Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 12:25 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,435,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeReds22 View Post
Correct. I don’t need to be buddy with people at work and I wasn’t either in company A. But I expect to be respected in a work place. Shouldn’t be too difficult to understand what respect is and respect does not equal being friend with superiors or coworkers. Respect me as professional and as human being first and foremost. Shunning, ostracism, etc is a HUGE lack of respect. Much more than plain old insults.

Plus, once you get into "I don't like you" territory, one must wonder if the underlying reason for the "dislike" is actually discriminatory. "Can this person do the job?" is the first question an employer should ask if they're pondering termination. Evaluating fitness on any other criterion, especially a highly subjective one, can create a situation nobody wants to be in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 12:33 PM

47 posts, read 20,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Plus, once you get into "I don't like you" territory, one must wonder if the underlying reason for the "dislike" is actually discriminatory. "Can this person do the job?" is the first question an employer should ask if they're pondering termination. Evaluating fitness on any other criterion, especially a highly subjective one, can create a situation nobody wants to be in.
Well there is no doubt I could do the job. It was the same exact role I was doing at company A for years and arguably reporting to people with much more experience and higher caliber CVs. My most recent bosses at company A had an MBA from elite schools, think top 5 programs in all rankings. My most recent supervisor at company B instead not only was quite a bit younger than me but also had less direct experience than me and didn’t even have an MBA or similar degree. However he waited the first assignment to tell me that I was incompetent. A typical case of jealousy, maybe not of discrimination, although while my bosses at company A were well travelled and with plenty international experience, my supervisor at company B never even spent any time abroad.

The real reason for my treatment is cut throat competition. At company A my bosses weren’t threatened by my presence since they were much more experienced than me and actually were mentors to me. At company B instead I was in the same age/experience level of both my supervisor and his manager (head of the group).

I also really realize for most people maturity does come with age. I no longer believe in fast career tracks as you see in some companies. Being good at excel and powerpoint is not the same as being good at managing people or especially mentoring them.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:41 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,435,183 times
There are better things in your future, OP. People who behave the way you explained know they have very limited options career-wise, so they take what little "power" they have and try to destroy those who can achieve more. It's also likely they didn't earn their position through merit, which makes your accomplishments shine brighter. Take it as a compliment.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
There are better things in your future, OP. People who behave the way you explained know they have very limited options career-wise, so they take what little "power" they have and try to destroy those who can achieve more. It's also likely they didn't earn their position through merit, which makes your accomplishments shine brighter. Take it as a compliment.
Thank you for your words

Old 06-03-2018, 12:53 PM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,657,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
But I agree that in an industry where people don't often change jobs, a record of frequent job-hopping can hurt your chances at a new job.
It is also level-dependent. Even when short-term projects are the norm, management isn't supposed to bounce around.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,689,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeReds22 View Post
That’s exactly how the two tyrants presented the case to HR. There was not enough work for me. HR was very careful in suggestin it wasn’t due to performance since they had no proves but I know the two tyrants only intent was to make me feel useless and uncapable to do the job and quit on my own.
It is common when there is less work than the present crew can handle, that someone gets laid off. This is allowed by laws everywhere. And managers are the ones that decide if there is someone that can be let go to reduce staff in such situations.

There is no law, about having to keep employees if there is less work than it would be sufficient for the full crew. This is just common business practice.

You are looking for anything that would allow you to sue them and make some money from it. But if they did away with your job saying your are surplus and are no longer needed that is what anyone investigating will be told and records will show they are right, unless they immediately replace you with another worker.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:19 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,267,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
yes it is, are you saying only black people can sue for discrimination ?:
https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/race_color.cfm
It sure helps.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:20 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,529,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
It is likely that recording conversations in the workplace is against company policy and that having done so is grounds for termination.
+1;
2 party state ?

Old 06-03-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
+1;
2 party state ?
It’s not

Old 06-03-2018, 07:59 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,654,105 times
If you are anything at work like you are on this message board no wonder they let you go. Everyone is telling you that you’re reaching, no proof and you won’t listen. Is everyone wrong but you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment