Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 02:14 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I have been at my current job for 9 months now. I like to stay at jobs long term and don't like to job hop. My previous employer closed his doors and that's when I changed jobs last.

I received a call 2 months back in regards to a resume I sent out when I was looking previously. They just called me yesterday and made me an offer. I would be working in insurance claims. The perks are I can work 100% remotely,which I love and also did previously. I don't need the healthcare as we have my DH's, but it would offer 401k,plus 2 weeks PTO and 7 sick days a year, plus paid holidays, none of which I have now. The drawbacks is that it would be full time 40hrs no flexibility and mandatory OT when needed. Also, no pay increase as it would be what I'm making now on an hourly basis.

I actually like my current job, but it's insurance sales so I'm always dealing with the public. I currently work about 25hrs a week, but would be full time in the fall. I have unlimited PTO, but it is not paid for. Same with holidays and sick time, if I don't work I don't get paid. I currently receive an hourly base (which is exactly what the other job offered) but I also receive a VERY small commission on sales. I have also received 2 bonuses this year for hitting a target for a sales contest. I also plan on renegotiating my pay and some PTO when I start working FT in the fall. THE DRAWBACKS ARE...... it's a very small family owned business. Everyone is family EXCEPT ME!! The boss is there maybe only 3 hours a week so that's great, besides that I'm working with his daughter which is still pretty nice and his niece, also nice. In the fall he is bringing on his son in-law as his daughter will not be working there any longer. The son in-law in completely new to the business and I will need to train him. Not sure how I will like that! I almost always work in the office, but it's only 15 minutes away.

I was leaning on taking the new job as it's hard to switch from sales to claims in insurance. It would be a great job to have and to some day advance my career. BUT.............I have recently became ill and have been seeing doctors at least 2 days a week! I really don't know at this point what will happen in the near future as I might need surgery, more tests, etc. My current boss is very supportive and understands if I need off to deal with this. The new employer probably won't be so understanding. Plus taking on a new job during my health crisis would also add to my current stress.

Any advice? Would you stay or leave?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 02:26 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I received a call 2 months back in regards to a resume I sent out when I was looking previously. They just called me yesterday and made me an offer. I would be working in insurance claims. The perks are I can work 100% remotely,which I love and also did previously.
Remotely means you're all over town driving places. This is not a work from home job.

Quote:
The drawbacks is that it would be full time 40hrs no flexibility and mandatory OT when needed.
And if you're on salary, you WILL see more OT than you'd like. So on a per hour basis, you're not getting a raise. This may not be worth it money-wise.

Quote:
I have unlimited PTO, but it is not paid for.
PTO means Paid Time Off. If you're not paid for time off, then you have ZERO PTO.

So you do not have "unlimited PTO"

Quote:
I was leaning on taking the new job as it's hard to switch from sales to claims in insurance. It would be a great job to have and to some day advance my career. BUT.............I have recently became ill and have been seeing doctors at least 2 days a week! I really don't know at this point what will happen in the near future as I might need surgery, more tests, etc. My current boss is very supportive and understands if I need off to deal with this. The new employer probably won't be so understanding. Plus taking on a new job during my health crisis would also add to my current stress.

Tell the new employer about your health condition. If they are cool with it, then maybe it is worth going for them. However, I have serious doubts about this.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Remotely means you're all over town driving places. This is not a work from home job.

And if you're on salary, you WILL see more OT than you'd like. So on a per hour basis, you're not getting a raise. This may not be worth it money-wise.

PTO means Paid Time Off. If you're not paid for time off, then you have ZERO PTO.

So you do not have "unlimited PTO"

Tell the new employer about your health condition. If they are cool with it, then maybe it is worth going for them. However, I have serious doubts about this.

Thanks for your reply bobsell. I've come across your posts a lot recently and I've noticed you like to correct people; however, I do thank you for your input.

Working remotely means....working from anywhere other than the actual employers office, i.e., work from home. At any rate, that's not my biggest dilemma as I only work 15 minutes away now and don't mind that. The original job posting stated it was a remote position and I have confirmed that this would in fact be a "work from home position" 100% of the time.

I WILL NOT be salary at either place, but hourly and "YES" I would probably make more where I am, but not a big difference.

So, I guess I should NOT have phrased PTO, but TIME OFF instead. Again, I have unlimited time off with no hassles from my employer, but it is not paid. That would not be the case with the new employer. It would be paid, BUT LIMITED.

I would also like to state that I sent out my resume 4 months ago. It took this employer two months to call me for the initial phone interview and another 2 months before they did a second interview and made me an offer. I felt that was strange.

I guess what I'm asking here........ if it was you, would you go for the new job as it is opening doors to a new type of career or stay where I am given the circumstances and the facts in general?

Old 06-03-2018, 02:55 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Tricky. If you really need to miss 40% of your time, is the small family owned business going to be ok with that?

I would probably stay in your current job while deal with your medical issues, but I have a low confidence that I am right in this decision.

As I see it, you want to stay with the job that gives you the most security until the medical issues are resolved. Once that are, you can start looking again. That might be challenging, but is better than being without a job because you don’t qualify for FMLA.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:18 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
You forgot to deal with the issue about your health. That makes a huge difference.

I'm doubting an employer will let someone take time off (PTO or not) for a new person, that's why you need to check with them first.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:04 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
If you’re just now moving into claims, you’re looking at 4-6 months of onboarding, Licensing and training - all of which is stressful as hell. If you fear this may aggravate your health condition, decline and tell them why, and to call you for the next open spot.

There will be a next open spot. Every company looks at those positions as an expense. Average claim loads today are triple per adjuster what they were 15 years ago.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
If you’re just now moving into claims, you’re looking at 4-6 months of onboarding, Licensing and training - all of which is stressful as hell. If you fear this may aggravate your health condition, decline and tell them why, and to call you for the next open spot.

There will be a next open spot. Every company looks at those positions as an expense. Average claim loads today are triple per adjuster what they were 15 years ago.
This would not be for an adjuster position, but to be the advocate between the adjuster and the insurance company; however, it could lead to an adjuster position in the future. I would have about 200 files at any given time. Training is about two months. I do agree that due to the circumstances I'm probably better off staying put for now and I thank you for your suggestion!

Old 06-03-2018, 04:22 PM

469 posts, read 637,149 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply bobsell. I've come across your posts a lot recently and I've noticed you like to correct people; however, I do thank you for your input.

Working remotely means....working from anywhere other than the actual employers office, i.e., work from home. At any rate, that's not my biggest dilemma as I only work 15 minutes away now and don't mind that. The original job posting stated it was a remote position and I have confirmed that this would in fact be a "work from home position" 100% of the time.

I WILL NOT be salary at either place, but hourly and "YES" I would probably make more where I am, but not a big difference.

So, I guess I should NOT have phrased PTO, but TIME OFF instead. Again, I have unlimited time off with no hassles from my employer, but it is not paid. That would not be the case with the new employer. It would be paid, BUT LIMITED.

I would also like to state that I sent out my resume 4 months ago. It took this employer two months to call me for the initial phone interview and another 2 months before they did a second interview and made me an offer. I felt that was strange.

I guess what I'm asking here........ if it was you, would you go for the new job as it is opening doors to a new type of career or stay where I am given the circumstances and the facts in general?

Makes me wonder if they hired someone for the role in between the 2 months since you sent your resume and that person was terminated then they gave you a phone interview - then hired another person who was terminated then called you back for interview and offer. Going on the logic, it would appear in the matter of 4 months 2 new hires were terminated.

Stay at you current job!!!

Old 06-03-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Makes me wonder if they hired someone for the role in between the 2 months since you sent your resume and that person was terminated then they gave you a phone interview - then hired another person who was terminated then called you back for interview and offer. Going on the logic, it would appear in the matter of 4 months 2 new hires were terminated.

Stay at you current job!!!

Funny you say that because I was looking at the company reviews on Glassdoor and it seems they like to lay off people a lot! My position currently is pretty secure. We have one other person that works from home that is full time and not a relative that will be leaving in the fall to pursue another her own business and if I left too they would be screwed!

Old 06-03-2018, 04:32 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:
Funny you say that because I was looking at the company reviews on Glassdoor and it seems they like to lay off people a lot! My position currently is pretty secure. We have one other person that works from home that is full time and not a relative that will be leaving in the fall to pursue another her own business and if I left too they would be screwed!
I’d stick where you’re at on the sales side and give it another year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment