Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:04 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Discrimination and judgment, selection and exclusion, are the essence of conscious life.
The discrimination must be rational. Based on facts, not false stereotypes. Racism and ageism is not rational.

Quote:
Racism is immoral and evil,
And so is ageism, for the same reasons. No facts are used to reject people based on age, they reject them based on false stereotypes.

In addition, you were just promoting racism so you just contradicted yourself yet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 11:09 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
The discrimination must be rational. Based on facts, not false stereotypes. Racism and ageism is not rational.

And so is ageism, for the same reasons. No facts are used to reject people based on age, they reject them based on false stereotypes.

In addition, you were just promoting racism so you just contradicted yourself yet again.

Let's agree to disagree. I want the State out of telling people who to associate with, and that's that.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:41 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
A lot of interesting discussion so far

What do you think about a recruiter on LinkedIn who is dumb enough to put it on his profile ::
Absolutely stupid and unprofessional.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
[quote=Marc Paolella;52214182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post

Because the State, in the free society I want and envision, has no place interfering in private relationships. Plus, the discrimination works both ways. I should be able to discriminate only in favor of older people if I feel they match what I want done. For most areas in which I personally would be hiring, 40 would be the sweet spot. So I would be discriminating in favor of the middle aged. But I want the freedom for everyone to favor whatever age they want. If I run a 2 person lawn care service and I'm male and 50 and want a version of myself to work along side of me. That's who I'm going to hire. The State can't tell me who or how or why or how much. If I am a 22 year old female running my new 3-person office cleaning service, and I want 2 other YOUNG - WOMEN to work with me, then THAT is who I'm going to hire. If some 50 year old dude applies, he's out. That's not who I want to be spending my working day with at that stage of my life. The State should no more tell you who you can hire than who you can be friends with. Period. Total, 100% Freedom of Association and Disassociation.

If I'm casting my movie and the main characters are a 6 1/2 foot black dude with a bodybuilder physique and hot 22 year old white female blond adonisette, THAT'S who I am going to hire. I am going to pick, choose, discriminate, exclude, include, accept, or reject ANYONE I want for any or no reason. It's my damned movie and I'll cast who I want. All workplaces should operate just like that. The person hiring is the BOSS and will decide who he or she is going to hire based on their own needs and wants. I don't accept other people in the form of the State sticking their nose in and having any input or control over this free association.

Don't almost ALL American companies just say they chose " a more qualified candidate" to get around anti discrimination laws anyway? If so discrimination in hiring would be very easy, so couldn't you just go that route in pro-corporation America?

Old 06-19-2018, 08:43 AM

[quote=LeaveWI;52237551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Don't almost ALL American companies just say they chose " a more qualified candidate" to get around anti discrimination laws anyway? If so discrimination in hiring would be very easy, so couldn't you just go that route in pro-corporation America?
The laws are fairly easy to circumvent, but the laws should be repealed just the same. Through incrementalism, laws like this expand and become absolute monsters. In the Internet era of instant public shaming, all discrimination laws should be repealed. The State has no business interfering in private human relationships. Education and philosophy can handle this.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:40 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Is it discrimination? Probably. Does that violate federal age discrimination laws? No, for better or worse.
So that the record is straight: https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/statutes/adea.cfm

Age discrimination is most certainly unlawful according to the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967. If you look at the web site you will see that it is built into the US code.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
The sad thing is that Marc Paolella is a real estate agent and therefore, is using his real name on CD. Advocating discrimination in the workforce and changing labor laws to permit discrimination makes me concerned that this person would also follow discriminating policies when showing houses or apartments. I definitely will not list my NJ apartment with this guy. I guess you also want the state not to interfere with private human relationships so that people can be denied where they can live.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The sad thing is that Marc Paolella is a real estate agent and therefore, is using his real name on CD. Advocating discrimination in the workforce and changing labor laws to permit discrimination makes me concerned that this person would also follow discriminating policies when showing houses or apartments. I definitely will not list my NJ apartment with this guy. I guess you also want the state not to interfere with private human relationships so that people can be denied where they can live.
Wonder how his employer feels.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:22 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
I saw this when I worked in the grocery business. The store managers were always under pressure to reduce payroll. And one way of doing this was to try to fire the older and slower, more expensive workers and replace them with minimum wagers.

That's why I find it annoying when there is a discussion to raise the retirement age. It's quite possible for "retirement" to come far earlier than the full retirement age. And it really does not matter what industry you are in.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I universally advocate for removing the State from our lives to the greatest extent possible. I have referred to racism as the most primitive form of collectivism, a notion originally promulgated in Objectivist literature by Ayn Rand. That is my position. Racism IS collectivism. Tribalism IS collectivism. It is an irrational position and human beings should freely avoid and reject irrationality whenever they can. Nonetheless, I do not favor the State regulating human relationships. In a free society, racism and tribalism will die over time because they are irrational positions. The State cannot add to that process, it can only subtract.

In other news, I am one of only very few posters on City-Data with the nerve to offer my opinions under my real name. I don't hide like so many of you under an anonymous alias.

In fact, I think City-Data should reorganize and mandate that EVERYONE post under their real, verified, identity. Let's see how many people in this anonymous Internet era are willing to step up to the plate and give personal identity to their positions and opinions.

The Internet is still new, and still evolving. I would like to see the radical elimination of anonymity in the private marketplace. Not through State action, but through private action. Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, all of it should be non-anonymous. The intellectual roaches would scatter if the identity lights were turned on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment