Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 09:58 AM

7 posts, read 4,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Find another job, and when in a bad work environment, relish in the fact we now have the lowest ever recorded ratio of unemployed to job openings at .95. It peaked 8 years ago at 6.7 unemployed per opening.

Why relish? Oh because corps today backfilling will either pay more or settle for less, in the vast majority of cases, with their new hire.

Smart corps today are dreading a 2 week notice.

I have gotten so many calls on an unappetizing professional position (that could have filled with ease at same $ in 2010), I annoyed recruiter by singing "Happy B'day, dear job opening" to her when she called ten days ago on it. Its actually open just 9 months. Not a year. But it will pass a year.

So relish the angst bad employers are feeling at this time. As an employee, one should view it like the cherry on the sundae.

Job Hunt. It is a GREAT time to do it.
Love it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 01:48 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,557,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbieontheblock86 View Post
A few weeks ago , management made an announcement to everyone in our department one of our teammates coworker would be leaving . I emailed her and wished her congratulations she replied thank you and that was that . A few days ago , it was just me , her and a few others working in the office and she comes to my desk and tells me she appreciated the email , and she was really excited about her new job opportunity . She goes on to say that she is happy to be leaving due to everything she has been through . And goes on to say , she has had people try and get her fired for no reason , she has had certain people try and lie on her and she would often go home and cry . The harassment she went through was so bad she even went to a psychologist and was put on antidepressants. I admitted to her that I go though the same situation , I have been talked about , shunned , treated like an outcast , mocked , belittled and have also went home to cry . I also have been seeing a therapist to get him with my depression . And so after that conversation , she had a meeting with the executive director ,it could have been unrelated but now I’m wondering if she told someone in upper management what I told her and I m sort of worried because I notice when I seen the executive director after that she kind of avoided eye contact with me and didn’t reallt engage with me like she normally do
Question is was I wrong for confiding in the coworker about being bullied
I never pinpointed anyone so I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong
A conversation between two people? If asked ... I don't know what that person is talking about ... is a great response.

I don't know why you're still there, any way. Don't need to answer that to me, but to yourself.

If it was me, I wouldn't be there, but that's just me. In other words I do not know your situation. However, I will say, that which has been said to me before, 'no one should ever have to live/work, in that situation'.

Be strong and evaluate, often.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:02 PM

177 posts, read 130,723 times
I’m just trying to stick in there and deal with whatever comes my way due to a possible lay off which will Include severance payoutts. We are in the process of transferring about 90 percent of our job duties to two other departments within the next few weeks .they haven’t given us an official date of when the trade off of duties will be, but our management has instructed us to put together training materials to give to the new departments by June 25th ..so about 4-6 weeks after that which might be August. I hope I can make it but my manager is giving me an extra hard time I feel like she is waiting on me to make a mistake to hopefully terminate me

Old 06-10-2018, 04:12 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,460,251 times
Quote:
A few weeks ago , management made an announcement to everyone in our department one of our teammates coworker would be leaving . I emailed her and wished her congratulations she replied thank you and that was that . A few days ago , it was just me , her and a few others working in the office and she comes to my desk and tells me she appreciated the email , and she was really excited about her new job opportunity . She goes on to say that she is happy to be leaving due to everything she has been through . And goes on to say , she has had people try and get her fired for no reason , she has had certain people try and lie on her and she would often go home and cry . The harassment she went through was so bad she even went to a psychologist and was put on antidepressants. I admitted to her that I go though the same situation , I have been talked about , shunned , treated like an outcast , mocked , belittled and have also went home to cry . I also have been seeing a therapist to get him with my depression . And so after that conversation , she had a meeting with the executive director ,it could have been unrelated but now I’m wondering if she told someone in upper management what I told her and I m sort of worried because I notice when I seen the executive director after that she kind of avoided eye contact with me and didn’t reallt engage with me like she normally do
Question is was I wrong for confiding in the coworker about being bullied
I never pinpointed anyone so I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong
Yes. I understand what you are going through because I was a victim of it too. Do not confide in coworkers regarding anything.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:21 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,557,364 times
Quote:
I’m just trying to stick in there and deal with whatever comes my way due to a possible lay off which will Include severance payoutts. We are in the process of transferring about 90 percent of our job duties to two other departments within the next few weeks .they haven’t given us an official date of when the trade off of duties will be, but our management has instructed us to put together training materials to give to the new departments by June 25th ..so about 4-6 weeks after that which might be August. I hope I can make it but my manager is giving me an extra hard time I feel like she is waiting on me to make a mistake to hopefully terminate me
Easier said than done, but ... act, not react to all that is going on around you. Be confident, you know your job and again, if asked (practice your response aloud at home) I love my job and my coworkers are great! You say that enough times to yourself, you'll begin to believe it, even if it isn't true.

The one you confided in is gone, so stop worrying about it. Do what is asked of you and do it ... very important, with a smile on your face. Always, smile. Do not ever have any other expression on your face ... and you'll be fine.

You are a professional ... by the time it is all over said and done, you will have a resume that rocks and the interview process for the next position will go much smoother, because you will be more prepared.

We learn from our experiences and you are going through a teachable moment ... learn from it.

Most important, don't forget to breathe. It relaxes you through out the day. Do not let them win.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:07 AM

70 posts, read 59,344 times
Going home and crying??? Wow what kind of place is this??? Are you sure you can hang on until severance?? Seems they are trying to get rid of you sooner. Can you continue to take the mental burden?? Seriously.....think about your health.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:41 PM

407 posts, read 368,431 times
Quote:
There is no guarantee they will give you any severance or, if they give you any, it could be very small. Is the impact on your mental health really worth it? If I were you, I'd be looking for a new job yesterday.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:31 PM

795 posts, read 1,003,591 times
Never ever confide in or trust a coworker unless they are a very good, long time friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment