Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 11:30 PM

8 posts, read 3,048 times

Advertisements

Do you ever spend some time remembering people you used to work with, that lessons and what they should you through life.

Have you ever went from one career to another and saw the differences in people and learned a lot things good and bad ways

We can come into someones life, and than one day leave. We only have a vague memory of that person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 06:21 AM

9,386 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylife View Post
Do you ever spend some time remembering people you used to work with, that lessons and what they should you through life.

Have you ever went from one career to another and saw the differences in people and learned a lot things good and bad ways

We can come into someones life, and than one day leave. We only have a vague memory of that person
No. In general I do not keep in contact with former co-workers. There are exceptions; however, 95% of my co-workers would not be friends of mine outside of work, so out of sight out of mind.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:38 AM

669 posts, read 582,218 times
I have collected a few .co-workers as friends over the dacades of working. Even if we only get together a time or two each year...we keep in touch. .

Old 05-16-2018, 07:01 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,330 times
Funny many of my former co-workers, especially women, ghost me after I am of no further use to them. We were "best of friends" when they needed an ally or an ear to listen to their problems/concerns but as soon as we part company, they no longer have the time to talk to me.

Example, I had a female co-worker that was a good work friend. We would go out to lunch and would have each other's back at work and speak often. After I left the company, I then became an outsider/competitor who she only had a "minute or two" to talk with. She would take the "company line" with me and only shared how wonderful everything was after she received a pay raise. Then she got fired. I knew about immediately through the grapevine. She then called me and said that she got fired and wanted to chat about all of the horrible things that happened. I said that I heard about her getting fired and was sorry for her but that I didn't have time to talk and wished her all the best.

I have had at least two times in my career that this scenario has played out.

BTW, I was NOT a competitor as I moved to go back to work in my family's business. She knew that.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
No. In general I do not keep in contact with former co-workers. There are exceptions; however, 95% of my co-workers would not be friends of mine outside of work, so out of sight out of mind.
Same here, just a few that I keep in touch with by email and/or social media, though I recently had dinner with with my first manager from 1975-85 in the S.F. Bay Area after he found me on Facebook, and we both ended up here in WA state.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:26 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I have a few coworkers I keep in fairly regular touch with from prior positions. One is one of my best friends, but the rest I'm not personally close with.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:31 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,877 times
I do wonder about people from past jobs. What happened to them, how did they turn out, etc.. My high school job was at an office supply store (big box) and from time to time I'd go in there and get stuff and see a couple of my former co-workers. It is odd knowing that one guy's baby girl would now be in her mid-20s! We didn't have the social media back then so usually once you left a group of employees at one job, unless you made really good friends with them, you likely never really stayed connected.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
I keep im touch with co workers from a few years ago from a long term job. Before that there was no real social media (remember one coworker getting the Web TV though before I left) I often wonder how one manager turned out as he had taught me things I still use 20 years later.

Sometimes all we can do is say goodbye, wish them well and accept it as it is. There is the "keep in touch" saying people exchange but usually it turns out to be a polite farewell. So much in life often changes anyway.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:41 AM

765 posts, read 473,702 times
I remember my very first boss whose real life name rhymed with mental-a**, which all the salesmen called him. what a piece of work, i once asked if i could sew together his sleeve jacket up at the shoulder for him, he always looked so disheveled if not downright sloppy. He proclaimed it was part of his sales "technique"...that by looking poor, he would elicit sympathy and people would buy from him out of sheer pity. HUH? i learned that people with integrity in the sales world are pretty much subject to fraudulent behavior. not all, but most

I remember my last boss, who lied about the properties of the knives he was selling online. they were not German steel, they were a cheaper chinese steel, he was being sued by two companies, one of which was that famous juicer (forget the name now) for copyright infringement...he had found a factory in China who would knock off things, and he would put his name on them..... Sheesh!!! His frequent trips to China were not just to visit his factories they were mostly to have sex with 20 year olds who were bilking him for money, and he didn't mind at all, he paid for " surgeries " for their brothers or mothers , he would buy them cars, boats, pay their charge cards off. His wife must have known or at least had suspicions. He told me he thought it was OK for him to do this because his wife and him never had sex any more...... but one afternoon she came downstairs and was kinda annoyed she had cystitis again, all his fault as he knew the doctor said she should not ever be "on top"...... sooooooooo he wasn't only a fraud in his business, put also in his personal life. I walked out on him, just tired of giving away more cheapo knife sets when people were irate about the quality, tired of his temper, his fetish over Taylor Swift (2010, she had just hit the top of the charts) and just disgusting behaviors i found reprehensible. P.S.: he's still claiming he uses only premium high grade carbon steel from Germany!!!!!!!!!!!! he should be banned from the web.

I learned i am a far more ethical person than the people i worked for, I was honest to a fault, I was more trustworthy, that one has to have a large dose of skepticism when dealing with claims of this or that..... PROVE IT PLEASE became my motto.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:54 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I keep im touch with co workers from a few years ago from a long term job. Before that there was no real social media (remember one coworker getting the Web TV though before I left) I often wonder how one manager turned out as he had taught me things I still use 20 years later.

Sometimes all we can do is say goodbye, wish them well and accept it as it is. There is the "keep in touch" saying people exchange but usually it turns out to be a polite farewell. So much in life often changes anyway.
I've always wondered about the "keep in touch" thing that always seems to be stated when someone leaves a job or the neighborhood.

Facing this situation shortly myself (retiring in the near future), I too wonder who will stick, and who will not. There are probably only two or three that I have any real desire to keep on as friends, but I guess I'll truly find out if they feel the same way, once I am not interacting with them on a daily basis.

From past jobs (15 to 42 years ago), I can say there are only two guys and two gal's that I've really kept in touch with. One guy I have coffee with once or twice a week, my wife and I socialize with another guy and his wife 4 or 5 times a year, one gal I see every month or so for lunch, and the other gal I see for lunch once a year for our birthday lunch.

It's sad in a way to lose the connection with those we've felt kind of close to over the working years....but I guess it really does put things into perspective. I "like" these people, because we have a shared responsibility at work....but once that ends, apparently for most of them, we don't like them enough to actually go out of our way to spend any time with them....or they with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment