Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:27 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,502,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Yeah, in this case it was a jumping off point after which I moved into new roles. Document review had dead-end written all over it; but I can't really complain very much because the legal job market was so horrific in 2009-2010 that the $24/hr helped put food on the table and pay my rent with a little buffer for when I got laid off.

I was also lucky to get into several long-term projects, many other lawyers doing doc review weren't sure from day to day whether they would have work. That kind of volatility is one of the many reasons why document review is both a career killer as well as just bad for one's mental health long-term.
We sometimes hired six or eight of them through Kelly Services. We paid $30/hour for them, so Kelly must have been paying them about $20. We put all of them in a big war room with no windows and gave them each a computer and they sat there sorting through millions of pages of documents and looking for privileged materials. They could work as much as they wanted. They did not get overtime. They often worked int hat room for 12 or 15 hours a day. I felt so bad about it I avoided going in there (they were generally pretty weird anyway.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:46 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,502,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
You'd think so, but actually there are a number of reasons, including:

1) The lawyer doesn't want the paralegal trying to make legal decisions; which (presumably) a lawyer might be inclined to do, the paralegal is just supposed to carry out research.

2) The lawyer doesn't want another lawyer questioning their decision-making/second-guessing them,

3) There's a (often correctly) perceived view that the lawyer-turned-paralegal will immediately leave the job once a 'real' lawyer role opens up; thus sunk costs in training, etc.,

Of all the reasons I saw, the third was probably the strongest. A lawyer knows that another lawyer isn't taking a paralegal role unless times are tough, and they'll probably bail as soon as other options are available. Hiring a 'career paralegal' so to speak, is probably safer long-term.
1. I did my own research. I could do it faster and I was never comfortable a paralegal or associate would not miss something (because when I had them do it, they always did seem to miss critical things, or come back with a completely wrong answer). However a good paralegal who could do research on people was great. Paralegals were for organizing, preparing, putting together witness information, investigating, computer presentation system operations, putting together graphics and videos, testing your case.

2. I always had other lawyers question my decision making and second guessing me. If an associate could not come up with at least one good reason my strategy was flawed, I did not want them around. I tested every decision, strategy, idea, approach etc with as many lawyers as I could. the more they second guessed, the more I could hone my position and prepare for what would happen in the courtroom. That is the entire advantage of being in a firm. There was an added advantage, you could show everyone how clever you are, through this process. Remember, your partners almost never see you perform in a courtroom. They really do not know how good you are or aren't playing devils advocate with them gives you the chance to remind them. It matters.

3. My concern with lawyer turned paralegal is the same issue I had with people with paralegal certificates. They too often think they already know it all. They do not listen and more importantly, they do not learn and figure out better ways. This is true of many paralegals or young associates. tell me "You cannot do that" and I do not want to work with you ever again. I am looking for the person who says, we have to do it a different way. This is what I suggest. That is the great paralegal or associate, even if their suggestion is dumb. There is a way around every problem or roadblock, you just have to figure it out.

However almost all of the really good litigation paralegals ended up leaving. Either for law school or for a more rewarding career. Three of them went into charity work. I was jealous. We only ever had one paralegal who was a law school grad. They stayed around, however they were nto all that great. They never would have made a good lawyer, at least not a good litigator.

Keep in mind, you do not have to be good at either to work int he legal profession. A lot of areas of legal practice are rote. Just filling out forms and doing or saying the same things over and over. Those jobs do not pay super well if you are honest, and they usually end up putting people in rehab, but there is an easy path.

Further if you are good at marketing or have great connections you do not need to be a good lawyer to be massively successful and become a partner in big law. In fact, such people do better than great lawyers who have few connections or marketing skills.

One thing to consider about law school, it is an amazing process all by itself. The first year is hell, but at least at a top tier school the overall process is amazing. You learn so much about everything you can imagine. There are MDs, MBAs, professional football players, brain surgeons, engineers, musicians, writers, veterinarians, children of governors or senators, or celebrities, nutritionists, you name it. Every single person has some amazing specialized knowlege and they are all happy to share it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment