Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 12:02 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,699 times

Advertisements

The Temp-works for the Temp Agency. They probably already had the vacay days approved, prior to working where you are working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 06:25 PM

23,290 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
What makes it strange is a vacation was planned and he was unemployed. Sounds like he doesn't need to be with a temp agency since he can plan a vacation instead of looking for a job.
You seem to be missing the point. A person hired to do a temp job (doesn't matter what sort of position really) had a reason to take time away from the office shortly after being hired. They made an arrangement with management about it. For all you know they were recovering from surgery, had a dying relative to care for, had to relocate, finish a doctorate dissertation, fly around the world in a solar-powered glider, climb Mt. Everest, who really knows. Not your circus, not your monkeys.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:14 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
You are free to negotiate for your own life as well.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:34 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
What makes it strange is a vacation was planned and he was unemployed. Sounds like he doesn't need to be with a temp agency since he can plan a vacation instead of looking for a job.
No. What makes it strange is that someone who works there is questioning that which is not strange at all, but is most likely none of their business.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:56 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No, it's not weird. If you want to dictate vacation times for temp workers, then hire them on as permanent. It's not like your company is paying for their vacation time.
Exactly! One reason many people choose to work as temps is it provides more freedom. Many companies have cut benefits so much that you don' t lose much anyway. The advantage to the company is they can let you go anytime and don't pay benefits. For some reason your company must need this temp or they wouldn't cooperate. When I did temp work I had many companies offer me full time work but I declined.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
One reason many people choose to work as temps is it provides more freedom.
Agreed. A temp doesn't have the same vacation accrual rules that full-time employees have because they don't officially work for that company. For example, a newly hire full-timer might get a set accrual of vacation per month, and cannot take vacation for the first 90 days. Or they cannot take vacation which is not yet accured.

Temps, on the other hand, don't have to follow those rules because those rules are for full-timers.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:07 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
This temp who started with the company in April is now on vacation because it was already planned? I heard of pushing a start date back due to a vacation but a temp working for a month and then going on vacation? So the person who is doing his training has to wait for him to return from vacation so she can continue his training?

Does this sound weird to anyone else?
No. The temp is an independent contractor (or sometimes is an "employee" of the temp firm). Your company apparently decided they wanted the temp, despite the scheduled vacation. It was up to your company.

The advantage to being an independent contractor temp (working periodically in inconvenient locations, having no cache in the work place, having to pay for parking, no benefits, low pay, often crappy kinds of work that no one else wants to do) is that you are in control of your time. You schedule your vacations like anyone else does. When you interview for a long term temp job and learn the schedule, you tell them if you can meet that schedule or not, and it's up to the company to accept or decline & get someone else.

I don't find this odd at all. They aren't employees. They are self-employed (or they work for the temp agency). I was self-employed.

You assume he was unemployed and would want to work at your company, but unless he told you that, that may not be true. It could be he has other plans. It could be that his parents paid for him to go on vacation with them while he's unemployed (many companies don't allow month long vacations for their employees).

Being a temp/consultant/independent contractor places you in MORE of a situation where the worker dictates the schedule, not LESS than an employee does. You have that backwards. A temp applicant is not hired for every job, and he doesn't accept every offer. They're both free agents.

Last edited by bpollen; 05-20-2018 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 11:37 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Why do you think he's "unemployed" and "looking for a (permanent) job"? Did he say that?

I worked contract (temp) for 1 1/2 years. Everyone assumed I was unemployed, looking for a permanent job. I wasn't. I was working contract for a while to get some extra money before fully retiring.

I was self-employed. I could accept or decline any temp job, and the companies could accept or decline me. Maybe the temp has some particular experience that's hard to find, so they wanted him instead of someone else.

If he's young, maybe his parents paid for him to go with them somewhere, while he's unemployed.

It sounds like you're jealous?

it's not jealousy I just never seen a temp do something like this since I been working here. There has been so many temps over the years who was told not to come back due to lateness or missed days so this situation right here is shocking. I don't believe this was discussed before he started and I think he just mentioned this last week. No temp is in position to mention a upcoming vacation to a company so I would not be surprised if I never saw him again.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:52 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
And OP, it is none of your business, what kind of arrangement the temp had with your employer, just as it would be none of your business if a new full time employee had taken a vacation soon after starting which had been pre-approved by your employer.

It happens all the time in the work world. In my corporate days, I was as high with a major old time employer, as Division Sales Manager, with the division covering everything west of Mississippi, river. When hiring someone either permanent or temp, it is not unusual to approve a vacation (unpaid) soon after they start work, etc. If the person has the exact skills you need, and are the best applicant, then the employer makes special allowances to get them to work for them.

And it is illegal for employers to tell the other employees (that is you) what arrangements have been made with the employee. They can tell you the employee (full time or temp), is on vacation, but that is all they are permitted to tell you. In fact if you go around complaining about this person going on vacation, and want to know why it is permitted, can be grounds to fire you for invasion of another employees privacy.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:59 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
And OP, it is none of your business, what kind of arrangement the temp had with your employer, just as it would be none of your business if a new full time employee had taken a vacation soon after starting which had been pre-approved by your employer.

It happens all the time in the work world. In my corporate days, I was as high with a major old time employer, as Division Sales Manager, with the division covering everything west of Mississippi, river. When hiring someone either permanent or temp, it is not unusual to approve a vacation (unpaid) soon after they start work, etc. If the person has the exact skills you need, and are the best applicant, then the employer makes special allowances to get them to work for them.

And it is illegal for employers to tell the other employees (that is you) what arrangements have been made with the employee. They can tell you the employee (full time or temp), is on vacation, but that is all they are permitted to tell you. In fact if you go around complaining about this person going on vacation, and want to know why it is permitted, can be grounds to fire you for invasion of another employees privacy.

It's not my business but since his cubicle is next to mine I couldn't help but notice he was missing the last two days. Then a coworker mentioned something about him letting management know he is going on vacation that was planned ahead of time and that's when I was like really???.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment