Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 05:54 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Did you really even just say this out loud? WTH?
People over 50 are the Devil.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:34 PM

24,627 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Did you really even just say this out loud? WTH?
Perhaps the OP is a big advocate of unemployment benefits, welfare, and homelessness.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,209 times
People younger than me are hopeless lazy idiots that can't reliably tie their own shoes, let alone contribute to the highly complex nature of my business. People older than me are worn out hopelessly addled seat fillers that can barely manage the velcro on their shoes, let alone contribute to the highly complex nature of my business.

Thankfully I remain perfect year after year. If only other people could just follow my example.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:47 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
No, I was a unix sys admin and Oracle dba, so I understood hardware, software, database, networing, and data storage. At the age of 60 I was hired by Johnson&Johnson as a consultant to tend their Business to Business unix servers from 7PM to 7AM on an alternating 3 day/4 day week. Those servers processed the bulk of the online business to business ordering of all the J&J products. This was more than a million dollars an hour, so any interruption in service on any server was considered equivalent to a catastrophe. I updated the software, maintained the servers and brought them back on line quickly in the event of any hardware, software or storage glitches. When J&J made the decision to ship the function to India I helped the India operation by answering their questions while they learned on an offline parallel system.

Next, I got a job heading a team doing data cleanup for the computerized drafting system I had implemented at the company I had retired from. I was the sys admin and dba for that system for 16 years before I retired. We had a small group of programmers that programmed the system although I had designed the database to contain all the data and graphic elements on the maps. The database was unique because it was a flat file structure rather than the traditional parent child Oracle database structure. But that let us access the data through unix scripts that were many times faster than the Oracle queries would have been. It was a computerized mapping system of the electric distribution system for the electric utility. All of the mapping elements fed the utility modelling systems that were used to determine how to maintain and share the electrical load over various electrical networks. Over time the draftsmen introduced errors into the maps which made the models less reliable. I used unix scripts and data base tools to find the errors, loaded all the errors onto a PC database, and assigned the errors to be corrected by five team members and input their corrections via the PC database back into the system database rather than through the drafting interface.

Incidentally I was neither an engineer or a computer science major. I learned everything on the job and through training classes I was sent to. I got the job to implement the computerized drafting system when I was 43. Prior to that I had been a credit analyst, a credit supervisor, a technical writer, a trainer and an internal audit manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
What kind of role was it? Development? It puts developers on a pedestal and everyone else in the SDLC are second class citizens.

Last edited by bobspez; 06-06-2018 at 07:30 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 07:11 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Who doesn't remember the boomer generation saying not to trust anyone over 30?

Old 06-06-2018, 07:38 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
The whole generation didn't say that. Only those who were caught up in the zeitgeist of the time sufficiently to discount common sense. The few people I knew who were that fanatical at the time voted for Trump 50 years later. Go figure. They were caught up in a fad rather than reality. I enjoyed the sex, drugs and rock and roll, but I always thought for myself. I never trusted anyone who told me what to think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Who doesn't remember the boomer generation saying not to trust anyone over 30?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:38 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Please read the forum rules set forth in the Sticky thread. Bashing of any age group is not permitted. This thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment