Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 11:47 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

I know someone who has worked as a social worker with the VA for over 20 years. They earn at least $100,000, plus their pension will be great.

But I don't think it's just because they worked there for so long. I saw a ad for a VA social worker in a small town and the salary started at $90,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 12:55 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I know someone who has worked as a social worker with the VA for over 20 years. They earn at least $100,000, plus their pension will be great.

But I don't think it's just because they worked there for so long. I saw a ad for a VA social worker in a small town and the salary started at $90,000.
To get into the government, specifically the VA, you have to be clinical. Your friend probably has several years of clinical experience and numerous accreditations attached. It's a good job to end up in, if you can get in. They do hire as most government entities do, giving veteran and veteran-spouse preference to those looking to work there. You'll also get paid more in the government for those rural positions. Many state governments also provide stipends for working in rural areas.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:22 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I have a friend who told me her co-worker is social worker and makes $100K per year. Can this be possible?

A woman with an MSW, ACSW, LCSW and over 30 years experience will make under $50k at a small-town Head Start program as the Mental Health Manager.

To those making $100k as a social worker at a "large corporation" count your blessings.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:35 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I'm guessing the places where a few do make $100K also have a high COL. So the $100K may not go as far as you think it would.
Not necessarily. Some lower cost of living states actually pay much more than places like NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. A lot of healthcare industry jobs experience the same thing. Think of it this way. Tons of people want to live in NYC. They’ll even sacrifice the salary to get the experience. Rural Maine? Not so much.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:56 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
the juice doesnt seem worth the squeeze

a masters aint cheap...unless your employer is paying for it. i would want to get paid at least 150k coming out wit a masters degree.
Many Masters in Engineering aren't paying that much.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:51 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Many Masters in Engineering aren't paying that much.
Most people like to take that rare person, who works for that one high paying employer, in the highest cost of living location, and then talk about how everyone in the industry makes that kind of money.

And it is always six figures.

Always.

Start talking to just about anyone about different professions and watch how many times someone pulls out the, and you can make six figures......

My very first job out of college I was designing a product costing system for a manufacturing company and the HR director had a spreadsheet problem. He called me in his office and we started to look it over while he talked. Turned out the spreadsheet was a list of all the employees and their salaries where listed in one of the fields. I was blown away by just how much people WEREN'T making. Pay was way lower than I ever thought it would be.

People almost always think people are making more money than they are.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:23 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
My therapist (LCSW) makes about $200K. But he has 40 years' experience and multiple credentials beyond the MSW (but not a PhD).

Old 05-17-2018, 01:59 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Most people like to take that rare person, who works for that one high paying employer, in the highest cost of living location, and then talk about how everyone in the industry makes that kind of money.

And it is always six figures.

Always.

Start talking to just about anyone about different professions and watch how many times someone pulls out the, and you can make six figures......

My very first job out of college I was designing a product costing system for a manufacturing company and the HR director had a spreadsheet problem. He called me in his office and we started to look it over while he talked. Turned out the spreadsheet was a list of all the employees and their salaries where listed in one of the fields. I was blown away by just how much people WEREN'T making. Pay was way lower than I ever thought it would be.

People almost always think people are making more money than they are.
Excuses, excuses.

The mean household income for married couples filing jointly in the United States, all races, all locations, was $117,795 in 2017 so it must be possible to earn that much. I know there are many two-income households and that the mean is skewed by a few tens of millions (!) of rich people, but drive around and look at how many $350,000+ houses you see....they cannot have been bought (unless it was a long time ago) by people making under $100,000 so draw your own conclusions.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,136,373 times
When I was a kid I had a social worker and i asked her how much she made. She said 29,000 lol.

Might be more now

Old 05-17-2018, 03:23 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Excuses, excuses.

The mean household income for married couples filing jointly in the United States, all races, all locations, was $117,795 in 2017 so it must be possible to earn that much. I know there are many two-income households and that the mean is skewed by a few tens of millions (!) of rich people, but drive around and look at how many $350,000+ houses you see....they cannot have been bought (unless it was a long time ago) by people making under $100,000 so draw your own conclusions.
The median is a better number to use than the mean:

Median income in the US hits all-time high - Business Insider

That's around $57-$59K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment