Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 11:04 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
1 - I'm not implying laziness or think there is something wrong with people who don't want to go into this line of business. I've worked in the industry for years. I've seen that there are some people it doesn't work out for. No different than people who a job doesn't work out for. It doesn't mean the job is bad or the people are lazy - just sometimes the two together are not a good fit.

2 - Correct, some people don't want to do it. That's totally fine.

3 - Some MLM's do offer retirement and health insurance. There's some research to be had if you don't think they do. There are plenty of MLM's that don't require a very large investment. I started with $250. We have options less than that now. (and to be clear, not trying to recruit, just showing another side of it than what's being posted). In addition, while self-employed, you can take advantage of SEP IRA's, individual 401k plans, and countless tax deductions. You do not get paid vacation - I don't think any self-employed person does though.

4 - Just as I wouldn't advise someone who worked at a company to only hire their friends, I don't advise consultants to only recruit their friends.

5 - There are plenty of companies that you can make real money just by selling the products without recruiting someone - I sold over $100,000 in products last year (and for the previous 8 years before that) and made a great commission just on those products (50-65%). Didn't require me to have a team in order to do that.

There are different models out there. They will work for some, not all. Just like a job. If you don't want to work somewhere, or run your own business, don't. If you do, it's an option. That's all.
But do those jobs that don't work out require that the worker pay upfront for the privilege to take that job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 11:52 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This is what they commonly do. Once people are there they will try to stick it-out often even ignoring the initial feeling something is not right due to the fact they already made the effort to attend. They use all sorts of jargon to spin things. Then the implanted visions of lots of free time while making a lot of money. Most wind up disappointed though, often causing friction with family, friends and others.
My thoughts exactly. They're also targeting college students, who haven't had career-type jobs before, and therefore lack the foresight and perspective on what a regular job should be. In other words "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". Which makes them easy to attract with promise of money, free time, etc.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:55 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Really? Almost 100 years after the original "Ponzi scheme", there are still people who don't understand this?

Old 05-18-2018, 12:22 PM

639 posts, read 971,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
But do those jobs that don't work out require that the worker pay upfront for the privilege to take that job?
Some require certain types of clothing, that the employee pay for. However an MLM isn't a job where you just collect a paycheck from a company - it's starting a small business.

Any small business requires start up costs.

Ex: Real estate agents require a license, training classes, business cards, office fees, etc, all of which they pay out of their pocket before they can start.

MLM's aren't any different than buying into a franchise. You pay in to use the company's branding, product, training, set up, etc. Would you say the same about someone buying into a Dunkin Donut's franchise? All of these are the same general concept. For some reason, MLM's are the ones that people like to say are terrible when pretty much anyone who becomes a small business for anything also puts out initial start up costs. There's no guarantees in anything - regular jobs, small businesses alike.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:27 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Really? Almost 100 years after the original "Ponzi scheme", there are still people who don't understand this?
Yes. Because there will always be people vulnerable to this, and smooth talking characters to sell it especially. People get duped into everything from MLM's to cults on a more malevolent level.

No difference from the snake oil salesman of olden times. Plant an idea that takes hold, gain control and get them to align with it. Some people will be sensible enough to walk away, many others will not.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:27 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Some require certain types of clothing, that the employee pay for. However an MLM isn't a job where you just collect a paycheck from a company - it's starting a small business.

Any small business requires start up costs.

MLM's aren't any different than buying into a franchise. You pay in to use the company's branding, product, training, set up, etc. Would you say the same about someone buying into a Dunkin Donut's franchise?
Yes, of course.

The real problems start is when an MLM recruiter passes off a sales business as a regular, wage-type job, and doesn't tell you what it really is until after you spent time going to "interviews" and/or "training". Or worse, until after you bought the start-up materials. Vector Marketing used to do that all the time. Don't know if they still do it.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:34 PM

639 posts, read 971,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Yes, of course.

The real problems start is when an MLM recruiter passes off a sales business as a regular, wage-type job, and doesn't tell you what it really is until after you spent time going to "interviews" and/or "training". Or worse, until after you bought the start-up materials. Vector Marketing used to do that all the time. Don't know if they still do it.

Correct. I agree that is an unacceptable way to do business.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:46 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
A bunch of women in my 'hood got upset a couple years ago when a woman posted on our neighborhood FB page that she thought it would be fun to have a girls' night - drinks, games, whatever. Just a nice meet & greet since our neighborhood is large and it would be a fun way to meet new women in the neighborhood.

Smelling something amiss, I did not attend. Several of my friends in the 'hood did - and it turned out to be a Lipsense party. The attendees were SO ANGRY. NO WHERE in the description of this girls' night did it say anything about it being an MLM party. Everyone truly thought they'd just be hanging out, having drinks, meeting new people and getting away for a few hours.

The next day women flocked to the invite on the FB page and tore the woman a new one, saying it was really devious to promote a girls' night to get to know each other but really have it be for sales. The host apologized and said she never intended to dupe anyone, but the damage was done.
my similar experience:
A coworker is pushing a pyramid scheme on me..?

Old 05-18-2018, 01:05 PM

765 posts, read 473,702 times
NO WAY!!!! PAY THEM TO GET A JOB????

IF YOU WANT A VERY FLEXIBLE JOB TRY VISUAL MERCHANDISING OR GET ON A MERCHANDISING CREW THAT SERVICES ALL KINDS OF STORES.... grocery, department stores, chain pharmacies.

many pay well, you have to make sure you get proper compensation for gas if you don't get a company car, there are many variables to consider, but i spent over 12 years merchandising for Hallmark Cards, Golden Lee Books, Lieberman Enterprises, and GENERAL FOODS...... could plop my kids in a shopping cart .... made sure i always had a manageable territory so i didn't have to put too much wear and tear on my own vehicle.

plus there are per-diem government jobs like in 2020 there will be the next census, should pay around $20, probably much more!!!! an hour , i once worked on Bill Clinton's domestic violence initiative, traveled to Bridgeport, New Haven, Waterbury, Willimantic courts to gather statistics on how that particular court handled domestic violence cases, the recidivism rates, the mandatory programs compliance..... was great work and paid great and i got that small bit of glee knowing my research would formulate new domestic violence laws in all 50 states with directives on how to establish the most effective measures.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
The problem is, these businesses are a saturated market. When there are hundreds of women selling Mary Kay in your city, it's saturated. The fatal flaw in MLM is that you recruit your own competition.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment