Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 10:43 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Not laughing at your bad luck but I got turned down in about 30 minutes today after "flunking" a personality test. The Big Five test. Scored off the scale on openness and not quite high enough on conscientiousness for them.
If an employer tried to give me a "personality test", that would fail one of my tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 11:16 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
What huge sea of applicants? Unemployment's the lowest it's been in nearly 20 years.
Unemployment figures don't count people who gave up on their work search or people who work jobs they are over qualified for. I don't recall how it categorizes people working PT who want to work FT.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:22 AM

21,021 posts, read 27,245,104 times
The fastest rejection I had was five minutes into an interview at a Sears Auto Center. The manager thought speaking Spanish was more important than servicing automobiles. The Sears Auto Center location is closing in July.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:27 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoodoo View Post
About 2 hrs from submitting application/resume to rejection. A new record! Lol!

I hate that I have look for another job as this current company will not be sustainable as-is much longer. After being laid off a few years ago, I hoping to land another job where it would be for the duration of my time left in the workforce. **sigh**. But not meant to be I guess........

Sent the resume/application electronically at approx 7pm, got a “thank you, we are reviewing...” email shortly after and then..... bam! Just got the rejection. Just about a 2 hour process, after-working hrs too. Having flashbacks of how I dread this process and what a joke these applications are. Took almost as long to fill out all that crap as it did to “review and reject me”. Ugh!

Just venting
Toys R Us rejected my application 15 years ago.

That 400 question psychological assessment should have tipped me off.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:11 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Unemployment figures don't count people who gave up on their work search or people who work jobs they are over qualified for. I don't recall how it categorizes people working PT who want to work FT.
There is a decline in the labor force participation rate in recent years, however that's due to the demographics of boomers retiring, not due to people giving up finding jobs.

If someone needs money to survive, they aren't going to simply stop looking for work. We're in an employee's market today. We have a better economy than we've had in decades.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:37 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Applied for a certified TA position at a charter school.

Got rejected in 45 minutes. 😂

Old 06-02-2018, 12:52 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
I flunked the tests I was given when I applied at Petsmart and Petco to be a dog trainer. On the other hand, I also had experience training dogs and that job was no experience needed. I'm beginning to think that the more experience you have in your field, the less any company wants to hire you. Maybe they don't want to pay over minimum wage or maybe they're scared you'll do things the way they should be done.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:32 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The fastest rejection I had was five minutes into an interview at a Sears Auto Center. The manager thought speaking Spanish was more important than servicing automobiles. The Sears Auto Center location is closing in July.
If you were applying for the job in Los Angeles area as an example, of course they were hiring people that could speak both English and Spanish. They were hiring Spanish Speakers, because people of Hispanic background are the biggest sector of the population, and white other than Hispanic are a minority race (less than the predominate one). They need people when working with the public, to be able to communicate with the public in both English and Spanish. Remember Spanish Speakers are the predominate race in the State of California. Many other cities in the U.S. have such a heavy Hispanic population that a business will demand all public contract employees, will be duel language speakers to be able to handle their customers. Other parts of the country, may require other languages be spoken in addition to English to be hired in public contact positions.

Over 21% of all residents of the United States, speak other than English in their home. And a lot of them do not speak and understand English very well.

Just because we all live in the United States, does not mean you only need to speak English to be able to communicate with the public.

I was working in the late 1950s, the best medium priced furniture stores in the nation in the heart of the Silicon Valley as it is known today. None of the 7 salespeople, earned less than $125,000 per year in today's dollars.

To be able to communicate with our customers, 2 of them spoke English, Italian and Spanish fluently, and the customers that really did not speak or understand English well but were of Italian or Spanish descent and spoke those languages, were turned over to these two men. One of them was also fluent in sign language used by the deaf, and we would turn those customers over to him. Even clear back then, some employees really needed to speak Spanish to handle the customers.

55 million Americans speak languages other than English at home. - Progressive Economy

Old 06-02-2018, 02:37 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
In many cases the problem is that for what they are paying they can't find people who can pass a drug test.
I'm starting to think this hype about too many people "not being able to pass a drug test" is a farce invented by the political and business elite. If that were REALLY true, we'd have a far worse opioid epidemic than we have and we'd have huge drug problems across the country, not just in specific depressed areas.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Over 21% of all residents of the United States, speak other than English in their home. And a lot of them do not speak and understand English very well.

Just because we all live in the United States, does not mean you only need to speak English to be able to communicate with the public.
When I was with Fender Amps I was working with people who were 5 years in this country and couldn't even say "Help me" in english. I cannot imagine how they'd ask for help when needing medical assistance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment