Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 10:17 PM

33,779 posts, read 16,782,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Customers want good cheap food, they couldn't care less if it's a robot or human delivering it. McDonalds competitors would destroy them overnight if they could offer cheaper and faster burgers via kioks and robots.

Good for McDonalds not to let it happen.
amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 10:27 PM

24,286 posts, read 9,172,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
There's no way McDonald's will stay afloat with $15 minimum wage. It has to start laying off people.
The biggest victims of minimum wage hikes, minimum wage workers.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,479,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The problem with McDonald's is their food, not their employees. The sandwiches and other food portions are too small. When you order a meal at McDonald's you get a message by the size of the portion that says "I don't care about my reputation, I just want to save money by giving you the smallest amount of food that I can get away with."

For a long time this has been the case. I avoid going to this "restaurant" because of these small food portions that seem to be meant for little children rather than adults.

McDonald's can restructure all it wants, but if it doesn't improve the size of their food portions then they will continue to be buffeted around by their competitors
Small portions?

75% of us are overweight/ obese.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of these layoffs are coming from the kiosks.

I've always thought McDonald's sucked. They're my last fast food option. For burgers, we have a local fast food chain called Pal's. Cook Out is also good. If I can't go to these, Burger King and Wendy's are better for the bigger national chains.

I don't know that this means a lot.
Layoffs are contemplated at the corporate level.

Kiosks are at the retail level. 81% of all McDonalds retail are franchise- owned.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:19 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,299,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If you weren't so busy trying to fit every little problem into your political agenda you might realize that "frontline staff" do not work for McDonalds, they work for local business people who hold the franchises. Labor in the stores does not eat up corporate profits.
Give it a rest, Kokonutty. This poster can have a different opinion than you do. This is the internet. People will post things you don't agree with. KWIM?

Old 06-15-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I live in a large city with a whole bunch of McDonalds locations all over the place. But last I heard, none of the ones here are company-owned stores. They are all franchise operations.

I wonder how this will impact those independently-owned franchise operations, whose employees technically don't work for McDonald's?
It doesn’t impact franchise operations.

81% of retail McDonalds are franchise- owned and operated. McDonalds intendes to increase the franchise operation to 90%.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The issue of automation taking over human jobs is sadly ignored.
Since the late 70’s, more jobs have been eliminated by technology substitution/ industrial robotics than outsourcing/ offshoring.

I have a friend whose father was an elevator operator in the Empire State Building. The man pushed buttons for a living. He made enough back in the day to own a small apartment building ( VA Loan) in a rough part of Queens and support a wife and 5 kids. They had no car. They had no TV. They never dined out or vacationed. Mother sewed clothing for the kids. Nothing was wasted or thrown out.

This was the lower Middle Economic Class in the 50’s- 60’s.

He retired with a full pension.

That job was replaced by technology and the public’s ability to push their own buttons.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
I think you confuse the types of technologies that were in the past versus many of the new ones. They have different philosophies.

The paradigm shift in technology, and how it will affect your future
My first full time employer had multiple massive typing pools. Women who did nothing else all day but sit and type.

Then came Word Processing which eventually evolved to DIY. Hundreds of thousands of jobs just vanished.

On Pay Day, back then, it was common to wait in line 45 minutes to deposit your paycheck. Then came Direct Deposit, ATMs, electronic check clearing and now electronic banking. Hundreds of thousands of jobs vanished.

Today’s custom industrial robotics are designed to compete with the lowest cost sources of human labor.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
McDonalds rather lay off employees to keep up profits in the age of minimal wage hikes and slow business, imagine that.
Layoffs are intended at the corporate level. These are not low wage jobs.

Senior Management has one primary responsibility- increase shareholder value.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Kiosks and robot burger makers will be coming soon, and help improve McD's profitability.
It will improve franchise profits which in turn may make franchise licenses more valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment