Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
So does anyone know of countries where they have an agency you can contact to see if there is a need for your skills (like desperate need)
I would recommend teaching English overseas, since those jobs are ALWAYS available (and fairly easy to obtain with any college degree). But judging by the few posts of yours that I’ve read, you would have to brush up on your basic spelling and syntax first - and I don’t say this to be snarky, but as a real suggestion. For example, using “your” instead of “you’re” and “to” vs “too” won’t land you a teaching job! Have you had someone proofread your resume and profiles? Because if they’re riddled with errors, that could be part of your general problem here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 03:13 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I don’t think anyone is saying you can’t or you don’t have free choice, just how smart or not that type of policy is considering where we are at now and the ramifications it has on society.

She is more interested in having "power" over applicants. Says quite a bit doesn't it?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:38 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Can we please stop believing that having a degree is a guarantee of a great, easy life.

The individual person is ultimately responsible for the condition of their life. The degree has nothing to do with it.
Then why do so many jobs call for a degree?

Old 05-24-2018, 09:31 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Pay attention to what jobs require a degree and what degree they require. If you want your college degree to help you get a job, get one of those degrees. Most likely they are math heavy degrees.

A college degree is intended to make you nicely educated, not to provide you with a stylish lifestyle. If you want a college degree to make you employable, you need to be very selective about what you major in.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:25 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Nobody seems to know. As I said, my cousin needed a BS to just get a ticket selling job. No one at her company knows why, because it certainly isn't used.

I think employers are overrating the jobs they try to sell, like people overpricing their stuff on Craig's List and eBay. I saw one ad that wanted a receptionist with 5 years experience who spoke both Chinese and English fluently. They only wanted to pay $10/hour. Just for the privilege of working for them? Sheesh!

The thing I never understood was why can't an employer at least respond to the people who contact them in response to a job posting. If you want someone working for you, you have to be at least a little proactive about it. And calling them six months later for that same job might have worked in 2008. It doesn't work now.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:45 PM

497 posts, read 422,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Nobody seems to know. As I said, my cousin needed a BS to just get a ticket selling job. No one at her company knows why, because it certainly isn't used.

I think employers are overrating the jobs they try to sell, like people overpricing their stuff on Craig's List and eBay. I saw one ad that wanted a receptionist with 5 years experience who spoke both Chinese and English fluently. They only wanted to pay $10/hour. Just for the privilege of working for them? Sheesh!

The thing I never understood was why can't an employer at least respond to the people who contact them in response to a job posting. If you want someone working for you, you have to be at least a little proactive about it. And calling them six months later for that same job might have worked in 2008. It doesn't work now.
Yes, I agree with you. $12/hour to be receptionist and bookkeeper is what I saw. Those job postings do not make sense.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Pay attention to what jobs require a degree and what degree they require. If you want your college degree to help you get a job, get one of those degrees. Most likely they are math heavy degrees.

A college degree is intended to make you nicely educated, not to provide you with a stylish lifestyle. If you want a college degree to make you employable, you need to be very selective about what you major in.
I do pay attention. I also pay attention to what skills the jobs require. As someone who is currently unemployed and has a college diploma(and a few years of work experience). I was turned down for a job for which I have the degree and the skills. I wasn't even given the opportunity for an interview. And this wasn't the only case.

My degree isn't math heavy, I did take a few math courses, as well as some science classes. I also picked up GIS skills.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

Considering that I have a college degree, I wouldn't bother with getting a ticket selling job. I feel like this. If someone wants me to work for $10 per hour, what kind of company is that? If I have a certain level of skill and education, I expect more and I expect better. If a company feels like I'm that worthless, then what's the point?

Here is something else that is bizarre. I got turned down for a few grocery stores jobs. I knew a guy with no college diploma, and probably less skills than me. He was able to get a job at a grocery store, and Home Depot. I got turned down by both places.

And I'm dealing with a situation where the vast majority of employers don't even call me. Many that do send an email stating "we have decided to pursue other candidates", and the like. I'm running into some jobs that explicitly say "only in state candidates". I'd love to report such companies for discrimination.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:24 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,646 times
Quote:
Here is something else that is bizarre. I got turned down for a few grocery stores jobs. I knew a guy with no college diploma, and probably less skills than me. He was able to get a job at a grocery store, and Home Depot. I got turned down by both places.
Because the assumption is that you're only using that as a stop gap until something better comes along. There is such a thing as being overqualified for a job, and if you're listing college and much higher level jobs on your resume, it's highly unlikely that you're going to be happy working for years at a grocery store. Employers don't want quick turnover in any position, as it costs them a considerable amount of money to hire someone.

Quote:
And I'm dealing with a situation where the vast majority of employers don't even call me. Many that do send an email stating "we have decided to pursue other candidates", and the like. I'm running into some jobs that explicitly say "only in state candidates". I'd love to report such companies for discrimination.
And it would go no where. Your location of residence is not a protected class Distance from the work place is a metric that MANY companies have, and many have something like living within 30 minutes of the workplace. Mine is one of those, as my team is on-call 24/7/365. Living 2 hours away makes response time for emergency call outs exceptionally long...

Old 05-25-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Because the assumption is that you're only using that as a stop gap until something better comes along. There is such a thing as being overqualified for a job, and if you're listing college and much higher level jobs on your resume, it's highly unlikely that you're going to be happy working for years at a grocery store. Employers don't want quick turnover in any position, as it costs them a considerable amount of money to hire someone.
To be honest, it would be a stop gap for me. I can't tell a prospective employer that I was doing nothing for a year during a work gap. I've learned that in some skilled positions, employers will look for any reason to weed out a candidate. And given that I have a college education, I would be very miserable and embarrassed to work at a grocery store, the food industry, or any other job that is menial. That being said, I need a job and I need money. In my case, it is all about getting money. I've learned the hard way that company loyalty is a waste. You can be jettisoned the minute you aren't needed.

Quote:
And it would go no where. Your location of residence is not a protected class Distance from the work place is a metric that MANY companies have, and many have something like living within 30 minutes of the workplace. Mine is one of those, as my team is on-call 24/7/365. Living 2 hours away makes response time for emergency call outs exceptionally long...
I know it wouldn't go anywhere. It doesn't make me any less angry. I look at it like this. I need work. I'm willing to leave and relocate if it means I get the job. This is why I apply to alot of out-of-state jobs. I also understand that if I leave and go to another state without a job lined up, I will be homeless. At least where I'm at, I live with my parents. If I leave and go to another state without a job and a place to stay lined up, I'm screwed. I will be hungry and homeless for real.

The jobs I'm looking for don't require someone being on call 24/7. The jobs that I've applied for, that say "only in state candidates will be considered" do not require you to be on call 24/7.

At the end of the day, what matters to me is that I get the job and I have money in my pocket. If neither goal is met, nothing else matters to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment