Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 11:28 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,176,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Bull. The vast majority of lawn care services here are run by people of Hispanic descent, but they have business licenses and insurance. All the ones that I have ever had dealings with were able to provide documentation for both. AND they checked out. So I seriously doubt there is any great number of "illegals" in the biz.

All the evidence is to the contrary. ALL of it. And while businesses do still hire illegals and try to pay them under the table, sooner or later they get caught.

So no. Start your lawn business or don't, either way it has nothing to do with illegals.
No great number of illegals? Seriously.....

Even if the owners are on the up and up with permits, licenses etc..., the labor (i.e. illegals) work for less. That alone takes jobs away. It gives those businesses that use illegal labor a competitive advantage over those that don't to the point that if you aren't willing to break the law and hire illegal labor, you can't compete.

Last edited by High Altitude; 05-19-2018 at 11:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 01:31 AM

5,428 posts, read 4,434,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Can we please stop believing that having a degree is a guarantee of a great, easy life.

The individual person is ultimately responsible for the condition of their life. The degree has nothing to do with it.

A person with a degree has a legitimate gripe if they got a degree and they are homeless. I'll agree that certain degrees are more marketable than others, but having some sort of degree should at least help keep a person from living off the street. It can be interpreted that Bachelor's Degree holders being homeless is a sign of an unhealthy culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Let’s take our engineers and other highly educated people and put them to work at low wage non skilled jobs. Sounds like a great way to build our nation.

And at the same time let’s have all these openings for jobs they could be doing that would put their skills to use that would benefit our nation.

This is exactly what is happening in America today because companies aren’t willing to hire anything but “perfect”, even when those “unqualified” people are perfectly able and willing to do the job.

The amount of growth and prosperity we are leaving on the table as a nation is outrageous.

I agree with this. It seems to be getting more and more difficult to get a good job now.

Quote:
Oh nonsense. "Illegals" are not taking ENGINEERING jobs. Illegals, in fact, are not taking any jobs that a citizen would even want. The population is DROPPING (birth rate is down and has been for years) and we actually NEED immigrants to swell the numbers of people of working age.

Seriously, what have you been smoking?

I disagree. The United States does not need immigrants. Illegal immigrants are like termites that feed off of a healthy host. A culture loses what made it great when illegal immigrants and immigrants from third world nations come in. The Roman Empire collapsed due to this.

Citizens will take any job when illegal immigrants are not present. The United States has done an incredibly poor job taking care of their own while kowtowing to illegal immigrants. In an environment where illegal immigrants were rightfully deported, there would be more jobs for legitimate citizens. Also, there should not be birthright citizenship anymore anyway. To be a U.S. citizen, your parents should be U.S. citizens. These sort of fixes would help the labor market.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:50 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,091,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
It is unfortunate to see such a post. I have seen you being vocal of late about immigrants taking away jobs, but I am truly sorry if you the post if about your present condition. :|

So many IT people in this forum , feel free to PM .

There are Chemical Engineering positions available in safe countries like Kazakhstan, Middle East etc. And dont worry, you wont be killed or treated badly. If you are a White person, you will treated better than a brown or black person in those places.

There are agencies like Bolashak, Hays or Bahwan who deal extensively with Asia and Middle east. Did you try them??
I have started looking into Germany or Russia, and definitely Israel.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:54 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,091,275 times
Quote:
Bull. The vast majority of lawn care services here are run by people of Hispanic descent, but they have business licenses and insurance. All the ones that I have ever had dealings with were able to provide documentation for both. AND they checked out. So I seriously doubt there is any great number of "illegals" in the biz.

All the evidence is to the contrary. ALL of it. And while businesses do still hire illegals and try to pay them under the table, sooner or later they get caught.

So no. Start your lawn business or don't, either way it has nothing to do with illegals.
whether or not they are legal or illegal is largely immaterial, what really matters is that these people under cutting everyone else because they are willing to live 10 to an apartment. They are bringing 3rd world living to the USA and slowly forcing every one else to accept said living standards due to their willingness to work cheap.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:28 AM

1,063 posts, read 693,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
whether or not they are legal or illegal is largely immaterial, what really matters is that these people under cutting everyone else because they are willing to live 10 to an apartment. They are bringing 3rd world living to the USA and slowly forcing every one else to accept said living standards due to their willingness to work cheap.
I rather live 3rd world standards IN the 3rd world and not here. That is one of my key reasons for wanting to expatriate.

I'm not going to live on Bangladeshi wages in Bangladeshi conditions in the USA. The worst of both worlds and the best of none...

Old 05-20-2018, 11:48 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,506,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
I rather live 3rd world standards IN the 3rd world and not here. That is one of my key reasons for wanting to expatriate.

I'm not going to live on Bangladeshi wages in Bangladeshi conditions in the USA. The worst of both worlds and the best of none...
if you cant make it better than that in the US, fleeing to another country wont get better

you take your problems with you, they dont go away

Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,443,911 times
Quote:
You hit on a point. It's what they are willing to do to survive. What are you willing to do? Perhaps that is your limfac.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:51 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,359,329 times
Quote:
If you have degrees and extensive work experience and have had such a hard time finding work that you have become homeless is the problem you or the society in which you live.

Is it insanity to apply for the 200th job from a library computer or to work on finding a new country or home?
I mean how many times can you tweak your resume, do free work (ie voluenteer work), put on a new suit, etc?
Do other countries have government agencies who act as a sort of clearing house that welcome resumes and applications to see if your skill sets, personality, etc are a match for their nation and then facilitate your arrival. Rather than the USA where you just have to sort of randomly go out and apply to what ever you can find. I realize that this might sound like crazy talk for life in the USA but I cant imagine that every single country in the world operates like the USA does.

Really sorry to hear about your difficulties. Sympathetic.
-First things first. Get a real address. Work an entry level position to pay rent. Your lodging doesn't have to be first class neither does the job. Survive.
-When you are "overqualified" then dumb down your resume and clothing for interviews. Lower your expectations. It is temporary until you get yourself firmly on your feet.
-There is something in the way you are presenting yourself that isn't working. It would be helpful for you to attend a job hunting course. USA gov programs.
Career counseling too. Where I live this is a free service subsidized by the gov.
- More jobs are not always advertised. It is helpful to use the yellow pages to cold call businesses about jobs. Stop looking in the classifieds. Too much competition in those.
- Employers are using computer algorithms to select applicants for a short list by scanning for keywords in your resume that match the words in the job description.

I won't go further with a list.

Where I live state/fed institutions that offer free job training, job banks, career counseling, and subsidize further education.

Good luck.

-

Old 05-20-2018, 03:30 PM

1,063 posts, read 693,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
if you cant make it better than that in the US, fleeing to another country wont get better

you take your problems with you, they dont go away
If I have a problem with vague direction which is prevalent in American culture and I emigrate to Japan (hypothetically) where directions are very clear and everything is stratified - And vagueness is discouraged as a part of the local culture - How is that problem coming with me exactly?

Have you worked abroad before????

Are there different problems or challenges to deal with? Yes.

Do problems encountered at home "follow you" to the new land? Absolutely not.

I had different problems working in Spain than I do here. If you are implying that every worker who can't make a job work has a personal problem - Then I guess 99% of workers today have personal problems.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,459,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP...yes, it will only get worse as robots take over, more illegals / immigrants are ushered in by the dems and the pop swells.
Funny, I don't see the 'illegals" taking all the six figure jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment