Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 03:39 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times

Advertisements

That you have no medical conditions, parental responsibilities or, legal issues of any kind that prevent you from being permanently on call.

That's what an employer wants to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 03:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
We had someone a few months ago who really interviewed well, and we were going to hire her. At the end, we always ask them if they have any questions for us, and she thought for a moment and said, "mmmmm... no-o-o-o... I don't think so...." and then suddenly thought of a pretty good question. I answered it, and asked if she had any more.

She thought for a few seconds, then asked another good question. So far, so good; everything going fine. So I asked her a third time, "any more questions?"

She thought for a few seconds, and asked "How many days can I miss work without notice before being fired?"

Poor thing should have quit while she was ahead.

Edit: I guess one other thing that comes up from time to time is excessive religious references. You can believe what you want to believe, but if you mention several times in the interview that this is what god wants you to do, or the lord will decide whether you get the job, or things of that nature, you are not getting the job. If you can't through a job intrerview without dragging god into every topic, how tiresome and inappropriate are you going to be once you're onboard? I've deep-sixed more than one qualified candidate for that.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 05-11-2018 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-11-2018, 04:19 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I've deep-sixed more than one qualified candidate for that.
I guess that means it was God's will that they didn't get the job.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:26 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
The idea of passing on an individual because they want time off for a wedding or annual vacations is just sad. This person might be the most productive employee you would ever have and you nixed him/her right away because they have a planned wedding? I have to wonder how many great employees the OP has passed over.
One of my coworkers got engaged, set their honeymoon well in advance. Since then, he got laid off and managed to find a new job, with the start date being the date of the honeymoon. He worked one week, took a few weeks off, and continued working that same job for 3 years without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
We all make mistakes, so don't beat yourself up about it... but for future reference (to anyone here saying "but I have to answer/respond!"), it's pretty simple to just not bring your phone into the interview. When I'm attending an interview, I literally only have my keys and maybe some breath mints in my pocket. That is IT. I'll leave everything else in my purse, and then lock it in the trunk of my car. And if there's some big emergency during those 30-60 minutes, it can be dealt with when I'm done. Unless you're a brain surgeon on call or something, there is no other reason the people calling/texting can't wait that long! People have just become so impatient these days, and seem to forget we all managed without cell phones until 20ish years ago. My mother raised three kids without one, and we're all still alive and well.

*Disclaimer: If you have an all-day interview situation and/or don't drive, this might not apply.
You're on call from your CURRENT job, and are looking for a new job b/c you don't like being on-call

That said, it's a double standard when interviewers and their participants pick up their phones in the middle of the interview as well. And yes, the person who interviewed me stepped out for about 7 minutes while I sat there. Catching up on notes, twiddling my thumbs, and taking a mental breather. I didn't hold it against him, but in some circles, other interviewees may think that's rude.

And given how we're in the cell phone age, you can't expect people to say "we didn't have cell phones 20+ years ago" if your boss expects you to answer emails and calls at night or on weekends.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:35 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Hey guess what! I just got back from interviewing candidate number 7.

She arrived 20 minutes before the interview time.

She was professionally dressed.

She provided examples of how hard she works, how much she has accomplished while meeting tight deadlines.

She showed excitement about the company and is very eager to fill the role.

She came with a binder full of writing samples, recommendations and awards.

She has several advanced degrees.

She did not look at her phone and looked directly at me the whole time (an hour).

She said nothing inappropriate whatsoever.

She's hired!

Old 05-11-2018, 04:38 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
It is bad news for employers. They will have to deal with these kind of people who have these attitudes. A major hassle. More and more of these people are entering the labor force, so employers can aggressively fire and refuse to hire these kind of people, but they will keep getting more and more of these kind of people and less and less of people who want to work and have a good work ethic. Eventually employers may have to get used to having these kind of people working for them and would have to accommodate their capricious values in their workplaces.
Someone will develop some new 6 sigma managment fad to make it all better. Also I dont think this is everyone, I am just barely a millenial and I have met people younger than me (albet not much younger) working on masters degrees and doing complex work, some with PhD's.

So I dont think that this is necessarily true. However the rub for employers is going to be cost, if you want the high speed good millenials working for you its going to cost. I suspect we will see an almost dirac delta wage increases because high speed people are going to throw out numbers based on spread sheets that account for the out of control COL, if you as an employer want to operate out of a high COL area then your going to pay (or keep dealing with these problems). For instance 150k a year in most of Cali is actually not very much money and 100k + in most populated areas is just kinda barely getting by as a middle class life style, most certainly not enough to squirl away large sums to start a buisenss, etc.

A lot of high speed millennial's have an entrepreneurial spirt and wont work for wages that dont allow them to aggressivly set up a buisness on the side. They dont want to have to be working for someone else for very long and if the pay is not such that they can have a successful buisness up and running in a few years they may not take the job. Millenials are learning that taking on debt to start a buisness is foolish and why most buisness in the past have failed, you make your employer pay it thorugh high wages, not through loans. if they are too cheap then you move on.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:43 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
This is not something you say in a preliminary interview, sorry. You COULD say, after the interview and when you have a job offer in hand, that you have a pre-scheduled VAC 6-12 months after your start date, and that would be OK. Three months after your start date is inappropriate.
Apparently that's not true considering he/she got the job offer. Some of us can be pickier than others.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:43 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Hey guess what! I just got back from interviewing candidate number 7.

She arrived 20 minutes before the interview time.

She was professionally dressed.

She provided examples of how hard she works, how much she has accomplished while meeting tight deadlines.

She showed excitement about the company and is very eager to fill the role.

She came with a binder full of writing samples, recommendations and awards.

She has several advanced degrees.

She did not look at her phone and looked directly at me the whole time (an hour).

She said nothing inappropriate whatsoever.

She's hired!

Big deal. Others can do the exact same thing and not be hired. That is the reality.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:27 PM

901 posts, read 747,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Big deal. Others can do the exact same thing and not be hired. That is the reality.
I hope you get the proper mental health treatment.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:33 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Here's some tips on what NOT to say or do during a preliminary job interview. Ever.

1. Showing up late to the interview. Dealbreaker. In my company, if you are not 15 minutes early, you are late. If you are 15 minutes late (I see this a lot), you are a waste of my time because there's no way you are getting hired.
It’s dumb to show up 15 minutes early. Borderline obnoxious. 5-10 minutes early, sure. I will get there 15 minutes early, it wouldn’t go in more then 10 minutes early.

Secretary will call the manager and usually a second person for the interview to say you arrived. They don’t need to have that call 15 minutes early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment