Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:09 AM

765 posts, read 473,811 times

Advertisements

EMM, thank you for such a kind, generous and supportive reply.

and OP, there are many organizations now through out this country who will work with people who have been in prison and have to live with that stigma.... It is so sad our society can't cease the constant judgement.... your record since your conviction speaks more clearly to me than whatever mistake you made in your youth..

Emm posted the help for felons website, but they operate not just in Arizona, just incase you currently don't actually live in AZ.

The state of Louisiana has a program for re-education for past offenders..... many states do..... you might not want to go back into your parole office, but times have changed and there are many states who just don't slap an ankle bracelet on people for deterrence and control, most everyone is much more enlightened now and know compassion and understanding goes much farther in the criminal justice system..... go back and find out what new programs might be available to you.... the very system that convicted you now might be the same system that can offer you hope, an education and a brighter future!!!!!

Would you consider moving???? You are right next door to CA..... they have a wonderful organization called ARC, you would be a wonderful candidate for a job as a counsellor with them!!!!! That organization has a "ride home program" and have employment opportunities for ex offender like you to become a kinda "big brother" to an inmate who is being released. You will have a career working with people every day who are just like you and need the support and guidance to make the transition back into society...... just the picture on their website page should give you a real boost of confidence, and joy about where your life can go : Anti-Recidivism Coalition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 06:14 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think it may depend on the nature of the work and the nature of the offense.

Don't try to get a new identity. If you are found out (which is likely) it will only make your problems worse.

Best of luck to you!
There are other reasons not to try to get a new identity as well. Your existing Social Security record will disappear, leaving you no retirement funds that you paid into with your hard-earned labor. It is amazing how much these funds count when they come into play in your later years...

As above, Best of Luck!!

Old 06-01-2018, 06:52 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I did a google search using "second chance for felons" there are many links, some state specific. Many state job service offices have programs for hard to place folks, like yourself.

Search "Second Chance for Felons"

Also.....Go talk to your nearest state job service office and find out what resources are available for yourself as a hard to place individual....felon.

Also, check DOL https://www.dol.gov/
Department of Labor website for your state for apprentice programs, and reentry programs for felons. I did this years ago....and had to search for programs....and actually found a reentry program by simply calling several agencies at my state level, I finally got a hold of the director of our state second chance program. So, don't give up.....not every agency has all the information.....but someone will eventually. Ask about second chance programs for felons.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:42 AM

17,201 posts, read 15,390,629 times
A lot of times it really depends on the company itself.
I work for a small(ish) engineering firm. No thorough background checks were made.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:43 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post

there are many organizations now through out this country who will work with people who have been in prison ..... make the transition back into society.
We don't know if the OP was in prison. A lot of felons never go to prison and instead pay fines and/or get probation. Although such programs likely service those that didn't go to prison either.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:52 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
I have carried the burden of being a convicted felon since I was 15 years old. I have done a good job of finding work no matter where I have lived and been able to support myself.

However, I’m getting to the age where I don’t want to keep looking for jobs to stay away from being homeless. I would like to move into an actual career. I am concerned it many of the trade school options because it may be difficult if not impossible to find work in those fields.

Just wondering if any other convicted felons have had success in a particular field that could net them over $60,000 a year if not more. I have to take care of my family.

You all know how kids try to get fake IDs so they can buy cigarettes and beer? I really wish I could get a fake identity so that I could get a better job. Is there a way that I can get a better career without having to do that?
I’m not certain, but I am pretty sure that that would probably land me with another felony so it’s not the best course of action
Have you looked into jobs with the state? I think here in California there are policies in place to help convicted felons secure state jobs if they choose that path. Maybe most states have similar policies. In any case you can easily look up for yourself (if you haven't already) exactly what's what re applying for state jobs if a person's record shows a felony conviction. What I'm pretty sure of is that governments have just about every kind of job known to humankind, usually with benefits, and if you do get a govt job you can stay for many years as long as you continue to meet the standards.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:58 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Check into whether your felony can be expunged. This is a legal process where it is removed from your record. Some states post their rules online on qualifications for expungement. Seriously, look into this asap.
Although it would be harder to obtain, you can also check into getting a "pardon." To my knowledge every state offers pardons, but not necessarily expungement (of criminal convictions.)

Pardon's are probably more likely to happen when a Governor is leaving office, since there's less chance they will be called out for it.

Some states have an office of pardons. here is an example

Connecticut Board of Pardons and Paroles

Old 06-01-2018, 11:26 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Start your own company. A moving company is a good idea - people are always looking for movers, and the big companies are very very expensive. You can hire young people to do the lifting, and you drive the truck.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:32 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Some states also prohibit professional credentials for felons. So, make sure to investigate that. If you need a license to be a plumber in your state.. See if a felony disqualifies you from getting that license.

My advice.. 100 people can say no. You only need 1 to say yes.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:02 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
If you share what the felony was for perhaps the posters here can be of more help. Not all felony convictions are equal

Besides that, as already mentioned, you'll need to go into something that requires manual labor. Perhaps a day laborer when you're in between jobs. Maybe look into the agricultural field as well.

My advice, if illegal immigrant with no paperwork can find jobs, you can too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment