Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 11:35 AM

5,887 posts, read 3,879,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Good points, OP. Employers do read facebook pages of applicants and employees, or may be told of comments by colleagues.
I also read Facebook pages of employers. Have to admit that I do get a kick out of it when I see managers (and other employees) of the company writing 5 star reviews and trying to convince the public that they're just some random customer. I mean, if you're going to do that, don't be dumb enough to publicly list that you work at the specific company when I click onto your profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 12:01 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,111,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Good points, OP. Employers do read facebook pages of applicants and employees, or may be told of comments by colleagues.

I see some of my facebook friends always talking about getting high or pics of blunts etc and im like, do you all even want a real job in life and who on earth is hiring you now in your current state, as most low wage jobs tend to drug test more than higher wage jobs.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:28 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,659,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I also read Facebook pages of employers. Have to admit that I do get a kick out of it when I see managers (and other employees) of the company writing 5 star reviews and trying to convince the public that they're just some random customer. I mean, if you're going to do that, don't be dumb enough to publicly list that you work at the specific company when I click onto your profile.
Facebook has starred reviews?

Old 05-29-2018, 02:36 PM

5,887 posts, read 3,879,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Facebook has starred reviews?
Prior to attending any interview, I always research the company online. I did view a few companies Facebook pages, where users could review (as well as rate) the company. There were legit real reviews from customers who used the products and shared their positive/negative experiences. However, there were also many positive reviews, as well as 5-star ratings, posted from management and some employees which were mixed in with the legit consumer ones. I thought these were unbiased reviews until I clicked on some of the users profiles which allowed me to see their current workplace information -- which was listed as working at that specific company.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:21 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Most employers are not 420 friendly. Unless you're working for a dispensary.
Not true. I've literally NEVER worked for an agency (mostly county/city public service jobs) that tested for THC, or cared what you do on your own time... maybe attitudes are different here in California, but unless your job involves driving or operating heavy machinery, most only have the policy of "don't show up to work under the influence."

And in response to the OP, isn't it better they ask first than to waste everyone's time if they won't pass the tests? Especially since it stays in your system for up to 30 days, they SHOULD ask before applying. And as I just said, there are companies and organizations that wouldn't be offended by (or red-flag you for) the question.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:25 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Quit asking because they'll then have your name tagged as "Suspicious" and even if you do pass their test, they may tell the client to retest at various times and thus getting you fired.
I may be wrong (and/or it could depend on the state), but isn't that illegal? I thought the testing policies had to be applied equally to all employees, unless they were injured on the job... so I'm pretty sure you can't single out one person for "extra" testing, simply because they admitted to personal use on a Facebook page.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:53 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,360,206 times
WHAT I do not understand is that many Marijuana users are NOT always using THC content "Smoke".. The number of MedicalMarijuana users have ZERO content of THC> Meanwhile those that have socially using Marijuana.. versus Alcohol... I much preverfer to intact with a Marijuana user ( HC wise) because alcohol when abused often brings out Aggressiveness.. Marijuana NOT so much.

BUT, when suppliers of it when controlled..is often spiked with toxic harmful additives! Personally,I don't partake and other than trying it.. ( 40+ years ago) .. I didn't like it... especially because it caused extended AFFECTS when short on sleep ( shift worker/12 hours)

I'm going back like 42 years ago.. had hubby who partook.. ( not me) but my job at the time would have been at risk.. SO given the evolution of thinking and realizing the POSITIVE side of it ( believe me during the 4 decades I learned the health POSITIVE affects) and saw acceptance of it for Health reasons. IF anyone who deals with persons/family/friends who suffer neurological issues ( MS/Seizures/Chronic Pain) and see the +++ Affects should never ever slam it!

I'd bet if someCorporation had some Executive with some sort of ISSUE.. They'd be the first to accept that they require his ability to partake... BTW~~ Most Medical Marijuana has no THC!

Then I just read that THC somehow decreased some sort of Protein in the brain the actually HELPS Alzheimer's ... and it's NOT just a thought.. but a well thought and testings!!

Cannabis Takes on Alzheimer's and Dementia Successfully

https://www.leafscience.com/2017/12/...imers-disease/

There are tons of links that speak to this issue~~

SO, may I suggest one does NOT throw out the "Baby with the bathwater" considering just what Marijuana offers! Buying prescriptions is more of a "Cr@pshoot" then Regulated Marijuana... and sorry, I would pt my $$ on it.. whether not I need it personally!! Far too many our there ( kids and adults/elderly ) who needs with oversight by Physician to POOPOO it!

Old 05-29-2018, 06:04 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,098,339 times
Don't care much for potheads.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
It is a Workman's Comp issue to test you if you get injured on the job. No way around that.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:47 PM

30,030 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I got my job through a temp agency. Like many they don't accept THC users. But when I look on their FB page, I see several people asking "What is your attitude towards THC users?" I can tell you it's "NO WAY YOU'LL WORK FOR US" It's better to assume that this is the attitude of EVERY agency.

Quit asking because they'll then have your name tagged as "Suspicious" and even if you do pass their test, they may tell the client to retest at various times and thus getting you fired.

I worked for Walmart. They tested at first then never again, unless you got hurt in an accident. I knew several who quit for 45 days then after they passed the UA, went back to using it. One even told me that if he was ever to be tested after an accident, he'd just quit instead of getting fired.

But really, asking their policy is similar to waving a red flag at them.....Just believe they WILL test and so you won't "Expose" yourself and your private usage of marijuana.
Several years ago I had to do a background and drug test for a part time position with a non profit I was going to work for. I have never used drugs and have never gotten into trouble. I was sort of offended at first having to go through this.

But then it hit me. All these people who can't stay off drugs or have a bad background are making it much easier for someone like me or you. Less competition.

You get instant job security as these yahoos either never get the job or get busted with a failed drug test.

You should be happy they are who they are instead of angry with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment