Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 07:02 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Not being snarky, but that's great that you work for a company that doesn't care what time you come in; however there are plenty of organizations, mine is one, that is (and has to be) a stickler about start times.

I guess I have a hard time understanding why this is ok...why is it ok for you to show up late everyday? You agreed to start your shift a x time not y time...but sounds like your boss doesn't care, don't mess this gig up.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but there are plenty of organizations that care more for the quality of the work done than what time who came in or left.

I happen to work for a company that really doesn't care what time I come in or leave as long as the work gets done with a certain level of quality. And I always deliver.

My husband just got a new job with a fortune 200 company. On day one, his boss told him he doesn't care if he comes in on time every day. The boss also told him to leave 30 minutes every day to avoid traffic. And the other day, he got a text early in the morning from his boss telling him don't worry about coming in early in the morning because things were slow. He ended up going in at 11am and left at about 3am. From what he's told me, that's how the job works. Everyone is super easy going.

There are sectors of the economy that really don't care what time you come in and what time you leave. They care about the quality of the work you do. So, as long as your work is stellar all the time, who cares if you came in late or leave in the middle of the day for a doctor's appointment?

I've found that people who are gungho on who comes in how many minutes late and such are the ones who have nothing else to offer. When I joined my current company, there was a guy that always came to the office an hour early. He would complain endlessly that people like me would come in a little later. I dare say he spent more time at the office than anyone else. When I audited his work, it looked like the work was done by a grade school kid. No quality. No sense of accuracy. Well, it didn't take long before they fired him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 07:35 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
You know what my boss said to me when I showed up for work 2 minutes late? She said, "Good morning".
Really. Who the hell would want to work somewhere so anal that it's a problem if you show up 2 minutes late one day?

Now if you're the star of a Broadway show or something, maybe that's a problem, but not in a normal office job. "Written up"? Have to sign a piece of paper? WTF? What is, this, grade school?

Old 05-12-2018, 08:27 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
...how it's hard for me to make it to work on time.
A Company pays you to work, gives you a time to be there. What is so hard about being on time?

I will never get it...

Old 05-12-2018, 08:47 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
A Company pays you to work, gives you a time to be there. What is so hard about being on time?

I will never get it...
Sometimes one just wants to go surfing or get high AF....what's so wrong with that? Life is short....enjoy it.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:29 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really. Who the hell would want to work somewhere so anal that it's a problem if you show up 2 minutes late one day?

Now if you're the star of a Broadway show or something, maybe that's a problem, but not in a normal office job. "Written up"? Have to sign a piece of paper? WTF? What is, this, grade school?
There seems to be a large number of people here who think the worth of a worker solely depends on him showing up on time or not. I said this before. Based on my experience those who put too much emphasis on this are the people who have nothing else to offer. They act like coming to work early every day somehow makes them a great worker even though their work suck. I've audited plenty of work by these people who always show up early and leave late. Their work are always mediocre at best and have a total lack in quality at worst. Why? They know they don't have anything else to offer so they try to make it look like the job is all about coming to work early and leaving late.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:51 AM

35 posts, read 22,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
There seems to be a large number of people here who think the worth of a worker solely depends on him showing up on time or not. I said this before. Based on my experience those who put too much emphasis on this are the people who have nothing else to offer. They act like coming to work early every day somehow makes them a great worker even though their work suck. I've audited plenty of work by these people who always show up early and leave late. Their work are always mediocre at best and have a total lack in quality at worst. Why? They know they don't have anything else to offer so they try to make it look like the job is all about coming to work early and leaving late.
Yes, I also noticed the crappy workers who tell everyone they have NOT called in sick for year(s) but they do the crappiest work! She thought she was the best employee bc she never called in sick. But I heard the complaints from customers how she doesn't do her work! You just shake your head and move on.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:22 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I was around 8 minutes late today, and my boss actually said “you’ve been so punctual lately!”
Since all else has failed, it looks like your boss is using sarcasm to get your attention. Maybe that will work .

Old 05-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Haha, the only reason I didn't kick him off my team was because I had already kicked out 2 guys before this. The company ended up firing one guy because apparently he had a history of noncompliance and assigned the other guy a BS desk duty. Believe me, I was this close to kicking him out of my project. But I didn't want to have the reputation of kicking people off my project. So, having him work night shift for the next 6 months got him out of my hair. He begged me several times to get back on day shift and I told him nah night shift needs you LOL.

Sorry, I'm unapologetic about it. People need to learn that you don't just call up your boss and say eff you this eff you that without consequences. If that's how they deal with their stress, then I deal with my stress by getting rid of people who give me more stress than necessary.
Makes perfect sense. You have to have some kind of leverage otherwise you are just firing blanks.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:

My husband just got a new job with a fortune 200 company. On day one, his boss told him he doesn't care if he comes in on time every day. The boss also told him to leave 30 minutes every day to avoid traffic. And the other day, he got a text early in the morning from his boss telling him don't worry about coming in early in the morning because things were slow. He ended up going in at 11am and left at about 3am. From what he's told me, that's how the job works. Everyone is super easy going.
And then he woke up .

Old 05-12-2018, 04:06 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
It was fun. I came in 2 mins late and got written up. He said how much he hates this part of his job and I went on about how the managers or owners changed the start time by 1.5 hours on a days notice and how it's hard for me to make it to work on time. He just looked stunned and I asked where to sign the paper and signed then started work. Half of my coworkers were gone. Maybe due to the sudden start time change? Funny thing, he went on to talk small talk and show me pictures on his phone for the rest of the day.
Did he write those co-workers up, too, for being late? Did you ask about that?

Good for you. I believe in being a dedicated, hard working employee...but not a doormat who is treated shabbily and disrespectfully. One day's notice for a start time is UNREASONABLE notice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment