Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 04:47 PM

469 posts, read 637,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeReds22 View Post
Fortune 500 corporate job situation. I am an experienced professional who had to move to a different city for family reasons and leave behind a great company (company A) with excellent culture and very respectful work environment. One of those companies where you are surrounded by individuals with great character and integrity, where my supervisor was a real mentor motivating me and not afraid to elevate me in front of the executives and where cut throat competition didn't appear to exist. My supervisor was approx. 15 years older than me.

I was recruited by a headhunter to a larger company (think 10 times the size) for very similar role (on paper) in the new city, with slightly better compensation. At first, everything seemed fine but the hiring manager (X) left few months after my hiring (pretty much seemed to be pushed out by his direct competitor (Y) in the group who was battling for the same promotion to report directly to the executives).

I was assigned a new inexperienced supervisor (Z) from another group. He was my junior in every aspect (education, titles, direct experience, age, international experience) but with longer tenure in the company and great relationship with his new boss (Y, about my same age) who was obviously the decision maker for the promotion.

I became immediately the subject of the most passive-aggressive forms of workplace bullying, purposely withholding of information, micromanaging, lack of respect and removal of core assignments by supervisor Z.

When I explained the situation to his boss (Y), trying to find a constructive way to find a way to work with them, things deteriorated for the worse. I became the target of ostracism and removal of all assignments despite my constructive attempts to work with them. I would go to work and have nothing to do for months, and any proactive idea would be simply ignored.

My supervisor and his boss conducted a real mobbing campaign toward me which lead to my eventual separation from the company. When I was laid off, I was offered upfront 2 additional months of severance compared to what was due (1 month) which I found suspicious (HR said that it was the boss Y that asked for it as a favor to me).

However, I wasted a year of my professional career and surely I have to recover from the abusive treatment that I received for months. Ostracism is worse than old plain insults, since you are not even acknowledged. I now have to explain to perspective employers why I left the job within less than a year. Any suggestions here?

I documented many incidents of the passive/subtle abuse I received including emails/recordings and turned them to HR before leaving the company along with a detailed report but days have gone by and nothing has happened. They simply want me to sign the release of claims in exchange for the severance package as they stand with the perpetrators (intellectual prostitution I call it).

One of the recordings happens to be of a conversation where in the open office boss Y bad mouths (a habit) some other company stakeholder (but I didn't hear the first part to know who specifically) for taking a month vacation in the summer with his family and since that stakeholder is European making typical stereotyping remarks about Europeans taking longer vacations than Americans (as having less work ethic, etc). Now, given I am European too, and I was the only European in the group, would this provide a potential legal claim for discrimination based on national origin?

Should I just drop it and move on with my life given they gave me 2 extra months of severance or a legal claim could award me much more than that?

Drop it and move on with your career. Just state in interviews that you were laid off. They wouldn't ask you to elaborate but if they do just say that you were laid off due corporate restructure of your department. Period. Then move to the next question.

It was not a waste a year. Since this type of work environment is very common these days, you sharpened you skill set on how to operate in this environment. Yes it was/is extremely painful but feel the pain and let it go. Re-strategize your approach in this environment and get back in the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 04:53 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,188 times
Quote:
That’s exactly how the two tyrants presented the case to HR. There was not enough work for me. HR was very careful in suggestin it wasn’t due to performance since they had no proves but I know the two tyrants only intent was to make me feel useless and uncapable to do the job and quit on my own.
Marie, you didn't mention anything about denial of work as part of a greater constructive termination. What is your read on that?

Old 06-02-2018, 05:07 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,707 times
Ostracism. Mobbing. Tyrants.

Were you a drama major, or just an extra on a new Martin Scorsese flick?

Old 06-02-2018, 05:36 PM

47 posts, read 20,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post

Thanks. Very helpful.

Educate yourself https://www.theguardian.com/money/us...research-shows

Old 06-02-2018, 05:42 PM

Nike very recently was in the news and removed big shots

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ke-good-bosses

Old 06-02-2018, 05:57 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Being European isn't a protected class... what discrimination would you sue against?

European isn't recognized as a race for racial discrimination
it is in Nevada..... National Origin

Old 06-02-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Very helpful.

Educate yourself https://www.theguardian.com/money/us...research-shows

Probably is a workplace bully him/herself.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:24 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,395,814 times
Quote:
Should I just drop it and move on with my life given they gave me 2 extra months of severance ...?
Yes. You should have updated your resume when they withdrew your assignments. A judge might ask why, especially if discrimination was involved, they didn't simply let you go at that point since they didn't have any work for you.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Yes. You should have updated your resume when they withdrew your assignments. A judge might ask why, especially if discrimination was involved, they didn't simply let you go at that point since they didn't have any work for you.

The reason they didn't let him go when they withdrew his assignments is because they were hoping he would get frustrated and quit on his own. If they got him to quit, they would not have to give severance or unemployment benefits.

Last edited by 3littlebirdies; 06-02-2018 at 06:41 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I’ll tell you why. They were hoping I would resign on my own or react in a way that I would get fired for just cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment