Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 05:37 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Which subject do you wish to discuss, OP? Business or Ethics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 05:53 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Yep. People can and do get fired for posting things on social media that they shouldn’t. My personal favorite was at a previous job where someone posted a”beach day on my work from home day” selfie. Complete with a beer and toes in the sand. We live two hours from the beach...and aren’t allowed to drink on the job. She wasn’t the brightest...
Have any screenshots of that?

Old 06-02-2018, 10:12 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Sure. The ones at the top don't have to follow it though. For whatever reason, they get to play by a completely different set of rules

It's just legal CYA 99% of the time.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:38 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I imagine my industry employers figured we were smart enough to not have to endure days of going over things like "Don't take bribes".
It's not a matter of being smart enough. It's a matter of your legal department being able to say "We are blameless, North Beach Person took this class on this date, and it specifically outlined our 'Bribes are very bad, mmkay?' policy."

Old 06-05-2018, 02:53 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
I didn't know having integrity, and doing right by the employees, customers, vendors and communities I operate in required some sort of ethical code of conduct agreement?

Now, be honest, for those of you that do have it and believe in it, how many times have you looked at it since you signed it? And, I don't mean when the disciplinary/legal action necessitates referring to it.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:25 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I have always had them, and because of who I work for now we have to do that stuff annually lol

Old 06-05-2018, 03:56 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
I didn't know having integrity, and doing right by the employees, customers, vendors and communities I operate in required some sort of ethical code of conduct agreement?
It doesn't. It's pure CYA on part of the employers.

Quote:
Now, be honest, for those of you that do have it and believe in it, how many times have you looked at it since you signed it? And, I don't mean when the disciplinary/legal action necessitates referring to it.
Oh, we get annual "online classes" followed by a multiple-choice "test" that a moderately intelligent 5-year-old could pass. Another window-dressing exercise in corporate America.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:17 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
It is more than CYA for the company. The idea is to make sure everyone has been exposed to the companies MINIMUM standards and that they know who to contact if they have any questions. I have used my annual 'ethics/code of conduct' training to question tasks I was ordered to do. In one case the person immediately backed down and 'clarified his request'. In another case She insisted we do it her way but when corporate came down with customer (gov't) auditors I could show a complete email chain that kept me from being dragged into a Federal investigation. So they serve a purpose if you take them seriously.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:44 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So with all the boohaha over Rosanne and her subsequent firing (I won't go into that here, there is a lively debate on the tv forum)

I was interested in finding out do folks have any type of "ethics" or "conduct" policy on their jobs?

I work for a fortune 100 chemical company in Delaware, every January we have to sign a code of conduct form and annually we have training.
New hires can and do have their facebook pages checked and employee who post crazy stuff have been disciplined.

What's the new norm?
People are fired for off duty stunts all the time. From social media, attening rallies or being arrested. All of which are done on personal time. However we live in an age where folks whip out their iPhones, record video, or take screenshots of something sensitive in the hopes of going viral over Twitter. Right now we live in an age of culture war zpublic shaming, outrage culture, and mob justice. All of which is designed to destroy the the sexist or racist, destroy the landlord of the sexist or racist, or destroy the employer where the racist or sexist is employed. Now when that is all done. No one wants to be in a binding relationship with the sexist or racist and grounds for termination or eviction. Some business like small business to a certain degree do not have such hr policy to fire someone over off duty misconduct. It would be wise for a small company to have a policy in place where we hold the right to fire you for social media. This goes for any side. Vs using at will terms and than being sued for wrongful termination. At my new job I had to agree with such. In this new America we live in. Don't day anything bigoted or sexist.

With Rosanne for example. She got toasted for what she said. Do we terminate people for saying something in the past like joy Reid? Such policies need to be I'm placed now a days vs firing someone at will for social media or being arrested or going to a protest on free time.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 AM

188 posts, read 202,963 times
My last two jobs had ethics, conduct, confidentiality and social media polices. Had to read them as a new hire and then reread them once a year (and provide an electronic signature to confirm you'd read it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment