Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 02:29 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
I think the simplest explanation will do here. I'm assuming you're in a low pay, high turnover environment. Return on Investment on training is simply not there.
I have to agree, and OP, your CSR temp job wouldn't account for a much better environment either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 02:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
So where did the time clock turn out to be?

Old 05-10-2018, 02:58 PM

4,963 posts, read 2,709,998 times
Many employers feel that they hired you to do a job. So do it. If you don't know something then learn it. It is your responsibility. The employer is paying you to do that job so it is your responsibility to do it. So do it.

My last IT employer had that attitude. If you asked a question, management pretended to get confused and asked you: We hired you for a programmer analyst position. If you don't know how to do your job, then what kind of IT professional are you?

Old 05-10-2018, 04:32 PM

486 posts, read 992,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So where did the time clock turn out to be?
LOL! Yes, after multiple requests over multiple days to my silent co-worker and HR, I was told the time clock was "take a right at the elevator, walk down the hall, take a left and there will be a room on the right that says Team Members." OK. No need for anyone to get up from what they are doing (or not doing) and actually walk me to the Team Member room. Hey, hotel hallways can be a maze, especially if no one ever walked you around the hotel to show you where things are...just saying.

After two weeks I finally got my log in for the time clock (again after multiple requests from me to HR and my supervisor). Don't get me going on the time clock...it is one of those time clocks that require you to put in the last four digits of your Social Security number AND then put your index finger on a pad to verify it is really you signing in and out. Well, wouldn't you know the damn time clock rarely ever works the first time. It seems everytime I log in and log out I get the following:

"fingerprint unverified, try again."

For the second time I put my index finger on the pad the time clock beeps "fingerprint unverified, try again."

One more time, I put my index finger on the pad the time clock beeps "fingerprint unverified, try again. Relog in your SSN."

It's never ending. I swear it is not me, but I guess it is me because everytime I log in or out I have to do it three times as the time clock will not read my fingerprint correctly. Thank God for technology. Let's go autonomous cars!

Speaking of the Team Member room, besides the time clock there is a table and chairs and the obligatory dirty microwave and left over food and dishes that never get thrown out or picked up. I swear I have to hold my breath when I go in there because of the smell, but *that* is just me. There is also a unisex bathroom in the Team Member room. I went to the bathroom there one day and of course I locked the door to do my *thing.* I kept hearing someone outside the bathroom mulling around. I figured I better hurry up my "thing" and wouldn't you know, as soon as I had zipped up my pants, the door flew open. It was the maintenance man from Thailand (yeah I said it), he had unlocked the door with a key because he told me it was "locked." No kidding. I was using the bathroom, that is why I locked it. Usually one knocks before one unlocks a public bathroom door, but not where I work. Bizarro World.

The things I could write of my experiences at Bizarro World...
  • the fruit fly drain parties

• the marching ants on the food cabinets

• the dead mouse smell wafting up under the cabinet that holds the oatmeal

• the trash can that has no bottom but we have to use it anyway, as trash leaks onto the hotel hallways as we wheel the trash can to the outside dumpsters

• the leaking mop bucket that has a rag tied around the wheels to stop the leak (it doesn't work)

• scrubbergate (where I told my supervisor flat out I was NOT going to scrub the pots and pans and dishes with my fingernails, as they had NO scrubbers or sponges, that went on for three weeks until they finally broke down and bought some scrubbers at the dollar store because they were sick of my bitching)

• the moldy food left in bins because no one could be bothered to change it out every week and clean the bins (On my first day I asked about cleaning the bins so the food wouldn't get moldy, my co-workers and supervisor looked at me like I was crazy)

• the expired milk that is always being put out at breakfast, because no one can be bothered to check the dates

On and on and on.

Like I said. Fun times. If you can't laugh you might as well cry.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:40 PM

486 posts, read 992,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I have to agree, and OP, your CSR temp job wouldn't account for a much better environment either.
I have had "crappy" jobs in the past where I have been onboarded and trained much better than my last two jobs. What has changed? I guess people are stupid, rude and just don't care anymore. I am amazed (well not really) at how bad new employees are treated at workplaces now. No common courtesy. And HR and supervisors cannot give you the excuse "Well, no one welcomed me or trained me when I started." That's BS. HR and supervisors if you are so smart fix the problem, just because you were treated like crap as a new hire doesn't give you the greenlight to perpetuate the problem.

But like I said. No one cares. Just float along with the idiots.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:48 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I have had "crappy" jobs in the past where I have been onboarded and trained much better than my last two jobs. What has changed? I guess people are stupid, rude and just don't care anymore. I am amazed (well not really) at how bad new employees are treated at workplaces now. No common courtesy. And HR and supervisors cannot give you the excuse "Well, no one welcomed me or trained me when I started." That's BS. HR and supervisors if you are so smart fix the problem, just because you were treated like crap as a new hire doesn't give you the greenlight to perpetuate the problem.

Work with the idiots, float along with the idiots?

Most of us have had crappy jobs, I started working in the 80's and it didn't seem to be any better back then. As an example, data will show health and safety were certainly not as much of a priority then as now.

It's an extremely far stretch to equate universal crappy on-boarding and training with the entire scope of employers and professions. Some are great, some are bad, and many simply mediocre.

The more value you bring, the more valued you are.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:43 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
From what I am seeing, after companies got hammered in the great recession, most just don't care at all about much anymore. They never got their mojo back and don't care one bit. You want the job, it is what it is, take it or leave. And they have no desire at all to improve.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:48 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
I'm torn OP. On one hand, that's a pretty horrible setup to not have someone meet you day 1 and get you started. On the other hand, you're job is a breakfast attendant and you watched someone washing dishes. roll up the sleeves and jump in.

I mean, the reader that talked about high turnover is right. If your day 1 experience is to watch someone work and run around harassing people, I'd term you right then and there.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:43 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:

I'm sorry but you've only made one thing abundantly clear: any organization would be foolish to hire high-maintenance, whiny and slow to learn people like peebola.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:01 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Quote:
I stand by my statement, supervisors need to train new employees not co-workers. If supervisors do not know the day to day duties of their subordinates than they shouldn't be in a supervisory position. If all the "grunts" up and quit than I guess the incompetent supervisor is SOL as he/she would not be able to step in and do the grunt work, of which he/she has been supposedly supervising all this time.

Call me crazy...
Yep. Never seen anything come out of company where you had the blind leading blind. The only result I’ve ever seen from this are: layoffs, loss of business, loss of customer, revolving door of untrained workers and high turnover

It’s far more common to see those in Management positions With absolutely no clue what is going on below them and no idea how the work is getting done

Before, this was less of an issue because you had investment in the workforce and career growth. Employees would start at the bottom, show theIr worth and be moved up the chain and promoted so you didn’t have so many clueless people from the outside with no industry knowledge being thrown in Management positions over operations they can’t manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment