Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,984,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Management can and should encourage the following:
Doctors appointments can be arranged during non work.hours. period.

I had a doctor's order for six weeks of physical therapy. The workplace said. Schedule on your time, not ours!
They did every thing they could to deter my treatments..last minute changes to schedule (citing they needed certain coverage). Or they changed my day off.

This 'disabled' Co worker can learn to step it up if she wants to remain employed.

And no to the 'employee can take vacation anytime they want'. Management can decline it, deter it and even recind this perk entirely.

Management seems to be sleeping at the wheel if they aren't balancing out duties.
This was an on-job accident and there is already mention of legal action. They will do what Workman's Comp and their attorneys tell them to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 04:19 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,073,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
They know she works from home but not sure they know she is going to the dr.
Don’t you think after several injuries and potential lawsuits the company would question her integrity?
Several injuries and potential lawsuits? The issue here is she fell in the parking lot, right? If the company suspects something they should hire a PI to follow her around and get evidence she is scamming. It would get them off the hook if she is scamming, and just be an added expense if she isn't.

It is obvious that the company is accommodating her. Instead of getting all bent out of shape about her situation, I'd pay attention to that fact.

Many doctors and therapists do not work evenings and weekends, then you have issues with transportation to and from appointments.

If you and your coworkers are getting mad, you might want to think about getting new jobs. If that is not feasible, then MYOB is very good advice here.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,636,478 times
Quote:
They know she works from home but not sure they know she is going to the dr.
Don’t you think after several injuries and potential lawsuits the company would question her integrity?
Of course they know. If you are injured at work, you have to go to the doctor and therapists the worker’s comp system sends you to in order to get paid and accommodated in the workplace. The doctor is the one who provides the recommendations to the workplace about what accommodations need to be made about the work environment and whether the worker has completely improved. The office doesn’t want her to schedule it on their time because they want her to improve ASAP so they can stop paying for the treatment out of their own pockets.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:07 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,193,754 times
Quote:
Cousin? This is my coworker not cousin. Also the myob response is so cliche. What’s the point in having message boards to get feed back then?

The point of a message board is not for you to keep complaining about the same things over and over hoping to get a different answer. And as to her scheduling, I found PT very difficult to schedule at all because they therapists are BUSY. They are not just sitting around waiting for me to decide I feel like dropping by.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:36 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,576,981 times
It happens sometimes

Old 06-07-2018, 07:32 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,312,053 times
Quote:
Our job consists of placing 60 plus orders each per day, correcting many since sales reps enter their orders wrong and responding to a least 200 emails per day. When someone is out you need to cover their work because everything has to be done by the end of the day. Our coworker has been working from home since Feb because she had knee surgery from falling in the parking lot. This is the third time the company has paid for her surgeries/dr etc....from injuring herself at work and she has also tried to sue the company a few times. She has been working from home since Feb and leaving for 3 hours twice a week for dr appt and we have to cover her work. The thing is she is making all her appts in the morning when we get in and have to get to all are own work but now we have to do hers as well. People are getting very angry. They all say she can schedule her physical therapy later in the day or on the weekend. Wouldn’t you agree? Plus she already went on a 2 week vacation where she traveled to several different states. So all of this is getting a bit ridiculous. I just deal with it but the more my coworkers get angry the more it bothers me also.
OP, in every company there is someone like this. It's like a bad apple spoils the whole wagon.

Usually, "sick" employees really have big mouth. They know how to talk the management's ear off and/or know how to play a sick card because there are all kinds of laws to protect sick people.

At my company, there's this gal who is very "sweet", always brings treats in for the management and knows how to flatter them. Before, she said she had a back problem. She used to go on sick leaves for six months here, two months there. One time she fell at home and was off with pay for six weeks, and came in with crutches and a donut cushion to put on her very comfy office chair. And she kept talking on and on about how she fell and the procedures afterwards. She was friendly with the leader, and the leader let her not to do this very heavy job (we work in the office, but there is some heavy labor work to do also). And this gal always goes around and talks a lot, a lot about anything and everything (you name it) for 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there (I'm not exaggerating), and gossips and boasts how rich she is. Can you imagine about someone comes to work and keeps talking about non-work related things like that? And the management just let that happens; and sometimes, they get hooked with her too.

The problem was it ended up for that gal's co-worker to do double the heavy work. And this co-worker had been a very good employee, worked hard, always helped others, and rarely called in sick. But then she had to do more and more and plus to do double that heavy work, she felt that the leader played favoritism. She went to talk to the leader, saying she had lots of work to do already and it was too heavy for one person to do that heavy labor work. The leader still made her to do that job. Later she felt exhausted, burnt out and really sick. She went to see her Doctor and Counselor and went on sick leave for a couple months. And she even reported the issue to the top boss.

When she came back, the duties were divided more fairly. The "sweet" gal had to start to do some of the heavy job too. I think the top management had investigated that issue. And so far both are okay.

The lesson is when the leaders/managers are weak and play favoritism for some employees and treat employees with disrespectfulness and unfairness, the workplace become unproductive and chaos. Employees hate each other. Their morale becomes low. They call in sick more. They don't want to do more than they suppose to. They feel doing Above and Beyond is meaningless. And the company will lose lots of money.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:08 AM

745 posts, read 478,364 times
Quote:
Cousin? This is my coworker not cousin. Also the myob response is so cliche. What’s the point in having message boards to get feed back then?
LOL. I was wondering where cousin came from also. Anyway, does your supervisor or others in management seem to be aware of this?

I recommend you be careful on this. Your supervisor may favor the coworker in some way, (unfairly or not), and it may come back to bite you. But, if you don't think the supervisor will be upset by you talking about it, you might want to indicate that the extra load is causing some issues.

BUT be very careful how you do it. I would not just make it sound like a major complaint because you have more work. Try to phrase it as you see some things in the team not getting done as well due to absences and you are seeking some advice or guidance on how things might be able to get better.

Many of us have been in this boat before, so hang in there.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:17 AM

199 posts, read 128,856 times
There are other factors that play into this but I don’t think it’s allowed to be discussed here. This woman gets away with things that other people who have done much less have been fired for.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:05 PM

13,274 posts, read 8,407,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
You must have missed that the injury occurred at work. That makes this a WC issue and totally different.
No. It makes it that the employers wc insurance will pay for the therapy , medical aides,or medical injury care directly related to the claim. The doctors orders will delegate what the employee can or cannot do while under the physicians care. A physician can determine that the injured is not able to preform the tasks til further treatment is completed. But no a physician rarely orders' patient is only allowed to schedule therapy during normal work hours. '

Old 06-07-2018, 02:42 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,243,300 times
At the very least your management team needs to be made aware of this situation. They should also have a temporary worker on site to taking up the slack created by the missing employee. Covering for an absent employee for a week or two is one thing, to expect it to go on for months is unreasonable and indicates a lack of respect for you and your coworkers.
Do the right thing, ask your manager for a meeting and discuss the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment