Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:45 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'd love to work in a theater, like a performing arts theater.
This isn't that; this is "refill the large Fantas of the bratty six-year-old twins before they start pulling their mom's hair and complain about how much of Monsters University they're missing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 01:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Maybe it's because they don't want to put up with the soul sucking corporate game to get a paycheck.

I'll tell you what I feel when I see someone working at Whole Foods/Trader Joes/Target.

I feel a little jealous. People can say what they want about working retail. Working at those places would be easy. And I don't have to work tons of unpaid overtime. And I'd have energy to pursue what I'm really interested in after work.

That's why musicians and artists work in retail and lower-wage jobs. It gives them a flexible schedule to pursue what they really want to do in life.

Who gives a sh@t how much $ Joe, Bob, and Billy make at age 37?

Do you truly, honestly enjoy your job? Then, I'm jealous. But if you do, you wouldn't be rubbing it in other people's face. You'd be helping them to find the same.
Excellent response to what was a very snide comment.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:20 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,023 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
And do you know of any? A woman who I am friends with is 38 and has never had a good job or career. I know from talking with her she did attend college but dropped out saying it was too stressful. She has never been married or had kids. Also, while not a psychologist not to be mean but she does seem a bit "slow" kind of like a mild form of autism but that is just me.

She currently lives in an apartment by herself except for her cat and her 70 year old mother is always helping her out, which is great but she won't be around forever. She also just recently got fired from the fast food place she worked at. I think it's sad really.

Do you know of someone similar?
Some people are very happy w no career or fast food like this lady. I feel if somebody doesn't have a good job it is b/c their parents did not supply them w confidence and college. So it is hard to be upset w them, when typically it is the parents faught. I'm sure there are exceptions where the person was given everything and failed but I have never met one. Everyone of my friends that had good parents and completed college have great jobs. And the friends w horrible parents or no parents have no job or one that goes nowhere.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:27 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
There are a few exceptions of course as with anything but they generally are few and far beteeen. Also, how old are you? Did you enjoy a nice long successful career before the country went to crap? Before massive unemployment, underemployment and ridiculous cheap employers with their ridiculous cheap hiring practices along with massive outsourcing?

It used to be 1000x easier to “make something of yourself” in America than it is now
We're in our 40's. I was in my mid 30's when I reentered the workforce after years of being a SAHM. Had no problems doing so! DH has been at the same company 20 years as a Mechanical Engineer and none of the jobs there (which is HUGE international company) are being outsourced. I also have cousins who are millennials and they have not had a hard time finding jobs either. Many factors go in into that, such as not getting a crap degree that's useless (like Bible studies). Also, location is key. We're in the Chicagoland area. No shortage of jobs here! If you can't find a job, move to a bigger city!

Old 05-25-2018, 02:11 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Nope I sure don't feel bad for those who didn't get up and go (Like me), nor am I impressed by those who did. That fat paycheck, 4 bedroom house, company car, nice travel packed retirement means nothing when you're dead. Those who make the big $$$ still will not live forever and nothing what they do (Or what I do) will further the time they have on earth.

In the grave, we are ALL equal.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:26 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times
There are people who will spend their whole lives working a series of low-wage jobs instead of a 20 or 30 year career in some specific field. Could be retail, agriculture, construction, etc. Just the fact that they are working is a plus for them, in my opinion.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:31 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It’s all about opportunities and luck mainly. You either generally have luck or you don’t. If the opportunities aren’t there then they just aren’t there

Most of life is generally just blind LUCK and some people just generally have more luck and opportunities than others regardless of how hard they work or the education they have
Sorry, but this is nonsense.
Success correlates highly positively with intelligence.
It's no guarantee, but over a lifetime, 'luck' or whatever mystical force you believe in, plays a very small role.
The most relevant aspect of chance is, however, the abilities and values you receive from your parentage.

Re the OP: I don't feel bad for people I don't know, and I don't know any people like who you describe.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
There are people who will spend their whole lives working a series of low-wage jobs instead of a 20 or 30 year career in some specific field. Could be retail, agriculture, construction, etc. Just the fact that they are working is a plus for them, in my opinion.
Not to mention the fact that many people in higher-paying jobs, may go through long periods of unemployment. So over time, they may be in the same financial position as the person with the lower-paid, steady employment.

Layoffs are a reality of the career world today.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:50 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Excellent response to what was a very snide comment.
The last part of that post actually wasn't addressed to that poster, but just to people in general.

I believe most people don't truly enjoy or find meaning in their jobs and that is the reason they put down others who make less money or have less powerful jobs. They resent other people who don't have to 'toil' as hard as they do or their salary and promotions define them as opposed to what they actually do.

If I could work at a music shop 20 hours a week and sell guitars and make 95K a year doing it, then the last thing I would care about is who makes what and who managed to work their way into a good salary by age 40 and who didn't.

I'd be happy with what I had and be trying to help other people get the same.

Last edited by jobaba; 05-25-2018 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-25-2018, 03:16 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,339 times
Life is tough, let God pity you, if He wants to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment