Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:58 AM

486 posts, read 991,641 times

Advertisements

Yes I am asking the question because I (and my sister) have encountered terrible experiences at our new jobs when it came to dealing with incompetent HR workers, zero onboarding policies, and no training or job duties given from our direct supervisors. Let me start off by saying I used to work in HR back in the dinosaur days (year 2000) as an HRIS Administrator and I KNOW the duties HR has to do and I KNOW how busy HR usually is (which is as busy as any other job). So HR workers can stop with the whole "we are so busy, we can't reply to, or help, or onboard all new hires" crap.

That said...I am NO newbie when it comes to working in the business world, I have worked many, many jobs in many, many industries (from minimum wage fast food/hospitality on up to graphic art, legal and computer/technical jobs for major defense contractors). I may not have made much money at my jobs, but I have worked with various organizations, various groups of people, various managers/supervisors. I understand not to expect someone to hold my hand when I start a new job, but I do expect some degree of common courtesy from the organization, HR and the direct supervisors. Plus ALL jobs require some amount of training, ALL businesses have their own set of rules, procedures, computer systems, etc. You have to be trained on such rules and procedures, not everything can be picked up through osmosis and asking questions all day long to co-workers and supervisors who have been working there for decades and who "are so busy and don't have time to reply to your stupid questions."

Right now, I am working part-time at a large hotel as a breakfast attendant. I have been working there for 5 weeks. My first day, I was told to walk into the breakfast area at 6 am and start work.

OK. I found my co-worker washing dishes, he pretty much only speaks Spanish. I asked him where I punch in (you know a time clock, so I can record my hours for HR). He looked at me turned around and continued on with his dishes. I went to the front desk and told the attendant that I was a new hire and what was I supposed to do. The woman found me a shirt and said my supervisor would not be in until 1 pm (I was supposed to work from 6 am-1 pm).

OK. The rest of the day I spent watching my co-worker wash dishes, prepare food, etc. I asked him questions, but he would only mumble a one word response and walk away. At 1 pm my supervisor came in as I was walking out the door (as my shift was over). I told her no one showed me how to punch in, I didn't have a card to enter the hotel doors, and I spent the day standing around as my co-worker ignored me. She said "don't worry, we'll figure it out."

Well, WE didn't figure it out, I figured it out. For two weeks I tried to learn on my own,

I harassed HR to give me a time clock code, and to show me where the time clock was (shhh it's a secret!).

I harassed HR to set up direct deposit, and to give me a code so I could access my pay stubs online (the HR woman said she had no clue how to do either as she had only been working for 9 weeks!).

I harassed my supervisor to get me another shirt as one shirt didn't cut it because they didn't have aprons and one shirt would get dirty after on shift.

I harassed my supervisor over her non-existent training methods. I was told to get lunch for the staff, but no one told me where/how to get the "lunch" they just ass-umed I was trained in that department, of which I wasn't.

I was never walked around and shown the hotel, I was never introduced to other employees and supervisors, I was never shown where the break room and rest rooms were, I was never told where to park, I was never told about my break times, I was never given specific job duties.

Five weeks later, I am still pretty much just standing around trying to act busy even though I am not allowed to cook any food, order any food, and open or close the breakfast area. Those important job duties are reserved for my Spanish speaking co-workers. I do clean tables and vacuum, I guess that is all my skills set allows.

My advice to HR and supervisors:
  • Have an onboarding policy. When a new employee starts instead of throwing a pile of paperwork in front of them to sign before they are hired, actually explain the paperwork the new employee is signing.

• An HR rep or a supervisor needs to greet the new employee on his/her first day. Have a uniform (if required), name tag, key card, timeclock log in, computer/cublicle desk available for the new employee.

• Show the new employee around the office/business, and introduce the employee to other employees.

• HR needs to explain the employee handbook to all new employees.

• Supervisors need to outline the new employees job duties the first day of work. Supervisors should also train the new employee on office procedures, time clock procedures, work breaks, where an employee parks, and other day to day workplace requirements.

• Supervisors NEED to be the one to train new employees on job duties, NOT co-workers.

• Treat new employees with respect, treat them like you would someone visiting your home. Make new employees feel welcome and not like a burden because "you are all so busy."

It's not difficult people. I understand nothing will ever change. Now for the "I never had a problem with HR" or "You're an adult suck it up" or "You're a racist" responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:16 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
why is it hr's job to train you?

Old 05-10-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
why is it hr's job to train you?
I stated SUPERVISORS need to train you NOT co-workers.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:18 AM

What was I thinking? Some day I will learn...

Old 05-10-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I stated SUPERVISORS need to train you NOT co-workers.
in that case, hell supervisor may not know the job themselves... they got hired to supervise, not grunt work

go to them with a problem so they can resolve it since its their job, but they might do it be deligsting that to someone else, aka having a coworker train you

Old 05-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
in that case, hell supervisor may not know the job themselves... they got hired to supervise, not grunt work

go to them with a problem so they can resolve it since its their job, but they might do it be deligsting that to someone else, aka having a coworker train you
I stand by my statement, supervisors need to train new employees not co-workers. If supervisors do not know the day to day duties of their subordinates than they shouldn't be in a supervisory position. If all the "grunts" up and quit than I guess the incompetent supervisor is SOL as he/she would not be able to step in and do the grunt work, of which he/she has been supposedly supervising all this time.

Call me crazy...

Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
That would require employers investing in their employees and we just can't have that these days. It would interfere with the inflated executive's bonuses. God forbid, they can't have a weekend yacht and a 5th home for a family of 3-4 . . Everyone is supposed to know every little intricacy of every job function before they start.

Then people wonder why companies/operations go in the crapper and everyone is then scrambling for fixes. Fixes of problems that could have been avoided wayyy beforehand

Old 05-10-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I stand by my statement, supervisors need to train new employees not co-workers. If supervisors do not know the day to day duties of their subordinates than they shouldn't be in a supervisory position. If all the "grunts" up and quit than I guess the incompetent supervisor is SOL as he/she would not be able to step in and do the grunt work, of which he/she has been supposedly supervising all this time.

Call me crazy...
they wont all up and quit at the same time, maybe a few will, then they offer money for the rest to stay and they will stay for more money

Old 05-10-2018, 09:45 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
Your supervisor fell down on the job by not being there when you started your shift or requiring you to come in a day early when she was working so that she could orient you.

Does your company not have a payroll department or are those functions that your HR department assumes? Among those papers that you signed was there not a mention of payroll procedures? I assume that HR believes that employees will read the handbook on their own and ask HR if they have questions.

My employer holds an orientation session with the new hires to show them the nuts and bolts of the workplace but the supervisors are the ones who ere supposed to train the individuals for their jobs. I'm not sure why your supervisor failed to do so,

Old 05-10-2018, 09:48 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Incompetence and idiocy is everywhere. You can't escape it. I've tried. Thinking is not your friend these days. Just shut your brain off and cast yourself adrift in the current like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment