Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 06:24 PM

12 posts, read 6,796 times

Advertisements

I've had the bad end of this Great Jobs DEPRESSION. Funny, when I was working out on Lake Shore Drive back in 2004 I had a premonition that God 'blessed' me with SSDI to survive the upcoming Great Jobs Depression. Secretly, I think we are all being brainwashed that the economy is great... With the Retail Apocalypse I think hardly anyone has disposable income to fund a good consumer economy.

Anyway, since it's so hard for me to find a job, I self employ myself writing books, trying to make money making websites, and trying to make video games. At this point in time this just gives me "something to do..." Because I haven't made any money yet [didn't get anything published yet].

But how about you? Are you long term unemployed or so? Did you venture to self employ yourself? What did you do?

Old 05-31-2018, 06:54 PM

262 posts, read 202,352 times
The only time I’ve ever truly employed myself was when I cut grass as a teenager. I swear it feels like I made more money back then. Usually around 300 or $400 a week cash because I was hustling my butt off. Now I don’t think I get that much money after taxes and everything else definitely not if you consider actually have to pay bills now.

My dad taught me an important lesson when I was cutting grass as a teenager, I was using his lawnmower, and he told me that it would be a fee every week of $20 to use it. I was fine doing that, it was my own fault, because I had bragged about how much money I was making. My dad taught me, that you never do that.

A couple of weeks later I decided to go out and buy my own lawnmower, and I thought I had bypassed his weekly usage fee, and landed myself instead, a weekly storage fee. He didn’t hold onto that one for very long, but he proved a point again, because I have bragged about how I had bypassed his usage fee.

I’ve told the story to a few friends over the years, and most say my dad was a jerk for doing it. Personally, I thought it taught me quite a few valuable lessons about life, even if I did not understand them at the time.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:14 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Self-employment? As what?

Consulting/contract jobs/gigs? Same problem as employment but worse. Nobody hires consultants without experience. And the consulting gigs are temporary dead end jobs.

Everything that involves self-employment is trying to convince someone else to hand over money to you. Sales is the #1 skill one must have to be self-employed.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The opposite for me. I had a business for 16 years but in the recession many of my customers
were commercial real estate, developers, and parking management companies. They either went under or just stopped spending, so I had to find a job, and did so in 2009. Two promotions later and I’m doing better than ever, and only working 40 hours, with steady pay and paid benefits. Being self employed can be rewarding but requires a huge time commitment, long hours, and the worries come home with you.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
In 2009 I walked away from being employed for 30+ years, and am now owner of my own company. If my screen name doesn't make it obvious, I am a CPA (Certified Public Accountant for those who don't know). I will never work for anyone again.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:57 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE8369 View Post
I've had the bad end of this Great Jobs DEPRESSION. Funny, when I was working out on Lake Shore Drive back in 2004 I had a premonition that God 'blessed' me with SSDI to survive the upcoming Great Jobs Depression. Secretly, I think we are all being brainwashed that the economy is great... With the Retail Apocalypse I think hardly anyone has disposable income to fund a good consumer economy.

Anyway, since it's so hard for me to find a job, I self employ myself writing books, trying to make money making websites, and trying to make video games. At this point in time this just gives me "something to do..." Because I haven't made any money yet [didn't get anything published yet].

But how about you? Are you long term unemployed or so? Did you venture to self employ yourself? What did you do?
If you expect to make money as a writer, you might do well to find yourself a good editor. I am available, but I am not cheap.

I haven't made any money yet, either. Self employing oneself is a risky business.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:20 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE8369 View Post

Frankly I find your posting rather silly at the same time claiming you are "Writing books" and making websites" but YOU HAVEN'T MADE A DIME from doing that. That's not self employment, it's a "Hobby"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment