AFTER an offer is extended - not when you're still in the interviewing process, and it could affect their decision to hire you. This is for the interviewee's benefit more so than the interviewers', as they're more likely to say "sure" once they've already hired you.
Oh, I see. It makes sense, but so much for honesty :X

Old 05-11-2018, 09:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
So people who can't communicate were being interviewed for a Communication Manager position?

Old 05-11-2018, 09:43 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:

Here's some tips on what NOT to say or do during a preliminary job interview. Ever.

2. Saying you want a 9-5 job. No full-time job is ever 9-5 in my company.

10. Saying the only reason you applied for this job is so you can work from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
why does it matter if it is an interview... who says i am forced to accept the job offer even if they give one? who says i wont leave in three months before the vacation?

a job is conditioned on both parties, the interview goes both ways. if i dont like the people there, there are more companies out there. its easier to find a new job than it is to find a good employee and companies know it
Most of the OP's criticism is reasonable, but how can the candidate present, and (hopefully) defuse a possible "sticking point" on which (s)he can't be too flexible -- for example, a prospect who wants to work non-traditional hours because his/her spouse works "daylight" and there are family responsibilities at home?

Too many employers want all new hires to be completely interchangeable parts.

We would all like to find employment possibilities that could be fitted around our personal mode of living as much as possible -- and for some of us, that is the ultimate goal, but some criteria are more important than others, and if they're skirted during interviews, the rancor on both sides is likely to be greater when the issue surfaces later on.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-11-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-11-2018, 09:54 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
The idea of passing on an individual because they want time off for a wedding or annual vacations is just sad. This person might be the most productive employee you would ever have and you nixed him/her right away because they have a planned wedding? I have to wonder how many great employees the OP has passed over.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:15 AM

171 posts, read 145,921 times
Quote:
As someone who does a lot of hiring for a living, I am continually amazed at the horrible interview skills I see every day. Even from people who have had solid jobs (career paths) and are highly educated with several advanced degrees.

Here's some tips on what NOT to say or do during a preliminary job interview. Ever.

1. Showing up late to the interview. Dealbreaker. In my company, if you are not 15 minutes early, you are late. If you are 15 minutes late (I see this a lot), you are a waste of my time because there's no way you are getting hired.

2. Saying you want a 9-5 job. No full-time job is ever 9-5 in my company.

3. Saying you need to be able to take your kids to school, pick up your kids from school, and take them to after-school activities every work day. Sorry, this is what nannies are for.

4. Saying you need a month off every year for your annual family vacation to XYZ country.

5 Checking your text messages on your phone during the interview.

6. Saying that that only reason you applied for the job is so you can get health insurance.

7. Showing up to the interview with an unsightly appearance.

8. Talking about politics during the interview and how much you "would really like to leave the country due to Donald Trump."

9. Saying you are getting married and will need a month off for your wedding and honeymoon right after you start.

10. Saying the only reason you applied for this job is so you can work from home.

Really??? So you expect people to say yes to a job offer if you cant understand that they may have children? Who would want to work for someone like that?

Are you paying enough for people to afford nannies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment