Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Is it discrimination? Probably. Does that violate federal age discrimination laws? No, for better or worse.
Yes, it actually is discrimination under the ADEA (Age Discrimination in Employment Act) which is enforced by the EEOC.

Age discrimination can refer to adverse action to individuals over the age of 40 in hiring, transfer, promotion, or firing.

I personally found the ad amusing because they just came outright and said "young".

I have no interest in the position myself.

Usually they hide behind euphemisms such as "fresh college graduates".

If someone older applies for it and doesn't get the job they could push the issue based on the wording of the ad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 08:46 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I don't know what the big deal is. If you are old, then you know right upfront they don't want you. So you don't waste your time with them. Would the complainers feel better if that company had used a more vague ad to hide their true intention of hiring old people but the end result would be exactly the same: no old people will be hired?
Wait until you are "old"... it's not fun and games finding a job.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:
I don't know what the big deal is. If you are old, then you know right upfront they don't want you. So you don't waste your time with them. Would the complainers feel better if that company had used a more vague ad to hide their true intention of hiring old people but the end result would be exactly the same: no old people will be hired?
The issue is that discriminatory hiring practices are wrong, no matter what group is adversely impacted.

Would the ad still be okay if it said " We're looking for a couple of elite white energetic customer service geniuses" or if it said "We're looking for a couple of elite male energetic customer service geniuses" ?

The "old" people who are covered under anti-discrimination laws are those 40+. In some fields, 35+ is considered "old".

40 isn't old considering that retirement age is up around 70 now but there are some ignorant employers. This is why we can't have nice things and why we need agencies like the EEOC.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:57 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
I don't know what the big deal is. If you are old, then you know right upfront they don't want you. So you don't waste your time with them. Would the complainers feel better if that company had used a more vague ad to hide their true intention of not hiring old people but the end result would be exactly the same: no old people will be hired?
Seems like you're not getting the point. Now let's reword this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworded
I don't know what the big deal is. If you are black, then you know right upfront they don't want you. So you don't waste your time with them. Would the complainers feel better if that company had used a more vague ad to hide their true intention of not hiring black people but the end result would be exactly the same: no black people will be hired?
Does this sound good to you?

Quote:
I don't know what the big deal is. If you are Hispanic, then you know right upfront they don't want you. So you don't waste your time with them. Would the complainers feel better if that company had used a more vague ad to hide their true intention of not hiring Hispanic people but the end result would be exactly the same: no Hispanic people will be hired?
Again, does this sound good to you?

Quote:
I don't know what the big deal is. If you are LGBT, then you know right upfront they don't want you. So you don't waste your time with them. Would the complainers feel better if that company had used a more vague ad to hide their true intention of not hiring LGBT people but the end result would be exactly the same: no LGBT people will be hired?

Probably not.

Double standard = corruption.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
On the job hunt today for HR or operations management jobs around Erie and this was posted on Monster:

Almost felt like emailing them and asking if 48 was 'young' since I still felt young

I'm guessing that this company does not have a legal department or has an HR department that was sleeping when they placed this ad...
Make a copy of the ad apply and get declined. Get a lawyer and sue. It’s the American way

Old 06-12-2018, 09:10 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Make a copy of the ad apply and get declined. Get a lawyer and sue. It’s the American way
Get some of your older friends to join you and make it a class action lawsuit. THAT is the American way

Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Seems like you're not getting the point. Now let's reword this.

Does this sound good to you?

Probably not.

Double standard = corruption.
I appreciate the effort, but nah not the same thing. I am referring to the ad, not my post. Your response to my post is adequate, however, your rewording is not what the spirit of the ad is.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:58 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Yes, it actually is discrimination under the ADEA (Age Discrimination in Employment Act) which is enforced by the EEOC.

Age discrimination can refer to adverse action to individuals over the age of 40 in hiring, transfer, promotion, or firing.

I personally found the ad amusing because they just came outright and said "young".

I have no interest in the position myself.

Usually they hide behind euphemisms such as "fresh college graduates".

If someone older applies for it and doesn't get the job they could push the issue based on the wording of the ad.
This only says 'young'. That is subjective. It would be very difficult to prove they meant '40 years old or younger' in this ad.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:41 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
I don't know what the big deal is. If you are old, then you know right upfront they don't want you. So you don't waste your time with them. Would the complainers feel better if that company had used a more vague ad to hide their true intention of not hiring old people but the end result would be exactly the same: no old people will be hired?

So, if it is okay to discriminate based on age, what about race, ethnicity, religion, and gender? Would "No blacks, Irish, Asians, Italians, Jews, Catholics, or women need apply" be okay?

Old 06-13-2018, 03:27 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Wow, good catch there Marie. Reminds me of this thread I made last year (When a Hiring Manager says, "I'm looking for someone young" )
I just browsed some posts in the thread you linked.

IMO, it's worth a bump, if someone wants to get back to that discussion.

Why do I say this?

Because I'm 48.

I look younger but I'm 48 and will switch industries in less than 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment