Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 04:36 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times

Advertisements

I work for a technical company that hires EEs.

We're now trying to hire new grads and have been turned down by two in a row because our salary offers are too low. We offer just $65K to start. I think we're about 9% below market.

Of course Management doesn't want to deal with it because it impacts the entire wage structure. If you hire a new person at the market rate and it is a rate higher than you pay current staff, you'll end up with a lot of rightly disgruntled employees. To adjust the entire structure costs too much.

Are you seeing this in your workplace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 05:25 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
My employer pays good wages and doesn't have any trouble attracting or retaining people. Our turnover rate is quite a bit lower than the industry's.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I recently hired two people at about that pay (not tech) but we required two years experience, and have not had a problem getting good candidates to accept.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:35 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
We are seeing some compression at the lower levels, not quite so much at the higher levels yet.

I think that this is likely to accelerate though, as we are seeing fewer qualified applicants for each open position, and if we have to increase salaries at the lower levels that will put pressure on the mid- and high- earners.

Having fewer applicants is actually nice in some ways though. We no longer have to wade through dozens of applications, interviewing several highly qualified applicants, any of whom would do a fine job. My last open position only attracted about 20 applicants, of which only 8 or so were really qualified, and the decision after interview was easier.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:51 AM

119 posts, read 95,411 times
I'm still seeing lots of crummy $10/hr jobs on the job boards. Is this economy in a depression? I can't imagine that wages are going to go up if companies are still paying that little. There is simply no demand for labor because there are too many unemployed people out there. The real unemployment rate must be 30%.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:43 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Management doesn't want to deal with it because increasing wages means lower bonus checks for them.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:05 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
I'm still seeing lots of crummy $10/hr jobs on the job boards. Is this economy in a depression? I can't imagine that wages are going to go up if companies are still paying that little. There is simply no demand for labor because there are too many unemployed people out there. The real unemployment rate must be 30%.
Costs of living have increased. Wages have been depressed for years. Anyone seeking work are not targeting low wage jobs long-term.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:14 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Yes, we are seeing the same thing. Very hard time hiring new engineers and scientists. Federal gov expects to hire them at GS5-GS7 which is $20K - $25K less than what you're offering. We've gone through a long line of offers over the last year with very few acceptances.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:37 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
My employer pays good wages and doesn't have any trouble attracting or retaining people. Our turnover rate is quite a bit lower than the industry's.
I'll echo this, except we do have trouble finding good people, as we need specific experience, either in certain technologies or verticals. But I don't think many people, other than killer (maybe in their own mind) sales people, who leave my current employer.

To respond to OP, $65K for an EE sounds low. If they can't hire people they want to keep, and keep them; either they need to change, or they'll go under.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I'll echo this, except we do have trouble finding good people, as we need specific experience, either in certain technologies or verticals. But I don't think many people, other than killer (maybe in their own mind) sales people, who leave my current employer.
For the most part, we train and promote from within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment