Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:22 PM

10 posts, read 5,868 times

Advertisements

I have been at my current work place for about 6 years. Recently I've been looking at other jobs had a couple of interviews already. I really want to leave my current place for a number of reasons.

Thing is I am planning on doing a months traveling next spring. I suppose one good thing about my current job is that they have in the past allowed me to take all my holidays at once.

Am in a slightly strange situation were if by I do manage to secure another job in the next couple of months, then I would be asking my new employer about taking 4 weeks off. I really doubt they'd let me. Another option would be to (if I get a new job), take it then quit around spring time in 2019. This will probably look bad on my CV!

My last option would be to stick it out at my current place for another 1 year, which I really don't want to do.

Any advice? Oh, about the traveling. Its a dream I've had for a long time, looking to travel around around Japan for 1 month. I've decided its now time to fulfill it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 01:26 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,323 times
Japan would be an amazing trip! Too cool.

If I were in your shoes, 1. I would stick things out with your current employer for 6 months to a year. Take your trip and then revisit your job search. Taking a month off with a new place of employment will be tough. I don't feel that would fare well with a new employer. 2. Or perhaps negotiate a start date that will work for you. I have seen people start one month after negotiations. It depends on how urgently they need to fill that role.

I understand you want to leave your current workplace but if this trip is really something you want, you may need to stick this out a little longer. It will be a trade-off. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:32 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
Tell the new employer when you get to the negotiation point. I’ve never negotiated a month but have negotiated 2 weeks. Not sure if they’ll go for it - if not you know though and can then decide. Or you can wait and we months then take the trip between jobs if you can get the timing right. I wouldn’t take a new job and quit though unless you’re in an industry where that is common.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:37 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
You could propose to the new employer vacation without pay. They will usually let you do a longer vacation that way however you would not get paid for that month you are gone.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:39 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
You're not likely to get 4 weeks off at once when just starting with a new employer.

Your 6 years of work there built up a lot of political capital (which you benefit from with the long vacation), and you're starting over with zero political capital.

You'll have to wait until after you take your vacation and then re-evaluate your job search. That is the best time to start a new job.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:40 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Try & get a delayed start date & do the travel before the new job.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:01 AM

497 posts, read 696,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Try & get a delayed start date & do the travel before the new job.
This! I did this many years ago and it worked out. It was just a two-week trip to Europe, though.

Also, Japan is amazing! I just returned from a six-week trip to Japan and would go back tomorrow. I went by myself, so it's a wonderful country for solo travelers. I work remotely, so taking time off from a job was not a problem.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:04 PM

10 posts, read 5,868 times
Thanks for the replies.

I've thought about it a bit more. Getting a job offer about 7 weeks before my trip would be fantastic but tough to pull off due to the timing.

I think am going to carry on applying for jobs and if I get to the negotiation stage then I will tell them of my plans. If they are OK for me to take the month off fine, if not I'll continue applying until a new employee is happy with my plans. My cut off job hunting will probably be around September as any later really wouldn't look good, lol.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:29 PM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkingtheudder View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I've thought about it a bit more. Getting a job offer about 7 weeks before my trip would be fantastic but tough to pull off due to the timing.

I think am going to carry on applying for jobs and if I get to the negotiation stage then I will tell them of my plans. If they are OK for me to take the month off fine, if not I'll continue applying until a new employee is happy with my plans. My cut off job hunting will probably be around September as any later really wouldn't look good, lol.
Unless you find a job that would allow you to not start until after you come back!! Say if you found a job in feb you could just ask, can my start date be xx because I have a planned trip before that time.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:16 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
make it such that you travel in between jobs. to the new employer, when they ask you when to start say the date after you come back from your vacation. tell them you bought the plane tickets or something. Actually I did that once but i traveled for 2 weeks and they gave me documentation to read while on vacation. actually they insisted they hired me immediately and they let me go on vacation but they had me go to work for 1 day before I went on vacation and they gave me stuff to read on the plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment