Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 07:10 AM

329 posts, read 204,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbieontheblock86 View Post
I have been pretty much bullied mainly by my manager and some of my peers during my whole entire tenure of three years at my current company I never reported it and probably will not as I have decided it’s best to just move on and find work elsewhere . As you know in my previous posts I work in a contact center and with mainly woman where there are cliques , cutthroat, backbiting , cattiness . I’ve gotten used to it for the most part and really didn’t think about if anyone might have been going through the same situation. I just recently found out there are a couple of us who are being bullied . Yesterday one of my team mates confided in me she herself has been bullied and harassed so harshly that she sees a therapist . And made me feel a sigh of relief as I had all this time blamed myself , my main thought was what was it about me that made me dislikeable
And then I asked myself well who are the main victims of this so called “workplace mobbing “ that seems to permeate our work culture . It seems if you are mean , vindictive , a gossiper then you are accepted . The worst thing about of it all is top management knows about it and does nothing .what does that say about the company and who’s to blame ?
It's easier for men. I invite my group for drinks after work once in while and don't have these problems.

But getting to your question, no one's to blame. Our society has a mechanism to weed out "different people". It's sad, but we live in a world where complying with groupthink = success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 12:21 PM

177 posts, read 131,643 times
My boss just told me “she is not trying to knock me off my pedestal “
Wtf kinda of a statement is that supposed to mean..

Old 05-29-2018, 12:29 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbieontheblock86 View Post
My boss just told me “she is not trying to knock me off my pedestal “
Wtf kinda of a statement is that supposed to mean..
The moment you start parsing everything she says, that means she's winning.

There are ways to beat a bully (I don't mean physically). You just have to look at the situation as a problem that's solvable, rather than an existential crisis as you seem to want to at this moment.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:20 AM

7 posts, read 4,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
The moment you start parsing everything she says, that means she's winning.

There are ways to beat a bully (I don't mean physically). You just have to look at the situation as a problem that's solvable, rather than an existential crisis as you seem to want to at this moment.
I'm interested in the ways to beat a bully.

I'm not bullied at work but one of the women in our office is constantly talked about, laughed at and ends up doing the largest amount of work. I've said to the others to lay off and stop taking the mick but they just carry on after giving me daggers and going in the huff with me for days.

I can see her losing her confidence every day but don't have a clue how to help.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:50 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
My boss is a mean bully. Sometimes they pick on others, sometimes they pick on me. If they pick on me they get an argument and backtalk. I try to embarrass them. They don't pick on me so much now.

Another manager is also a bully. They were fired from their last job due to bullying. One time I was put in a situation where I was asked by someone else to help out a client urgently. The bully came along afterwards and told me off for interfering. This infuriated me so much I wrote a mean E-mail to the CEO asking why I should take their company seriously (this is a top 500). Amazingly they replied back in 2 hours and took my side. The bully doesn't pick on me so much now.

If you're in a situation where people are pushing you around, find ways to be tougher. Bullying does not help you, it doesn't help the company, or the client, only one person wins - the bully. It took a long time to find a voice but people do not bully me anymore.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:14 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
What’s even more sad is your willingness to roll over and let yourself be kicked in the nads on a continuous basis. Stand up for yourself and take charge of your life! This person needs to be reported to everyone you can think of.
Bullying exists because the higher ups are bullies too. If the organization gave a care, there would not be any bullying in there.

So if this is the case here, the OP reports to everyone they can think of and oops, does that make things better?

Old 06-10-2018, 08:50 AM

469 posts, read 637,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Bullying exists because the higher ups are bullies too. If the organization gave a care, there would not be any bullying in there.

So if this is the case here, the OP reports to everyone they can think of and oops, does that make things better?

I have learned this to be the case. Where there is a bully manager, the higher ups are bullies also but hide it better. They send the bully out to do their bidding and they enjoy watching the show.

You can't win, you have to find another job for you sanity.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:12 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
My experience was so traumatic that I do not want to work with people again. I am so angry. I enjoyed working with my clients. I liked my job.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneday in your life View Post
I'm interested in the ways to beat a bully.

I'm not bullied at work but one of the women in our office is constantly talked about, laughed at and ends up doing the largest amount of work. I've said to the others to lay off and stop taking the mick but they just carry on after giving me daggers and going in the huff with me for days.

I can see her losing her confidence every day but don't have a clue how to help.
There are multitudes of online resources and/or books that address bullying. But, you can't help, she has to be able to help herself. Taking on someone else's problems is the quickest way to life of misery.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:33 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
In just about everyone's work life we all meet a-holes. How you deal with it is up to you. Either find a new job or outsmart them at their own game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment