Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:31 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
This!

Then she asked if I would take a call from her, so she could "practice" her pitch. No obligation, she assured me. I said yes, and when she called, her "up-level" person was also on the phone. They both assured me it was just for practice. Still fine. Then the other person started asking over and over why I wasn't interested in getting involved. I told her no a few times, at first politely, then more firmly. I finally asked my friend, who was pretty much quiet during the whole thing, what she was doing. .
Oh, it's never "just for practice". I've heard the same thing. "Oh please it's just for practice!"

No. It isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 02:04 PM

639 posts, read 971,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The problem is, these businesses are a saturated market. When there are hundreds of women selling Mary Kay in your city, it's saturated. The fatal flaw in MLM is that you recruit your own competition.

Good luck.
How many hairdressers exist in any given town? How many realtors? How many nail techs? How many fast food restaurants? How many restaurants all together? How many gas stations?

People do business with those they like and trust.

Ultimately - some will do well, some will not. No different than any other business. It's not due to market saturation - in my company, the area with the highest volume of consultants also has the highest concentration of high earners.

I live in a metro area of over 4,000,000 people. I'd have to do a lot of heavy recruiting to saturate the market.

I've lived in a town of 50,000 people - same thing.

I don't consider my team my competition. Or anyone who is in the same company for that matter. There's enough air for everyone to breathe.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:30 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
I saw this article about MLM's - 25 years old and still is true

What's Wrong With Multi-Level Marketing?

Old 05-18-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
How many hairdressers exist in any given town? How many realtors? How many nail techs? How many fast food restaurants? How many restaurants all together? How many gas stations?.
Many of these are franchises. When you open up a franchise business, the corporate office tells you exactly where you can open up your restaurant/gas station, etc. For example, you don't see 10 McDonald's on the same block - if that were the case, none of those McDonald's would do much business, as there would be too much competition within that small area. They have controls in place to help ensure you can get decent profits at your location. But with MLM, nobody is overseeing that. As many people can start a small business as they want to in the same location, and they keep recruiting more and more people. That is why most people in MLMs fail. They recruit their own competition.

As for realtors, yes, many of them fail too because there are simply too many of them.

Ever take a business or economics course in college?

Old 05-18-2018, 03:58 PM

[quote=PriscillaVanilla;51933451]Many of these are franchises. When you open up a franchise business, the corporate office tells you exactly where you can open up your restaurant/gas station, etc. For example, you don't see 10 McDonald's on the same block - if that were the case, none of those McDonald's would do much business, as there would be too much competition within that small area. They have controls in place to help ensure you can get decent profits at your location. But with MLM, nobody is overseeing that. As many people can start a small business as they want to in the same location, and they keep recruiting more and more people. That is why most people in MLMs fail. They recruit their own competition.

As for realtors, yes, many of them fail too because there are simply too many of them.

Ever take a business or economics course in college?[/QUOT

I have a master's degree We're not going to agree. It's fine. All I'll say is this - I have women within my team making over $100k a year, one woman making over $100k a month. The average woman in my organization makes $500-$600 every party (profit, not sales).

The industry exists. The money made is true. If someone would like to take the chance to see if it works for them - fantastic. They can get really good support, information, and assistance with getting their business started in an MLM. If someone would rather constantly put it down and not look at the countless number of people it works for - the only person that hurts is them. We're still making money, either way.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:41 PM

If your MLM was so great, there would be no need at all to recruit anyone. People would be beating the door down to get into these businesses. But they don't, and MLMs have to recruit people like crazy.

These MLMs are often a last resort for people who lost their job, hate working a regular job or have no other options.

And no, "your women" don't make those salaries. 100K a month...yeah, sure.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If your MLM was so great, there would be no need at all to recruit anyone. People would be beating the door down to get into these businesses. But they don't, and MLMs have to recruit people like crazy.

These MLMs are often a last resort for people who lost their job, hate working a regular job or have no other options.

And no, "your women" don't make those salaries. 100K a month...yeah, sure.
I'm very happy to post proof. Would you like a screenshot from the company showing that she had a monthly bonus over $105,000? Pictures of my own personal check stubs? A screenshot of my year-to-date sales? A screenshot of my team's sales? My 1099 from last year? (I'd black out personal info, I'm sure you'd understand). The video showing the results of the women who were recognized last month for their achievements in 2017?

But somehow - I think you're likely going to come up with an argument on that as well.

Again - we're not going to agree. And that's fine. Believe what you want. It's out there. Publicly. MLM's work. Maybe not for all, just as jobs don't work out for all. I'm not going to converse and hijack this thread further about this - if you'd like the screenshots, PM me and I'd be happy to upload them for you.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:08 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
I'm very happy to post proof. Would you like a screenshot from the company showing that she had a monthly bonus over $105,000? Pictures of my own personal check stubs? A screenshot of my year-to-date sales? A screenshot of my team's sales? My 1099 from last year? (I'd black out personal info, I'm sure you'd understand). The video showing the results of the women who were recognized last month for their achievements in 2017?

But somehow - I think you're likely going to come up with an argument on that as well.

Again - we're not going to agree. And that's fine. Believe what you want. It's out there. Publicly. MLM's work. Maybe not for all, just as jobs don't work out for all. I'm not going to converse and hijack this thread further about this - if you'd like the screenshots, PM me and I'd be happy to upload them for you.

Just curious, what do you sell? As I posted earlier, my neighbor sells Herbalife but actually has a nutrition store that uses the stuff to make shakes. They do very well, but only recruit people who want to open an actual store. She's not interested in selling just to friends and family.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:15 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
This!

I lost a friendship of over 30 years thanks to MLM. My college roommate retired from her teaching job, and got involved in a MLM scheme. She asked once if I wanted to get involved, and I told her "no". She kept her distance for awhile, but I noticed on FB that she was going to conferences, and retreats, and getting completely sucked into that life.

Then she asked if I would take a call from her, so she could "practice" her pitch. No obligation, she assured me. I said yes, and when she called, her "up-level" person was also on the phone. They both assured me it was just for practice. Still fine. Then the other person started asking over and over why I wasn't interested in getting involved. I told her no a few times, at first politely, then more firmly. I finally asked my friend, who was pretty much quiet during the whole thing, what she was doing. They both proceeded to whine about "why I wasn't interested in getting rich, and asking why I didn't want to quit my job to make more money and work less hours". I was done at that point, and told my friend that if I heard one more word from her about it, our friendship was over. She continued, "but...." and I disconnected the call. We haven't spoken since.
I also lost a friend over this.

I had a friend who sold Shaklee. She was newly diagnosed with MS and was sucked in to "live a clean lifestyle". She was told by a Rep that if she took the vitamins they sold that she would not need to take any medicine for her MS. She believed it and did start to feel better. If you know anything about MS, is that you will go through periods when you feel amazing and other times not. At any rate, she started selling it and would push it down everyone's throat to the point that's all she cared about. I was more upset that she was being conned into thinking the vitamins were going to cure her MS then bugging me to buy and sell it. She had no interest in me explaining why she need to take her meds. She moved to another state, so I didn't have to listen to it anymore and it was sad that she put so much belief into something that probably didn't do much for her and cost her a ton of money.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I had a friend who sold Shaklee. She was newly diagnosed with MS and was sucked in to "live a clean lifestyle". She was told by a Rep that if she took the vitamins they sold that she would not need to take any medicine for her MS.
It should be illegal for them to make these claims about their vitamins. They shouldn't be giving out medical advice at all, that is shameful and wrong - and puts others at risk. People who sell essential oils are trying to make the same claims to push their products. I wish the FDA would crack down on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment