Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 11:39 AM

11 posts, read 10,742 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have some questions regarding posting work experience on job applications.

I know that with resumes, you can leave off jobs that you don't want to include for various reasons (being fired, quit after a short time of being employed, etc).

But, on job applications, since it is a legal document, I am curious on several things.

Does the wording on how they ask for previous work history make a difference? For example, if they use the phrase "work history" or "work experience," do you have to list every single job you've had?

If they use the phrase "please list every job you've had in the last 5 years," I understand they are being specific and you must answer honestly.

So, if they are being vague and are asking for "work history" or "work experience," could you leave jobs off of the application?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 12:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
You could but how they word the app doesn't offer any greater protection. Remember, most jobs are " employment at will" so they can term for any reason outside of a protected reason (race, sex, age, etc.)

Old 06-18-2018, 01:01 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike456 View Post
Hello,

I know that with resumes, you can leave off jobs that you don't want to include for various reasons (being fired, quit after a short time of being employed, etc).

But, on job applications, since it is a legal document, I am curious on several things.
Why do you believe an application is a "legal document"?

Quote:
Does the wording on how they ask for previous work history make a difference? For example, if they use the phrase "work history" or "work experience," do you have to list every single job you've had?
Why would it?

Quote:
If they use the phrase "please list every job you've had in the last 5 years," I understand they are being specific and you must answer honestly.

So, if they are being vague and are asking for "work history" or "work experience," could you leave jobs off of the application?
Of course you can! What do you think will happen?

Of course, they're free to form any opinion they want about you, and if you don't give them what they want, they can decide they don't want to employ you. So it's up to you... answer how you want and see what happens, or answer how they want and try to get the job.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:37 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Who says that job applications are "legal documents"?

Is there some state law that we don't know about specific to your state?

You are not obligated to place every single job you have in your work history.

Put too much and you'll be rejected due to ageism.
If you have gaps, you will be asked to explain them during an interview.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Who says that job applications are "legal documents"?

Is there some state law that we don't know about specific to your state?

You are not obligated to place every single job you have in your work history.

Put too much and you'll be rejected due to ageism.
If you have gaps, you will be asked to explain them during an interview.
It's not a legal document but it also doesn't offer any legal protection from how completed. That said, best to complete as honestly and clearly as you can.

Very few apps. require total work history.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
It's not a legal document but it also doesn't offer any legal protection from how completed. That said, best to complete as honestly and clearly as you can.

Very few apps. require total work history.
Correct, omitting temporary survival jobs that don't deal with your career path is not considered lying.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Correct, omitting temporary survival jobs that don't deal with your career path is not considered lying.
We agree it's not a legal document- Good.

What I want to make clear to OP and others that may be in the same situation- If an application asks for employment history past X years and applicant doesn't include all history, the employer can legally elect not to hire or term after hire for omitting that information. Doesn't mean they will, simply that they can.

A resume is a different document, it's simply a job candidates marketing tool, highlighting and focusing
most relevant job history is common and accepted.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:39 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike456 View Post
Hello,

Thanks for your help.
Rule of thumb is that you list the last three employers.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:58 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
OP, I only put relevant experience, worked within the time frame the application asks for. Even a recent job that's not relevant may not be on the resume. Sometimes I leave it off the application also. To be honest it just depends.

For me, the "sticky-wicket" is when a job you've had for a short time, has a skill set you need to actually show on the resume.

I've been an executive, have advanced degrees, and work for decades. So let's presume I can make change and know how to pay bills and process payments.

I applied for a government job where whether I'd ever processed payments, and worked with money were among the assessment questions. Well, my 7 week job at Trader Joe's was NOT on my resume until I saw those questions. I added it because I didn't want to be eliminated because I'd answered "yes" to having that experience....but the job reflecting that wasn't on the resume.

But I think that's mostly a government thing, where you have to show on the resume you have "experience" making frigging change and "dealing with money" in a job setting." Put aside that even with everyone paying by debit card now, I can't imagine that at SOME point in their lives everyone hasn't used real cash.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:33 AM

I'm not putting irrelevant experience on my resume. While going through college I held a series of minimum wage jobs. None of them showed up on my resume at graduation. I did put my last job which I held in grad school since it was relevant to the tech career I was planning on entering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment