Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 01:49 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,198,111 times

Advertisements

There is a manager here in my office (not mine) that allows his employees to listen to headphones at work, but only if they are listening to music at a low volume. He doesn’t allow things like sports talk radio, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. His reasoning is that these other non-music items are more likely to interfere with work concentration. The policy is on honor system and he doesn’t actually check what you are listening to.

Do you think this is a fair rule? Do you agree that non-music listening requires more concentration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 01:55 PM

4,268 posts, read 6,268,206 times
I do think non-music requires more concentration, and therefore should not be allowed unless the job in question is repetitive and/or requires no thought behind the task involved.

Case in point: I listen to audiobooks when I'm cleaning the house, or doing yardwork. But if I'm doing data entry or working in a spreadsheet, or typing up a report - those require me to pay attention and at that point only music will allow me to focus.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,238 posts, read 80,460,275 times
Is it fair? Sure, the rule applies to everyone in the same manner.It would be unfair if some were allowed to listen to only music, others to anything, others not at all.

I don't care what my people listen to while working, as long as their performance is not affected. They are handling very detailed legal documents and billing data entry, and manage to get the work done in a timely manner with very few errors whether listening to something on headphones or being distracted by the voices of other employees talking near their cubicles. Some people are more affected by distraction than others, and some make a lot of mistakes even without distraction.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:55 PM

6,448 posts, read 7,747,461 times
Of course. Listening to music is different than listening to an audio book, which something you need to give attention to in order to absorb. Music is much easier to put in the background.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:07 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,440,625 times
Sounds fair and unenforceable.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:58 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,855,640 times
Honestly, I can't do my professional work listening to anything through headphones.

I'm envious of those who can.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:25 PM

3,042 posts, read 2,347,672 times
Where I used to work, I HAD to listen to something, and at a pretty high volume, because some of my coworkers were so loud. It was like working in Grand Central Station.

This manager's policy, while it might seem like micromanaging (even though it's on the honor system), probably makes for a more pleasant and productive environment than where people are free to indulge in distractions and noise making where concentration is required.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,547,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
There is a manager here in my office (not mine) that allows his employees to listen to headphones at work, but only if they are listening to music at a low volume. He doesn’t allow things like sports talk radio, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. His reasoning is that these other non-music items are more likely to interfere with work concentration. The policy is on honor system and he doesn’t actually check what you are listening to.

Do you think this is a fair rule? Do you agree that non-music listening requires more concentration?
A. Not your manager, so why are you worrying about it?

B. Some offices do not allow headphones at all.

C. Yes, audiobooks and podcasts do require more attention.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 PM

343 posts, read 227,783 times
I agree with your manager. Music is fine as background or to drown out a noisy office because it gets tuned out but listening to something informative or engaging would detract from work. I think allowing employees to listen to music is enough. How they'd go about checking to make sure no one was listening to a podcast instead of pure songs is anyone's guess though so I bet this is one of those rules that's not strictly enforced.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:45 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,093,648 times
How does he know what they are listening to?

If it wasn't for earbuds, I would not get any work done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment