Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 05:13 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that yawns quite often. It is annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 09:41 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
The day in our office starts between 07:30 and 07:45 to get ready for work by 08:00. Our workloads are demanding and most people like to get in early. This is not the same for a co-worker on my team.
<>
I don't know, but my favorite boss often complained about how many people he paid to have a cup of coffee and a dump every morning.
It is a management issue, not a coworker problem.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Stop looking at them.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:57 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
The day in our office starts between 07:30 and 07:45 to get ready for work by 08:00. Our workloads are demanding and most people like to get in early. This is not the same for a co-worker on my team.

They stumble into work sometime around 08:00-08:05, bleary-eyed, and sleepy. Then they go and make coffee, have something to eat, starting work when they kind of feel like. They don't bother following company processes so their reports are a mess. We regularly pick up their calls because they will usually be wasting time. Their effort is minimal except when it comes to trying to pass off their work to other people.

Up to this point it's comedy. Nobody respects them, they are always half-asleep, and they are too self-absorbed to seem to notice how sloppy they are. The final straw for me though is their constant yawning throughout the day.

Now you could say just ignore it. But these aren't ordinary yawns. These are real rippers. We're talking loud yawns. Premium quality yawns. World class yawns. Supersized yawns. Olympic league yawns. Richter 0.6 yawns. I'm talking about:

YYYYYAAAAWAAAWAAAAAAANNNN
*slurp* *slurp* *slurp*
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAWWWAAAAAAHHEYE AYE AYE AYE AYE....
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
"quiet today, huh?"

While the rest of us are working our butts off, they have no issue with loudly yawning to our faces. Constantly. Throughout the day. They are nearly 35 and live with their mother who cooks and cleans for them, they enjoy computer games and something called anime, a cartoon for children.

Now how do I deal with my yawning co-worker?

Sounds like he hasn't had any training. The manager needs to show him how to do his job, adjust his office behavior, and teach him what work ethic is. Some peoples don't have an idea of what to do if they are not corrected. I am sure he is being noticed by the bosses.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:26 AM

666 posts, read 643,038 times
Quote:
I'm going down that path. But my manager is interim and there's politics going on: "we realize but we'll get to it later". In the meantime, this person is forcing us to pick up their slack while they yawn in our faces.

We've already considered this, even to the point where we build a catapult which launches things directly into their mouth, but then we realized the possibility of the object being trapped in their esophagus and that we didn't want to do time for third degree murder.
And you're making comments about his immaturity? Agreed that you and your team should stop obsessing and stop building objects to mess with the person and just focus on yourselves. There's no point anyway if management isn't going to do anything.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:40 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Every office has a few people who obsess to the point they let small things like someone yawning drive them nuts. You're always going to have a co-worker with annoying habits. Relax, stop focusing on it and you probably won't notice it any more.
As I'm trying to explain, their sloppy work isn't just insulting - it's also a nuisance. We have to pick up their calls and e-mails too. Management directs us that we all work together, so we help each other out. Because lazybones can't deal with anything, we have to pick up after them.

It's not just that. They always look a mess. They can't answer basic questions about what they are doing. They come in with toothpaste smeared on their face or their pants undone. They struggle to stay awake. Then they sit around you and yawn all day. There is a rumor that one time they straight up fell asleep on their desk. Ignoring this is no longer an option.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:53 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Talk to HR about it.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:54 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
As I'm trying to explain, their sloppy work isn't just insulting - it's also a nuisance. We have to pick up their calls and e-mails too. Management directs us that we all work together, so we help each other out. Because lazybones can't deal with anything, we have to pick up after them.

It's not just that. They always look a mess. They can't answer basic questions about what they are doing. They come in with toothpaste smeared on their face or their pants undone. They struggle to stay awake. Then they sit around you and yawn all day. There is a rumor that one time they straight up fell asleep on their desk. Ignoring this is no longer an option.
Either raise the concern to your boss that the work isn't being done, or ignore the habit you find annoying. My advise? Show learn to deal with people who have annoying habits. You'll be doing it your entire life, and complaining about them doesn't help.

What do you want from this thread? And out of curiosity, how much time do you and your co-workers waste talking/complaining about this person?

Last edited by Lekrii; 05-13-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 10:43 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Complain about the work habits all you want, but you also seem to have it in for them because of personality traits that have no bearing on anything except the fact that you personally don't approve of them. So what if their clothing is sloppy, they live at home, and have hobbies you don't understand? As long as those things don't have a direct affect on your workload it's none of your business.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:05 AM

666 posts, read 643,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Complain about the work habits all you want, but you also seem to have it in for them because of personality traits that have no bearing on anything except the fact that you personally don't approve of them. So what if their clothing is sloppy, they live at home, and have hobbies you don't understand? As long as those things don't have a direct affect on your workload it's none of your business.
Right about that! Anime is really not a "cartoon for children".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment