Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 09:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
In other words, for all the hyperventilating about the STEM worker shortage, the job seekers (not employers) are the ones who have to hustle.
What? Are you an adult? A mature adult knows that EVERYONE has to hustle in ALL areas of life to be successful. This has nothing to do with employee vs employer.

I'm still trying to figure out why Americans resent having high paying STEM jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:46 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Meaning which one can you specialize in and hope to get a job with the highest income?
It depends on a lot of factors--location, aptitude, interests, connections, luck.

I see lots of traditional tech jobs that call for an MSEE or MSCS. Typically, larger companies, doing computational software, circuit design, firmware, etc.

Newer types of companies e.g. venture funded startups like really smart people who are very self-motivated and have created interesting websites and apps. Degrees are less important. Though, a STEM PhD is always an asset.

Math is always a good choice. Take several math courses--calc, linear algebra, discreet math, probability. Take all the basic comp sci: algorithms and data structures, databases, AI and machine learning, OO, cryptography, and be fluent in Java, Javascript, plus a few tools like Node, Go, Rust, React, C#, SQL.

I guess that's basically a math and computer science major. That, combined with a few hobby projects as mentioned above, should help springboard you into a six figure career.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2018, 10:13 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk.../#655631432575

Lots of info found easily online

Old 05-30-2018, 10:22 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What? Are you an adult? A mature adult knows that EVERYONE has to hustle in ALL areas of life to be successful. This has nothing to do with employee vs employer.

I'm still trying to figure out why Americans resent having high paying STEM jobs.
Have you taken a course in freshman-level economics? A glutted market means lower prices--or in this case, wages.

If you're really trying to figure out why Americans--or anyone else--resents having high-paying STEM jobs, maybe you need to look for some evidence to disconfirm your hypothesis--you know, like scientists do.

ETA: You've commented on people being dissatisfied with STEM careers before. It obviously annoys you for some reason.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:22 PM

276 posts, read 430,898 times
You can use a STEM degree from a good school anywhere as the purpose of STEM is to teach problem solving skills. I went to a top engineering school (#1 in my field) and most of my class did not go into engineering, not because of a lack of jobs, rather they were pursued by many companies and had tons of options. And I disagree that a STEM PhD is always valuable. There IS a glut of PhDs as universities keep cranking them out, hiring in academia is awful, and everyone with a STEM PhD seems to want to go into "industry". As a result way too many PhDs and after all that education, you don't want to take an entry level job and the research jobs that are available are few.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Have you taken a course in freshman-level economics? A glutted market means lower prices--or in this case, wages.

If you're really trying to figure out why Americans--or anyone else--resents having high-paying STEM jobs, maybe you need to look for some evidence to disconfirm your hypothesis--you know, like scientists do.

ETA: You've commented on people being dissatisfied with STEM careers before. It obviously annoys you for some reason.
I work in STEM. I'm not annoyed at all. I just find it odd when people tell others to avoid an entire field using anecdotal evidence. Technology is ever expanding. The OP is one person. Surely there will be at least one job available for the OP.

Technology isn't going to disappear. If Americans avoid the industry, we can't get mad when other people step in.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:38 AM

4,968 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
I work in STEM. I'm not annoyed at all. I just find it odd when people tell others to avoid an entire field using anecdotal evidence. Technology is ever expanding. The OP is one person. Surely there will be at least one job available for the OP.

Technology isn't going to disappear. If Americans avoid the industry, we can't get mad when other people step in.
But that is the problem. Americans aren't avoiding STEM. There is just an oversupply of American STEM graduates. That's right, technology isn't going to disappear. But the oversupply means lower wages and lower opportunities for STEM graduates.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:44 AM

4,968 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:

Bobsell in this thread is not using anecdotal evidence to prove that people should avoid STEM if they want a stable career and a good paying job. Sheerbliss is also not using anecdotal evidence.

Last edited by BusinessManIT; 05-31-2018 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: Adding

Old 05-31-2018, 05:52 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:

Fast food* is ever expanding and isn't going to disappear, and there will surely be one job available later. But that doesn't make flipping burgers a good career choice. Read Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell to understand basic supply and demand.

When enough anecdotes pile up, it's wise to pay attention. I'm aware of anecdotal evidence, along with different kinds of studies--and survivorship bias and correlation v. causation (not things I learned in engineering school, BTW). Survivorship bias and correlation errors never seem to make it into "what careers pay best" discussions.

*Unlike fast food, many areas in technology are politely called "cyclical," meaning employees are laid off wholesale from time to time. Anyone in STEM surely knows colleagues who've been through this.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 05-31-2018 at 06:16 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 06:36 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
Quote:
In other words, for all the hyperventilating about the STEM worker shortage, the job seekers (not employers) are the ones who have to hustle.
Hell yea. Am I the only engineer in the US that still gets 4 requests per week to interview for jobs? 7 years ago, I put my name into 6 online services, found a job at age 60, worked till retirement, and I am still getting calls for interviews. I was never unemployed for more than 6 months in the last 40 years, although I did have to move to five different states to get jobs, and many times took less than my asking salary to land the employment. STEM is great for people that are not afraid of work and hustle. Apparently, that includes a lot of posters here.

Wow, I must be very special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment