Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 03:17 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
They do but thats only because those are generally extremely high skilled jobs and you are still at-will so when your services are no longer needed your out the door.
When your services are no longer needed, why shouldn't you be out the door?

Would it be OK if you called a plumber, and he fixed the problem, but then said, "You know, I don't have any more jobs, so I'm just going to hang around here and you're going to keep paying me, because I have a family to feed and a mortgage"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 04:23 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
When your services are no longer needed, why shouldn't you be out the door?

Would it be OK if you called a plumber, and he fixed the problem, but then said, "You know, I don't have any more jobs, so I'm just going to hang around here and you're going to keep paying me, because I have a family to feed and a mortgage"?
When you call a plumber there is an understanding that he or she is there to fix something specific. When he or she is done they move on to their next appointment. Doing contract work operates on that basis. Contract work is highly compensated. Many make two to three hundred thousand a year.

When you talk about employment you very coldly equate it to a worn out piece of equipment. The compensation is no where as good as contract employment because it is understood to be longer term.

It takes a pretty cold heart to dispose of employees with such disregard. Congratulations you have an excellent future in HR.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:17 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
This is why we need unions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOwH1M3JPKk

Old 06-04-2018, 12:20 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
This page can’t be displayed

•Make sure the web address https://www.youtube.com is correct.
•Look for the page with your search engine.
•Refresh the page in a few minutes.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:55 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon_foonman View Post
Unions are a Communist plot to brainwash your children and turn them away from the Lord.
Um, no. Infiltrated, yes. Created by them, no. Besides, don't flatter yourself that companies are so holy and faith-loving. A ton of tech companies recently wrote a letter to Kansas (and I think Oklahoma too) throwing a fit about a bill that protected faith-based adoption agencies from the GayKK.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:38 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
This is why we need unions.
The issues with Amazon and Walmart are mainly that low skilled people with or without children, apply, get hired and THEN have children they really shouldn't be having. There'd be a lot less people getting SNAP if they would simply not have children.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:56 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Cops and firefighters are union members. They make more than engineers do (in CA).

Last edited by davidt1; 06-06-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 01:15 PM

213 posts, read 216,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
The issues with Amazon and Walmart are mainly that low skilled people with or without children, apply, get hired and THEN have children they really shouldn't be having. There'd be a lot less people getting SNAP if they would simply not have children.
Amazon and Walmart would have to pay higher wages if government did not give assistance to their employees.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:23 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabus View Post
Amazon and Walmart would have to pay higher wages if government did not give assistance to their employees.
There's a problem with that?

Old 06-06-2018, 02:00 PM

213 posts, read 216,549 times
Not a problem at all. But Walmart would be in trouble if there was no SNAP or EBT. They would lose a huge number of customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment