Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 05:37 PM

10,713 posts, read 5,651,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acctgirl View Post
I've got a BS in Business Administration - Accounting. An RN makes more money then I do...considering changing careers. Something that's not physically demanding....
I see you're in San Diego. Where did you go to school? SDSU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 06:51 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSGood View Post
So I'm wondering, how is your degree serving you? What was your major? Are you in your chosen field?
BA in English + MLIS (Master of Library and Information Science)

I've been working in my chosen field, as a public librarian, since literally a few weeks after earning the MLIS in 2006 - and aside from a few short periods of time towards the beginning, have always been gainfully and happily employed in the field. I bounced around a little at first, just trying to find my niche, but have been in my current job for almost 6 years now. So I'd say it is serving me quite well!

I am a rarity, though, as someone who graduated with zero debt. I was fortunate enough to have parents who could afford to pay the tuition, in full every semester/year, which I appreciate much more now than I did at the time... not that I was ungrateful, mind you, but as a "real adult" I know what a gift that was.

Quote:
Importantly, do you believe you'd have been better off learning a trade and becoming a journeyman in those years it took to get your degree (and your debt load)?
Nope. But again, I have no debt load from school. I also make a fairly good living, doing something I sincerely enjoy, and feel good about at the end of the day. And given my physical limitations (various chronic issues), there are very few "trades" I could have done anyway. Librarianship can be intellectually and mentally draining at times, but physically it is only as difficult as I want it to be... if I'm tired or achy I can sit, and if I'm restless I can move around as needed. Perfect for me!

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-17-2018 at 07:10 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 07:10 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
My degree qualified me for the profession I worked in for 34 years. It was a specialty, so no way to attack it any other way. There was no alternative route to the work I wanted to do, so had to face facts.
Yep, same situation for me... you can't get a public librarian job without the MLIS, so it was not an option for this career. Good thing was that I ended up really liking graduate school! Seriously, it was pretty fun for the most part.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
I hear so much today about college grads leaving school with a boatload of loan debt ending up as barristers.
That's not too bad if they can get an actual job at a law firm.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:14 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
I hear so much today about college grads leaving school with a boatload of loan debt ending up as barristers.

So I'm wondering, how is your degree serving you? What was your major? Are you in your chosen field?

Importantly, do you believe you'd have been better off learning a trade and becoming a journeyman in those years it took to get your degree (and your debt load)?
Barristers are lawyers. I think you meant "Barristas" - eg Starbucks coffee-pourers.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:44 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
I noticed a trend here. People with STEM degrees or skilled degrees (accounting) thought it was worth it. People with soft degrees (English, liberal arts) don't. A huge part of this is WHAT degree you get.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:12 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I noticed a trend here. People with STEM degrees or skilled degrees (accounting) thought it was worth it. People with soft degrees (English, liberal arts) don't. A huge part of this is WHAT degree you get.
100%

I graduated with my degree in Mechanical Engineering in 2007 and got a job at a sought after company right out of school (and worked there for 9 years) and then moved in 2016 to take a new position at a smaller firm in Dallas. Even taking out loans for everything (4 years at a good state school for engineering - NC State), I paid it all back in 6ish years. Thus, I've been sitting with a combination of no debt and a six figure salary for almost 5 years.

Sure I worked hard in school and I think I put myself in the right position. But some of it is certainly a bit of 'luck' that engineering was something I was interested in and I graduated at the right time - engineering firms in my area were not hiring much for the next 2 years after that.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
That would seem to be axiomatic. Unfortunately, many just don’t get it.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:55 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That would seem to be axiomatic. Unfortunately, many just don’t get it.
Well, part of it is that employers need to 'get it' as well or something has to change. Unless you're going to be a completely autonomous, true artist (which is not reliable for a huge portion of the population) most employers hiring require degrees even for positions that don't necessarily require it. I'm always amazed at how many people require 4 year degrees for graphic design, marketing, etc. positions etc. when they're missing out on lots of talented people who are autodidacts in that kind of field. Yes, there are skills that people acquire in college that are useful to these people from a business standpoint, but still. A lot of companies have really made it tricky, requiring 4 year degrees for lots of positions that don't necessarily require it naturally. Thus, it's become the norm that you 'need' a college degree just to get considered unless youre going to go into the trades, retail, start your own business, etc.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Well, part of it is that employers need to 'get it' as well or something has to change. Unless you're going to be a completely autonomous, true artist (which is not reliable for a huge portion of the population) most employers hiring require degrees even for positions that don't necessarily require it. I'm always amazed at how many people require 4 year degrees for graphic design, marketing, etc. positions etc. when they're missing out on lots of talented people who are autodidacts in that kind of field. Yes, there are skills that people acquire in college that are useful to these people from a business standpoint, but still. A lot of companies have really made it tricky, requiring 4 year degrees for lots of positions that don't necessarily require it naturally. Thus, it's become the norm that you 'need' a college degree just to get considered unless youre going to go into the trades, retail, start your own business, etc.
Employers DO get it. If the requirements set by employers are reasonable, the market will reward the company. If the requirements are unreasonable, the market will punish he company. It is a self-correcting situation that is resolved my market forces, rather than by those don’t own the companies making demands on what companies should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment