Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

Back in 2006 I worked for a bank services company, that sold software to banks to use on their website. I was looked at favorably by the company until I tried to fix a problem. It was a problem they didn't want me to fix, and it got me in hot water. Basically, to keep it non-technical, there was a process that ran over night (batch job) and it would often get stuck. The issue is that it was a critical process for one of our clients, and needed to be complete everyday before 7AM. We eventually found a way "speed up" the process by finding a way to restart it. However one day we restarted it but we missed the deadline by 3 minutes.

When this happened I got in hot hot water. See the larger story is that the sales team wanted the job to be late. This client was on an old version of our software, but refuse to move because they felt little reason to use the newer version. They felt the older version worked well enough. The proess failing was a bug, but the company refused to fix it. We still had to support the customer because they were a tier 1 customer. Anyway, the sales team strategy was to just keep the bug there, not to have anyone fix it, and then that would pressure this customer to migrate to a our new software. They felt it would probably eventually lead to migration cost, and to renegotiate a brand new contract (probably for even more money).

Me "fixing" the job actually made the company look bad, as it exposed that we could have fixed the process anytime we wanted, but choose to keep it unfixed. I was scorned by the organization for fixing it, and my management my my next 6 months there a living hell. I felt this sales strategy was very unethical, since my job was to fix these issues.

Have you ever been asked by your organization or your superior to do something unethical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 01:22 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Yes, and I ignored their unethical a**es with absolutely zero regrets.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
You mean like how software companies do that to your phones and computers? They stop updating it to get you to get a newer version

Both parties know this takes place. If the customer doesn't like it enough, they will find a new vendor

Old 05-23-2018, 01:33 PM

194 posts, read 222,070 times
Not exactly, but I witnessed unethical behavior and spoke up which made everyone uncomfortable and me the "outsider." This was in the nonprofit world too where we had to service homeless people yet staff would steal the donations and I was the only one that spoke out against it. Needless to say I didn't have many work "friends" at this job nor did I care.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:16 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Yes, and I refused, and they found someone else to do it, I suffered no consequences thankfully.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Yes, and I refused.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yes. And I refused.

I still refuse.

Sadly, it affects some of my performance scores and will eventually affect my pay.

But I do not care. When it does eventually affect my pay, I think I will find legal recourse.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:45 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Yes, was told to invoice for installations that weren't even started, the owner said the customer was so big, they wouldn't even notice.

One of the many, many reasons I resigned right after that.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:45 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,681 times
Often times, companies test employees by asking them to do unethical things just to see if they'll do it, and most employees bite the bait every time. I haven't been asked to do anything unethical, and hope I never have to. To be honest, I'd tell my superior(s) straight up, I'm not jeopardizing my good standing with this company because you guys want me to do something unethical. For all we know, you guys could be setting me up to take the fall, and I'm too smart for that.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:53 AM

801 posts, read 547,684 times
Yes, at Wells Fargo.

I was being push to give customer partial truth about credit cards and new accounts to sign them up. I refused and quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment