Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 09:56 AM

4,948 posts, read 2,702,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Here is evidence that things are a farce with employers:

In times like now, employers claim that there is a skills shortage and that they need more foreigners and more federal programs to push kids into certain career paths, etc.

However, during the Great Recession years, with a massive glut of unemployment, they were STILL whining about a lack of talent and demanding more foreigners and programs in schools to push kids toward certain career paths.

This means that their word is mud and that we can't take their claims that unemployment is low seriously.
That's right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 09:59 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,913,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
You are using the tired old cliche that tries to discredit a person if they are seen as"complaining". Whether a person is complaining or not does not change the subject matter. As for me, I certainly am not complaining because I am comfortably retired and out of that mess.

Your information is false, pure and simple. It is the only data that you provide. People reading these posts will judge for themselves.

Please do not dictate to me as to what and how I should post. I will post anything I want in a polite and professional manner. You are free to post as you wish and so am I.
Then show any data that backs what you claim up, and show proof of what you're saying is incorrect in terms of official statistics being incorrect. I'm asking you to back up what you say with data. You have yet to do so.

Complain
verb
gerund or present participle: complaining
express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event.

That is a pretty good definition of what many people, you included, are doing in this thread. You have every right to complain, but let's call it what it is. If you're going to claim "your information is false, pure and simple" without proof, be careful. That means nothing if you are unable to back up what you're saying with more than an opinion. The facts show very clearly that unemployment is at a 18 year low, but the labor force participation rate has gone down as well. So that raises the question of why have some people simply stopped looking for work? It's not because they can't find it. A person who needs a job, still needs a job. They can't afford to simply give up looking completely. The biggest driver in a lower labor force participation rate is the shift from boomers to gen x that's currently happening.

Last edited by Lekrii; 05-26-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-26-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Here is more evidence: During the Great Recession, employers got really picky, putting people through lots of annoying hoops and made people take a lot of unnecessary tests to get employed.

Now, as far as I know, they STILL have the annoying 2 hour personality tests, they STILL have annoying third party parts of applications where they demand your Social Security number, and they were demanding salary rates from previous jobs as required on online applications (likely to lowball people). Eventually, some states even recently passed some laws against that.

NONE of this should be happening if the unemployment were really at record lows. Employers would be too scared.
Why shouldn't that be happening? A two hour personality test isn't exactly a long process to get a job. It is a lot easier to get a job now than it was 10 years ago.

Quote:
Furthermore, BusinessManIT is correct, they don't count people that have been unemployed for a certain amount of time.
Both of your issue with the formal UI rate is that it does not take into account declining labor force participation rates. I addressed that in previous comments.

At what point do we stop complaining and realize what's wrong with our jobs MIGHT be our faults for making poor decisions, and not an employers?

Last edited by Lekrii; 05-26-2018 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-26-2018, 11:36 AM

17,515 posts, read 13,304,454 times
Quote:
I mean with the lack of training, requiring loads of experience even to get in the gate, age discrimination against older workers, lack of loyalty from management, using algorithms to find "good workers", etc.
I am over 70 and it has always been that way. Get a grip!

Old 05-26-2018, 11:49 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,315,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Employers used to provide more training but now are too bottom-line, short horizon oriented. They are counting on globalization to secure CHEAP talent, especially when birth rates of the American-born workforce is declining and aging at the same time. This is why many in business don't agree with current administration policies and desire no tightening of access of H1b limits.

Was it H1b visas the administration gave an additional 15,000 slots for very recently?

Old 05-26-2018, 12:13 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,700,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I don't think employers are demanding too much. The issue is that a lot more is required to compete in the market. We've seen time and time again what happens when companies fell to diversify or keep with the times. The go the way of Blockbuster (who actually tried hard to stay relevant). It's a brutal market for worker, but that's because it's also a brutal market for companies. Companies really don't have time to train thousands of workers, especially now since the average aptitude for a worker needs to be so much higher. The problem is that there is a growing gap between the average skillset of the average American vs the high demand requirements a company needs to stay competitive. So education definitely needs to become better for the average worker, and right now it's getting worse and worse.

I think we're heading more towards an "uber economy" or for academics, agorist society. In which all work is a contract between two parties. Just think of the "uber model" on a large scale. The "gig" economy where no one really works for anyone. People just work for themselves. To me I think that's the most flexible model, but it won't reward laziness. But I can definitely see corporations breaking off and becoming smaller entities in general.
I think there are going to be some industries where the gig model doesn't work. Retail, service industry, and manufacturing will stay on the hourly/salary model, imho. However, with the advances in technology I can see many office type jobs becoming more gig oriented. You can already contract someone to be virtual assistant, to build any website or app that you can possibly dream up, and to do any writing tasks that you require. I see this trend becoming more widespread into the customer service fields and eventually into most financial roles.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Why shouldn't that be happening? A two hour personality test isn't exactly a long process to get a job. It is a lot easier to get a job now than it was 10 years ago.

Both of your issue with the formal UI rate is that it does not take into account declining labor force participation rates. I addressed that in previous comments.

At what point do we stop complaining and realize what's wrong with our jobs MIGHT be our faults for making poor decisions, and not an employers?
That's right, it is always the employee's fault, never the employer's, especially when employees "complain" about it. And yet when employers complain, their comments have to be taken as gospel truth.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Then show any data that backs what you claim up, and show proof of what you're saying is incorrect in terms of official statistics being incorrect. I'm asking you to back up what you say with data. You have yet to do so.

Complain
verb
gerund or present participle: complaining
express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event.

That is a pretty good definition of what many people, you included, are doing in this thread. You have every right to complain, but let's call it what it is. If you're going to claim "your information is false, pure and simple" without proof, be careful. That means nothing if you are unable to back up what you're saying with more than an opinion. The facts show very clearly that unemployment is at a 18 year low, but the labor force participation rate has gone down as well. So that raises the question of why have some people simply stopped looking for work? It's not because they can't find it. A person who needs a job, still needs a job. They can't afford to simply give up looking completely. The biggest driver in a lower labor force participation rate is the shift from boomers to gen x that's currently happening.
You can keep claiming that your viewpoint is correct, but you keep presenting the same information that is false. Those facts don't measure up to reality. You would have to provide much more proof to back up your claim.

Again, complaining or not complaining does not change the subject matter. Your persistence in pushing this "complaining" matter just makes it seem that you are trying to discredit people that you say are complaining. You say that everyone has a right to complain. Then why keep bringing it up?

Old 05-26-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
You can keep claiming that your viewpoint is correct, but you keep presenting the same information that is false. Those facts don't measure up to reality. You would have to provide much more proof to back up your claim.

Again, complaining or not complaining does not change the subject matter. Your persistence in pushing this "complaining" matter just makes it seem that you are trying to discredit people that you say are complaining. You say that everyone has a right to complain. Then why keep bringing it up?
I have backed up my views with data. You have not. Prove me wrong. That data which I presented show unemployment to be low, and the labor economy to be healthy for employees. What parts of the methodology used to collect unemployment and labor force participation figures do you believe to be inaccurate? Things could be better, but that's always the case. We are in a better labor market than we've been in nearly 20 years. There is no problem with a dysfunctional work environment today, any more than usual. Sure there are still issues (as there always will be), but it's actually a lot better than it has been in the past.

Last edited by Lekrii; 05-26-2018 at 01:47 PM..

Old 05-26-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I have backed up my views with data. You have not. Prove me wrong. That data which I presented show unemployment to be low, and the labor economy to be healthy for employees. What parts of the methodology used to collect unemployment and labor force participation figures do you believe to be inaccurate? Things could be better, but that's always the case. We are in a better labor market than we've been in nearly 20 years. There is no problem with a dysfunctional work environment today, any more than usual. It's actually a lot better than it has been in the past.
You have backed up your views with data that does not match what is going on in the labor force. You will have to get better proof than that to prove your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment