Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:16 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
This is a bunch of crap! I grew up in a poor family in a not so good area. Father was a drunk and couldn't keep a job and my mom worked as a waitress her entire adult life since she had no other skills. I could have fallen into the same category, but there's a point where you're then responsible for your OWN life and can make the decision to either be a loser or be successful. I put myself through college by working and going to school full time. I've had a successful career every since, even after taking time off to be a SAHM.

Life is what you make of it and if you're handed lemons, turn it into lemonade!
There are a few exceptions of course as with anything but they generally are few and far beteeen. Also, how old are you? Did you enjoy a nice long successful career before the country went to crap? Before massive unemployment, underemployment and ridiculous cheap employers with their ridiculous cheap hiring practices along with massive outsourcing?

It used to be 1000x easier to “make something of yourself” in America than it is now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 10:21 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
There are a few exceptions of course as with anything but they generally are few and far beteeen. Also, how old are you? Did you enjoy a nice long successful career before the country went to crap? Before massive unemployment, underemployment and ridiculous cheap employers with their ridiculous cheap hiring practices along with massive outsourcing?

It used to be 1000x easier to “make something of yourself” in America than it is now
its also generally easier to do it when you stop blaming other people and just get on with making something of yourself part

Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

I agree. People of my parent's generation didn't deal with all the layoffs and outsourcing there is nowadays. They simply have no idea so they sit back and judge, judge, judge.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:43 AM

626 posts, read 626,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Every hear the saying "luck is where preparation and opportunity meet?" There's a lot of truth there. Certainly sometimes extreme things happen. You could get hit by a bus. But in the general context of life everyone has opportunities. You don't know when and where. And they are sometimes disguised. It's kind of like the discussions on education. Some people see education as an end and don't understand why their education didn't give them anything. Others understand it's a beginning and grow from there.

I really wonder if high school athletics can be the cruelest thing a school can do. On the one hand I support the values like teamwork and discipline. My own kids were athletes in high school. But both knew that academics was more important. Yet on the other hand there are too many kids, esp in football it seems, who just happen to be a bit better than the other kids in that area. So the coaches tell them how wonderful they are. And the fans are glowing all over them. In high school they are cool. They are heroes. Then college comes and they find out they really weren't all that and a bag of chips. Suddenly they are no longer heroes. And the fans and coaches are gushing over the next 17 year old while they are forgotten. High school was the high point of their lives, now it's downhill from there. And school didn't prepare them, in fact set them up for failure.
The thing is that my family did try to prepare us but he was always more concerned about social status and having fun than working or studying. He went to college and pretty much decided he didn't want to work that hard to succeed and dropped out. He has only really done menial labor since 2006. When he got out of prison the last time in 2016 a buddy of his set him as a HVAC assistant to him and he did that for a couple months. The he moved over to a Electrician Apprentice and worked his way up to $18 an hour with benefits. This was all well and good he was working at a good job providing child support for his 2 kids and even insurance.

Then he got hooked up with drugs again and it went downhill from there back to getting arrested. He has no one to blame but himself in reality and I don't feel bad for him, finally my mother has stopped enabling him.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:48 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
This is an excellent topic for discussion.

I think it boils down to a simple answer, though -- Some people are just not very ambitious or competitive and/or they are just happier being in a subservient role. I have an above average IQ, but I just never wanted any kind of high powered career, and I have never been very materialistic, plus I am also a compulsive worrier and I don't like stress.

There have been probably a dozen times or so that people have wondered aloud to me as to why I didn't do "better". However, I find other ways to stimulate my mind, and I have a nice home, a good husband, and a good marriage, and I am generally very happy -- and I know many people who have good careers who can't say the same.

(Oh, and btw, I am now almost 65 and mostly retired, but I am now working as a part-time wine consultant in a very large liquor store, and I "love" my job -- so just because you see a senior citizen working at a minimum-wage type job, please don't automatically feel sorry for him or her -- they might be working because they WANT to.)

Last edited by katharsis; 05-25-2018 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-25-2018, 12:03 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
No, absolutely not. I used to work at:
Sea world
Six flags
Whataburger

Like many kids it was a summer job between school and most would quit as they go back to school or college. However, there were a portion of folks who were middle aged and intended to use these jobs as some type of career. The military is too “hard” for them as well as college.

Well, I did both and they’re still flipping burgers. There’s certainly nothing wrong with people choosing to smell like fast food their entire life, but often these are the first people complaining about a lack of an living wage.
L

Old 05-25-2018, 12:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
Really interesting. Do you think at that age it's even worth say, going back to school and getting a degree and trying to start a new career?
He will need some additional education. That doesn't mean going to college full time.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

(Oh, and btw, I am now almost 65 and mostly retired, but I am now working as a part-time wine consultant in a very large liquor store, and I "love" my job -- so just because you see a senior citizen working at a minimum-wage type job, please don't automatically feel sorry for him or her -- they might be working because they WANT to.)
I would love to be a wine consultant at a liquor store. I considered applying for a part time job doing this as it paid $20 an hour. It would also be fun, interesting and I'd learn a lot of about wine.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:40 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This is an excellent topic for discussion.

I think it boils down to a simple answer, though -- Some people are just not very ambitious or competitive and/or they are just happier being in a subservient role. I have an above average IQ, but I just never wanted any kind of high powered career, and I have never been very materialistic, plus I am also a compulsive worrier and I don't like stress.

There have been probably a dozen times or so that people have wondered aloud to me as to why I didn't do "better". However, I find other ways to stimulate my mind, and I have a nice home, a good husband, and a good marriage, and I am generally very happy -- and I know many people who have good careers who can't say the same.

This x 10.

In any case, a 'successful' and 'decent' career is going to be defined by salary, and ... salary.

A corporate M&A attorney who makes $230,000 a year is always going to be seen as successful, and "Look at what my son Johnny has become." when ... I cannot imagine a more miserable job.

OTOH, somebody working at an aquarium making $18/hr who may be very happy is a failure.

Go figure...

Old 05-25-2018, 12:44 PM

403 posts, read 363,852 times
Hmm I have thought about it actually. If someone is older but doesn't make much, they're either 1. Have tried and struggled but still failed (a lot of factors can play into this) 2. Actually content where they are and lives a simple life (good for them) or 3. the wreck-less ones that that doesn't even try.
I feel quite bad for #1, especially because I am younger and work in recruiting.. so being in my field, I ask for the incoming candidates about their salary expectations and sometimes I'm quite surprised the answer I get. For example, just the other day I was on the phone with a guy with over 10 years experience as a Sales Dev Rep- he was asking for $60k salary. He sounded like a nice guy over the phone with some solid experience.
And looking through resumes every day, there are people who have really good experience and academia credentials but their salary is on the low side. ::shrug::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment