Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:36 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Because there is some truth in most stereotypes. That's how they became stereotypes. Repeated observation of certain truths.
There's also some truth in propaganda. But let's not say that propaganda is good.

I like to think of the half-truth said to make a deception happen, as the stereotypes in question.

People are to be judged as individuals, not based on the groups they're in. That's why we rail against racism, sexism, bigotry of all kinds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Yes, and a family health plan is four times as much as a health plan for someone with single coverage. At one of my companies, single coverage is roughly $400 per month, while the family plan is $1,600. That in itself is a $15,000 increase in total pay compensation for the year. I'd need to make sure the additional cost can be offset by a higher ROI for the latter employee.
Most companies cover the employee portion and make the employee cover the rest. So this is usually not the case.

Quote:
Only naive business owners wouldn't take that into consideration when hiring.
There's also the Affordable Care Act that levies a 40% tax on "Cadillac plans" which are over a certain dollar amount. Regardless of how good those plans are, the premiums for older workers is going to be above that threshold. That Cadillac Tax is the Federal Government promoting ageism through taxation.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:27 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
There's also some truth in propaganda. But let's not say that propaganda is good.

I like to think of the half-truth said to make a deception happen, as the stereotypes in question.

People are to be judged as individuals, not based on the groups they're in. That's why we rail against racism, sexism, bigotry of all kinds.
What country are you living in? Everything is identity politics right now where we IGNORE the individual in favor of blatant protected tribalism. The same way we ignore individual rights in politics. NOBODY is to be judged as an individual any more.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
What country are you living in? Everything is identity politics right now where we IGNORE the individual in favor of blatant protected tribalism. The same way we ignore individual rights in politics.
This is true only for those who make a living in partisan politics. Partisan politics is one group of corrupt people, seeking to enrich cronies at everyone else's expense, railing against another group of corrupt people seeking to enrich cronies at everyone else's expense.

Needless to say, I'm not a partisan shill. I deal with facts. I'm out here in the real world instead of the out of touch political bubbles around DC and state capitals.

The rest of the USA are working for a living and want to not be stereotyped out of a job, or having prejudice keep them from getting a job. Apparently you disagree with that view.

Quote:
NOBODY is to be judged as an individual any more.
Seems a certain famous civil rights leader would disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Luther King Jr.
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Seems we have a longer way to go than from his time, as a society we have went backwards. Only one reason why: political policy that cronies must be enriched at everyone else's expense.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:35 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
No I won't, I'm way past 35 and I could land a job in 10 minutes..
Not a job that would flat out reject your application based on your age, eh?

Your generalizations about the physical limitations of older workers are valid for laborer positions, but I don't believe they are for most jobs. Just how strong and energetic does one need to be in order to work at a computer?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:10 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
No I won't, I'm way past 35 and I could land a job in 10 minutes.
Same here.

Here's just the most recent LinkedIn thread:

Quote:
Hi Kalee. Sorry, the number in your VM got munged. But I am very happy where I am. To get me to even think about moving right now, someone would have to offer me so much that I'd question their sanity :-) Like, to the point of being able to afford Newport Beach :-D

2:55 PM

Kalee
Kalee sent the following message at 3:22 PM
Hi jnojr, they have the money to make it happen. I would love to tell you more if you are open or if you wan to suggest it to one of your friends?
For those who don't know, Newport Beach is a $1,000,000+ housing market. (and where this job is located, hence the reference)

They know how old I am. They do not care. They're willing to, nearly literally, throw piles of money at me to get me.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... most "ageism", when we aren't talking about jobs where manual labor is a factor or where margins don't easily support massively higher health care premiums; is the perceived result of people who are very used to doing X, have done it their way for decades, and aren't willing to learn anything new. Someone who is truly an expert, especially in tech, who has decades of experience showing that they can and do adapt as needed, is a gem. They're hunted for and fought over. Nobody gives a fig what my health insurance premiums are... the value I bring to the business makes ten or twenty thousand dollars a year nearly a rounding error. They pay me more in reimbursements for travel expenses in six months than they spend on health insurance for a year or two. Nobody cares. They just want the job done.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:19 AM

303 posts, read 821,762 times
Quote:
In a free society, a company should be able to choose workers of any preferred age for any or no reason. If you want a young workforce, that should be the beginning and end of it. For example a trendy clothing company that is trying to appeal to 20 year olds should be free to post the following: "Retail jobs available. You must be between 21 and 31 years old, and you must be physically fit and attractive." That should be totally fine. The age and appearance of the employee is important and they need young vibrant talent on the sales floor. Age and physical appearance is an important factor for some jobs, and a company should be able hire on age and weight and attractiveness if that is what they want to do for their business. A job is a PRIVATE relationship. There is no right to a job, and no right to force others to hire you. As usual, freedom should be the guiding principle, not political correctness.

I suppose you oppose minimum wage and support child labor too.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:22 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Unfortunately it's a sign of the times. For every successful age discrimination suit, hundreds others go nowhere.

Corporations have sooo many tricks up their sleeve to weed out older applicants, they've been emboldened by Supreme Court ruling that makes it harder to prove ageism. Nowadays they don't even care and flaunt it.

The ad in the original post is not that far off from job advertisements in some Southeast Asia countries where maximum age is openly posted (female, 30-35 years old)

My one big regret in life is not saving more from earlier in my 20's. When you are young you think it lasts forever. I could have retired by now instead of worrying about my future in my 50's.

Help wanted, but not from older workers: Many struggle to find jobs as employers post openings - The Boston Globe

Old 06-15-2018, 12:04 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
But old people? It's rational and logical to be very careful in hiring them. They often cannot do the job as well as a younger person, and we have NO RIGHT to force people to hire inferior workers.

So, it is okay to blanket discriminate against anyone over 50, because they might not be able to do the job? Just throw them on the trash heap, 15 years short of retirement. Do you consider anyone over 50 to be "inferior"?

It seems to me that ability to do the job has always been a legitimate factor in hiring - no one is forcing you to hire someone who can't do the job. Basing your decision simply on age, however, is illegal.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:50 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
I suppose you oppose minimum wage and support child labor too.
Absolutely. The State has no right to price fix the cost of labor. Price fixing is illegal, except when practiced by the State? Absurd. Gambling is immoral. Except when run by the State? Equally absurd and hypocritical. Wages should be set by the employer and the employee based on supply and demand. There should be no minimum wage. It is an immoral form of State-sponsored theft.

Child labor laws are unnecessary. A parent can decide when to allow their child to work and what jobs they can do. It is not a matter for the State to get involved in.

We need total separation of Economics and State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment