Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 09:00 AM

213 posts, read 216,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No one where I work is a member of the union. But theoretically we are covered by the union because the union negotiated an agreement with next higher level to cover all non management employees. What this has meant is our management no longer talks to us, but to the union. Who has zero members and zero representation where we work. Yet this union has offered us up sacrificial lambs to an experimental pay system. Doesn't effect any of the union members at other locations; just affects our location. For most of us our pay is behind where we would have been under the old pay system.

So what exactly has the union done for us?
I assume you live in a right to work state. I would suggest you join the union and get voting rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 09:52 AM

12,829 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabus View Post
I assume you live in a right to work state. I would suggest you join the union and get voting rights.
So I should pay the union money to stop them from screwing me over? What if that union doesn't represent my values? What if I want to join a different union that does?

Old 06-16-2018, 11:43 AM

213 posts, read 216,412 times
A union is a democracy. Union members can vote out the leadership, they can approve or disapprove any contract proposed by the union/management arbitration.

Since you are not a union member, you have no say, no vote and no reason to complain.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:44 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,784,673 times
Quote:
No one where I work is a member of the union. But theoretically we are covered by the union because the union negotiated an agreement with next higher level to cover all non management employees. What this has meant is our management no longer talks to us, but to the union. Who has zero members and zero representation where we work. Yet this union has offered us up sacrificial lambs to an experimental pay system. Doesn't effect any of the union members at other locations; just affects our location. For most of us our pay is behind where we would have been under the old pay system.

So what exactly has the union done for us?
Help me make sense of this.

If the union has no members who is management talking to?

What is the source of the union funding?

Is the structure that the union also covers other locations but no one at your place has chosen to join?

More details on how this is structured/history would be helpful.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:18 PM

12,829 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Help me make sense of this.

If the union has no members who is management talking to?

What is the source of the union funding?

Is the structure that the union also covers other locations but no one at your place has chosen to join?

More details on how this is structured/history would be helpful.
Pretty simple really. Big organization covering multiple locations in multiple states. The union organized at the main location and a couple of the other big locations. We're a relatively small and primarily all professional (~200) location. The union never came by to organize. They just organized at the primary locations and by default covered everyone. Heck we had people who didn't even know there was a union until they showed up to tell us about the wonderful new experimental pay system we had "volunteered" for. All negotiations take place at the headquarters. We're not included.

Certainly up to that point no one had chosen to join and I don't know if anyone has since. Very few would. Historically we've been a well run place full of professionals who worked well together and with management. So this whole new pay system and union deal came as quite a shock to most people. Essentially what the union did was offer us up as a sacrificial lamb to the experiment. If it works, then they'll negotiate it for the whole organization. If it fails, well no skin off their nose; we're expendable.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:27 AM

892 posts, read 1,498,731 times
Quote:
So I should pay the union money to stop them from screwing me over? What if that union doesn't represent my values? What if I want to join a different union that does?
And now you understand how the unions work - legalized extortion.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:05 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
And now you understand how the unions work - legalized extortion.
If a person doesn’t like the conditions of employment they’re free to quit. This is the apology reactionaries use to excuse management and the reasoning works as well for agreements between unions and management.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 06-18-2018 at 11:17 AM..

Old 06-18-2018, 02:18 PM

892 posts, read 1,498,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
If a person doesn’t like the conditions of employment they’re free to quit. This is the apology reactionaries use to excuse management and the reasoning works as well for agreements between unions and management.
Except in union heavy states, where joining a specific union is a condition of employment, such as when I worked for Ford in Michigan. You couldn't work at ANY of the auto plants without being a member of the UAW. You want to continue working in that particular industry, you're going to be strong armed into joining that union whether you want to or not.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:28 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Except in union heavy states, where joining a specific union is a condition of employment, such as when I worked for Ford in Michigan. You couldn't work at ANY of the auto plants without being a member of the UAW. You want to continue working in that particular industry, you're going to be strong armed into joining that union whether you want to or not.
What, you mean employers have the right to set conditions of employment except in union heavy states? You would constrain management’s right to make contracts and set conditions of employment? That’s inconsistent with conservative and libertarian values.

Again, if you don’t like the conditions of employment take a hike. Nobody owes you a job.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,784,673 times
Quote:
Paying them money will get you a voice in what is going on. If you don't like what they are doing you get to vote them out. You can also run for office. It is unlikely there is another union you can join.

A union is what you, the employees, make of it.

Quote:
Pretty simple really. Big organization covering multiple locations in multiple states. The union organized at the main location and a couple of the other big locations. We're a relatively small and primarily all professional (~200) location. The union never came by to organize. They just organized at the primary locations and by default covered everyone. Heck we had people who didn't even know there was a union until they showed up to tell us about the wonderful new experimental pay system we had "volunteered" for. All negotiations take place at the headquarters. We're not included.

Certainly up to that point no one had chosen to join and I don't know if anyone has since. Very few would. Historically we've been a well run place full of professionals who worked well together and with management. So this whole new pay system and union deal came as quite a shock to most people. Essentially what the union did was offer us up as a sacrificial lamb to the experiment. If it works, then they'll negotiate it for the whole organization. If it fails, well no skin off their nose; we're expendable.
Thanks for the clarification.

You should be included in the negotiations or at the very least be allowed to attend the meetings although it may not be convenient. Unless by not included you mean no one represents your specific office. If that is the case then you need to get involved.

Was there a vote to bring in the union? Something is off here with all the surprises. I would think they would be lobbying for folks to join. Maybe someone with union organizing experience can chime in here.

Nothing galvanizes employees into an angry mob faster than paycheck issues. I can sort of see why your office was selected-you have no one representing you. I would be frustrated too.

You can also decertify a union but it won't happen by magic. It took effort to create the union and it will take effort to remove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment