Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:51 PM

730 posts, read 2,248,622 times

Advertisements

I am misrable in my current position but don't really want to leave the VA as a whole as they provide great benefits. I am not eligible for transfer until my 1 year mark, and then its a matter of something coming open. Besides I have always stayed at my jobs at least a year to give it a chance and it looks a little more acceptable on a resume.I am trying to stay committed to my orgional decision BUT I am telling you I dread work everyday-Its an 8 hour root canal. I am starting to want to give up and seek someting else-but feel this may be a mistake in a recession.

I am thankful to have a job and all but don't want to do something I hate-it just bogs down other parts of life. I would even take a pay cut to get out of this department. It was major mistake to leave my old job-but they droped health insurance.

Advice?? Have any of you ever felt this way? and what have you done?

Last edited by NOEM1226; 03-28-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 03:39 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,700,304 times
yes and it is a horrible feeling. I know how you feel. I would start asking my friends if anyone is hiring. If not, just grin & bear it. I did a lot of that, grin, and did not say a word because it would not be nice. It's like holding your breath all day but at least it looks like you can get on here during the day. Don't hang around w/the people that annoy you or are making it harder; take your lunches if you have to; start saving some money in case it gets intolerable.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:52 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,026,775 times
This can be rough. I know most people, if they are honest, dislike their jobs or some aspects of it.

Part of you wants to say "life is too short to be miserable.' The other half says, "suck it up."

I suggest you try to do some volunteering. Or get a new hobby. Anything that takes the focus off those 8 hours you are unhappy. And you will never know, maybe a new job can open up. Good luck. Most of us have had a job we hated.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 AM

270 posts, read 624,328 times
Default Job

Hang in there, it's tough everywhere. I read a thread one, where it was stated if work was fun we would do it for free, that' why they have to pay to work. Try to look at the positive side of things and think if you had no job, then you wouldnt have any benefits. Also you are helping a lot of veterans by working at the VA and I am sure that they appreciate you. I am retired military and I say THANK YOU. Things could be worse, look at Reverse Discrimination on this website. Hang in there.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
Hang in there, it's tough everywhere. I read a thread one, where it was stated if work was fun we would do it for free, that' why they have to pay to work. Try to look at the positive side of things and think if you had no job, then you wouldnt have any benefits. Also you are helping a lot of veterans by working at the VA and I am sure that they appreciate you. I am retired military and I say THANK YOU. Things could be worse, look at Reverse Discrimination on this website. Hang in there.
You are so very welcome. I do enjoy the veterans. I am still hanging in there and hopefully will be moved to a department that fits me better.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,120 times
I completely understand. I work for a government agency as well (hmm, is there a theme here?), and while the actual work I do is okay, the remainder of the job is horrible- the people, the management, etc. I hate being here, but I stay because:

A. I make a good salary I'm unlikely to make anywhere else.
B. Good benefits.
C. A little more job security than in some private companies.

My husband I and I hoping to get to the point that I don't have to stay here forever, but until then, I suck it up.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM

555 posts, read 2,207,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
I am misrable in my current position but don't really want to leave the VA as a whole as they provide great benefits. I am not eligible for transfer until my 1 year mark, and then its a matter of something coming open. Besides I have always stayed at my jobs at least a year to give it a chance and it looks a little more acceptable on a resume.I am trying to stay committed to my orgional decision BUT I am telling you I dread work everyday-Its an 8 hour root canal. I am starting to want to give up and seek someting else-but feel this may be a mistake in a recession.

I am thankful to have a job and all but don't want to do something I hate-it just bogs down other parts of life. I would even take a pay cut to get out of this department. It was major mistake to leave my old job-but they droped health insurance.

Advice?? Have any of you ever felt this way? and what have you done?
I was in a similiar position with a gvenment job that I endured for 6 years hating every minute. The advantages were the benefits and the generous family leave policy that I so needed as a parent of a young child as well as reasonable health insurance. By staying the course, a better position became available in time and I was able to tranfer to a better department. As a result of my tenacity, I have accrued a pension and leave time, something the private sector does not always provide. During the 6 long years when I hated my position, I focused on new hobbies to keep from being too discouraged. I have no regrets now. If there is potential for lateral transfers between departments and you really need the benefits, try sticking it out. Sometimes I think the happy gurus that write all the feel good stuff don't know how to stick out a tough situation. My experience has made me appreciate the ups and downs of work.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 PM

303 posts, read 1,382,109 times
I have been in the same situation for 8 months. I was laid off from my previous job that I was at for 5 years when the company sold. This job was very similar in the work, but the work enviroment was/is miserable. I told myself I would stick it out for a few more months when I was going on vacation and would give notice after that. I gave my notice last week. I gave my notice last week. While some may not view it as a wise choice, I truly couldn't take anymore. I am currently looking. Just my little story...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 PM

395 posts, read 488,017 times
that's y it is called a j o b. just be glad u r employed. and do whateva u like on the side or as a hobby.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
that's y it is called a j o b. just be glad u r employed. and do whateva u like on the side or as a hobby.
I realize a job isn't all fun, but I tell you- I have actually enjoyed work until now! Not the work itself making me nuts, just the personnel and management. Way too many chiefs and not enough Indians type set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment