Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:35 AM

8 posts, read 4,110 times

Advertisements

So I need some work advice. I have a job offer and I am trying to decide what to tell my company why I'm leaving. I have only been there 5 months but I do not get a long with the other person I work with that has the same job as me. When I first started a few weeks into my job my supervisor asked me to do his paperwork for him because he did not have time. At first I was like sure but then I realized it was because he just hating doing it. He and my supervisor go out together to the post office and will be gone for 2 hours. He goes with her to pick up smoke detectors or to go to staples and they are gone for hours. He will go out to pick up a smoke certificate and is gone for hours. He then started to ask me to do other work of his and I said to him NO. So I finally stuck up and said to my supervisor, listen I can not handle all my paperwork and his and he needs to take it back. Well now he will not look at me or speak to me and we sit side by side. So it is very awkward everyday. I want to be honest and tell them I am not comfortable in this work environment and I am leaving but do you give a notice. I can't picture telling them that and than sitting next to him for another 2 weeks with him knowing the situation because I know my supervisor will tell him because they are best buddies!! Since i have only been there 5 months I will not be putting them on my resume or need them for a reference.

Last edited by Veterans1933; 05-27-2018 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 08:43 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
"I'm leaving to pursue other opportunities."

That's all they need to hear. You don't even have to volunteer that in your resignation letter.

Keep it simple and friendly on your way out the door, since you might need to use this employer as a reference.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:47 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
It is a professional sign of courtesy to give a 2 week notice. But once you do, then YOU are in the driver's seat. Management has to kowtow to you if they want to see you work out those two weeks. If you are disrespected in any way or for any reason, then you can just walk out immediately, saying that you were not treated well. If that coworker is belligerent toward you or does anything you don't like then leave immediately. Remember, once you give the two week notice, you have the power, not management and certainly not your coworkers.

Definitely DO NOT tell anyone there where you are going. You can say that you are keeping it confidential. That is what I did when I left my jobs. No one ever said anything about that, and if they do for you then tough for them.

Last edited by BusinessManIT; 05-27-2018 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Adding

Old 05-27-2018, 08:51 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Yes, always give a two week notice. Just let them know that you're leaving. If they ask why, say you have another offer and you've decided to take it. That's all they need to know and they won't ask for more details, most likely. If they do, just decline to answer. They might just ask you to leave immediately. If so, that's fine. I wouldn't really worry about the other employee; he knows that you might just walk out at that point, so he'll probably just benignly ignore you.

However, for future reference, you generally need to do what your supervisor asks you to do unless it's illegal or immoral or it's stopping you from getting your own work done (and in that case, you can ask how he or she would like you to prioritize the work). Yes, you might get stuck doing paperwork or whatever. That's how it is when you start a new job.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:14 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
What others have said good advice when it comes to sharing why you are leaving and where you will be going. It may be that your prospective employer checked on your current employment so someone may have a heads-up. Try to neither confirm or deny that information.

I would add that BEFORE YOU GIVE NOTICE you obtain contact information of others you may want to contact in the future and bring that information home. Also remove your personal effects from your office. It is very possible that your employer will terminate your computer network privileges and office access upon receiving notice.

Take the high road during your last days of employment. Speak well of everyone even if that is not how you feel.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:28 PM

192 posts, read 147,301 times
Give notice. You'd be amazed how small the world is, or how often you run into people you thought were gone from your professional life for good.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:31 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
you definitely need to stay long enough to go through the exit interview or at least let HR know that you are leaving because the supervisor has an inappropriate relationship with your coworker and they are giving you more work than you were hired to do.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:46 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
"I'm leaving to pursue other opportunities."

That's all they need to hear. You don't even have to volunteer that in your resignation letter.

Keep it simple and friendly on your way out the door, since you might need to use this employer as a reference.
I agree with this! Give s 2 week notice. They don’t need to know why you’re leaving; however, if its to go to a competitor than in that case they might not honor your notice and ask you to leave right away. In that case they still need to pay you off the two weeks.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:50 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Yes, always give a two week notice. Just let them know that you're leaving. If they ask why, say you have another offer and you've decided to take it. That's all they need to know and they won't ask for more details, most likely. If they do, just decline to answer. They might just ask you to leave immediately. If so, that's fine. I wouldn't really worry about the other employee; he knows that you might just walk out at that point, so he'll probably just benignly ignore you.

However, for future reference, you generally need to do what your supervisor asks you to do unless it's illegal or immoral or it's stopping you from getting your own work done (and in that case, you can ask how he or she would like you to prioritize the work). Yes, you might get stuck doing paperwork or whatever. That's how it is when you start a new job.
I think it was the co-worker who was passing his work on the OP.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:51 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I agree with this! Give s 2 week notice. They don’t need to know why you’re leaving; however, if its to go to a competitor than in that case they might not honor your notice and ask you to leave right away. In that case they still need to pay you off the two weeks.
No, they don't have to pay him the 2 weeks. Once you give notice, you have quit. They can tell you to get your stuff & leave, and not pay you anything more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment