Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 11:14 PM

187 posts, read 128,382 times

Advertisements

It has to do with the drive or interest in that person. There are somw who really are ok with retail work forever, and some who strive to do more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 11:19 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,222,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Actually recent grads (and most recent college grads in their 20s) are getting a multitude of job offers now that pay way more than $15 an hour even if they have little or no relevant experience (ex. there are a ton a job listings that ask for "1 - 5 years" of experience & a BA degree..
Those are not the roles they were studying for. They're working in roles that don't require the degree. Someone can't find the financial analyst job they wanted, ok, so go into sales. Someone can't become an accountant, becomes a clerk.

Quote:
It is actually career changers who are on the other side of say 35 and worse in their 40s or older that seem to be having the most trouble.

I'm there myself. 3 career changes attempted and employers think I'm only qualified at my old role.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:23 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Wow. Take one person and use them to extrapolate about an entire socioeconomic class. What you are portraying is a guy who appears to have screwed up and walked away from every opportunity he was ever given - with those opportunities being pretty abundant. There's a mental health issue going on there, not an income issue.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:38 AM

7,642 posts, read 4,588,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Until **** happens to you, you wont understand. Compassion is a virtue that some people never possess until they need some and it is given. Then compassion lives.
Compassion can go too far, especially when given unevenly. If jobs had true expectations and requirements we'd all be better off. If you're on a moving assembly line and each spot has a function, you need to be on time. If you're opening the store, you need to be on time. Time not your strong point...close the store. I'm rather tired of trying to manage people that are terrible at their job, but they're good at things that don't matter and the rest of the team is just supposed to deal with their issues.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:08 AM

529 posts, read 507,755 times
I worked hard, study, got my degree, pounded the pavement for work, and didn't get back **** in my field for it. And if you don't get hired in the end, it doesn't really matter how hard you tried. No one gives a damn about effort. Only results.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:10 AM

13,610 posts, read 10,018,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Honestly, this sounds more like a psychology topic than a work and employment topic.
True, and it's easy to assume that someone else has had all the same chances. There's always a story, behind the story. Sometimes it's hard to admit to psychological problems, and their causes.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:12 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
What the H*** kind of acting jobs are there in the JC/Knox area? He’s going to be looking for that big break forever.

Or he may be like a couple of friends of mine here - wanting so much to have their own small little businesses (personal training, multi-level marketing crap, etc.) and not work a 9-to-5 job with benefits, but then complain when they can’t seem to get ahead.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:00 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,936,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
And everyone who arrogantly makes disparaging blanket statements like this was born a lace curtain silver spooner who NEVER had to TRULY earn ANYTHING on their own merit- they just ride their inherited privilege right up to their inherited ivory tower!
How about EARN your own way just once in your life before making such stupid blanket statements, mmmkay, Champ??
Aren't blanket generalizations fun? I mean, who do YOU think you are?
That was not a a blanket generalization. My statement was "everyone I know." Do you know everyone I know?

Besides that, I was not born with a silver spoon at all and struggled with ADD all through school. I got me degrees and my jobs myself through my own hard work and merits. So nice try, wrong on both counts.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:12 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,936,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

I'm there myself. 3 career changes attempted and employers think I'm only qualified at my old role.
Ahh. Ding ding ding, there it is. This explains all your posts. YOU can't get hired for a job you want so now it's the employers fault and not yours. It's "no one" can get a job, not just YOU. For someone who knows more about business than business analysts and knows better than CEOs, I'm shocked no one will hire you. I guess they don't agree with your own skill and knowledge level and view of yourself. Have you applied to be CEO of McDonald's!

Old 06-24-2018, 07:34 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
For some of us, it isn't the technical and educational obstacles that deter us from the "accepted" career paths; it's the regimentation and tedium which follows the completion of that education.

In most cases, the last years of formal education, particularly outside the STEM disciplines, are characterized by maximum personal freedom, but you "advance" from this into the micromanagement and long days at menial duties that characterize just about every position at the lower levels of a corporate pyramid. You work for a straight salary (with occasional unpaid overtime, and maybe an expectation to participate in job-related social activities): supposedly, that salary (with no direct incentives) will increase as you fawn, smile, and brown-nose your way upward, but be careful not to display too much of an independent attitude. And in the interim, you're probably struggling with all the extra demands of the early stages of domestic life and parenthood, and at the end of the storm. or even just halfway through it, you're still confronted by all the problems, disappointments, and possible tragedies "that flesh is heir to".

Somehow, most of us get through it, and reasonably intact, but I suspect that a lot of us learn at some point that higher salaries (and the higher taxes that go with them) are no longer worth the maximum effort.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-24-2018 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment