Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 11:49 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Really? It's impossible that someone who might be "too old" just doesn't interview well?
I've thought of that. Maybe my interviewing skills aren't up to snuff. I always replay in my head what was said and try to remember if I said something really stupid or negative. However, before the age of 50, I would find a job just within days of looking. I've always been able to hold a conversation and answer questions without hesitation and without a lot of filler words - ...well, um, you know.

Although I am not in the job of my dreams right now, when I interviewed and was asked random "what if" questions, the interviewer kept saying "good", "that's great", "I like that" and such. Even with the other interviews I had the interviewers "appeared" to be interested in what I said and with my background.

One position came down to me and one other person. I was initially interviewed by a woman my age who indicated they wanted an older more mature individual and that they had gone the younger route before and it didn't always turn out well. I was called back for a second "informal" lunch interview with her and the owner. Afterwards, she said that I did great and she was hoping to give me good news in a couple of days. She called 2 days later to let me know I didn't get the job because the owner liked the other person better as the "director of first impressions" (this was a front office position). She also told me she was not happy about it because this other applicant did not have what she was looking for as a co-worker.

But, I still am not giving up and continue to send out resumes and am keeping my fingers crossed that the ONE job for me is out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 01:32 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
No, but to be honest I'm in the lower spectrum wages wise. Funny how so many people have come through the company doors and go out within a week or two. All due to "Paperwork"....

I'll be 58 next month. Save for the candles.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:41 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,029 times
you don't say where you are but in northern california the delivery business is big. i was in your same boat although i hated office work which i'd done most of my life. in desperation i juggled 70 hours of retail/fast food jobs and that was killing me with no money to show for it. did six weeks at the post office (never mind that one too!) and even though i eventually got used to standing on my feet all day, am happy to now have a mostly sitting job delivering food. pays better than retail/fast food too. but where i live this is very popular and in busy regions it pays better than the boonies.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Nothing in the OP indicates age discrimination. Admin jobs are not difficult to fill and a ton of candidates. We don't know the OP's skill level or depth of experience. Being at a place for years doesn't mean ones skills are current or marketable.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:50 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,545 times
At age 50 I don't expect to be employed in the traditional sense. I am early 30's and have to build my own business up now to prepare for this.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:46 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,191 times
Just do a google search and you can see that age discrimination is a major roadblock for those over 50. Post after post describes the difficulty for the older worker.

Meanwhile, you have all of the corporate apologists and Monday morning quarterbacks who love to chime in with all of the "you should have known" crap which only makes you feel worse (if you allow it) and probably makes them feel like they know everything about life and are superior. At this point, "should have" doesn't do you any good except rub it in your face.

For us over 50, you will either have to find a way to start your own business which is glamorized and heavily promoted by those who like to sell stuff to people who are desperate. It's always good to be self-employed but of course it's nothing like the commercials make it out to be. You probably know this already. It takes capital, time and luck which some don't have.

Or you can try to find an in-demand field like healthcare or even tech to some degree and perhaps get the skills and education needed to make a go at it. For me, I am self-teaching myself how to code as a possible option.

Or you can keep trying to find a job in your current field - it will take time.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
Just do a google search and you can see that age discrimination is a major roadblock for those over 50. Post after post describes the difficulty for the older worker.

Meanwhile, you have all of the corporate apologists and Monday morning quarterbacks who love to chime in with all of the "you should have known" crap which only makes you feel worse (if you allow it) and probably makes them feel like they know everything about life and are superior. At this point, "should have" doesn't do you any good except rub it in your face.

For us over 50, you will either have to find a way to start your own business which is glamorized and heavily promoted by those who like to sell stuff to people who are desperate. It's always good to be self-employed but of course it's nothing like the commercials make it out to be. You probably know this already. It takes capital, time and luck which some don't have.

Or you can try to find an in-demand field like healthcare or even tech to some degree and perhaps get the skills and education needed to make a go at it. For me, I am self-teaching myself how to code as a possible option.

Or you can keep trying to find a job in your current field - it will take time.
would love to know how you are teaching yourself coding. a company locally (SF) called "bloc" does this but i'm not willing to pay for an unknown at the other end. age discrimination is alive and well.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:04 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I am sorry for the situation you're in. If you need a survival job and do not mind physically touching others (some people do), become a CNA. Or apply for a Pharmacy Tech position. The barriers to entry for both are very low, and there is a fairly high demand. And neither of those jobs requires a degree. If you like the medical field, then try to work and study your way into nursing or Physical Therapy Assistant. I had no problems finding a job at 56, as a physical therapist.
Physical therapy now requires a PHD. And that's NOT inexpensive to get. Physical therapy assistant is easier to get.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Age discrimination being real isn't the issue. The issue is that nothing the OP wrote indicates age discrimination.

Being over age 40 doesn't automatically entitle anyone to a job. All ages have to compete for any open job. Having "years of experience " only matters if ones knowledge and skill set are current and relevant.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Age discrimination being real isn't the issue. The issue is that nothing the OP wrote indicates age discrimination.

Being over age 40 doesn't automatically entitle anyone to a job. All ages have to compete for any open job. Having "years of experience " only matters if ones knowledge and skill set are current and relevant.
the issue is that she is looking for work. if you have nothing relevant to add, you need not post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment