Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 10:28 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
But having worked in development for retail/supermarket/restaurants for more than 25 years, I can tell you that there new technology is coming, and that right soon.
Agree - and it is nothing of which to be afraid.

About 118 years ago, a bit over 60% of the US population was directly involved with farming, ranching and agriculture. Today, it is less than 4%.

Imagine that you could go back in time to 1900 & tell learned scholars, politicians and farmers that in far-off 2018 less than 4% of the nation's population would be directly involved in agriculture.

Then imagine you asked them, "what do you think all the other people will do for a living?"

Chances are none of them would guess "network administrator," "web designer," "search engine optimization engineer," "industrial robot tech," "radiologist," "professional MMA fighter," "professional football player," "cinematographer," "sound supervisor," "microprocessor architect," "telemarketer," "YouTube Star" "water treatment engineer" "photolithography engineer" "nuclear power plant engineer" "HVAC technician" "Kardashian" or the like.

We don't know what the future holds -- it is exceedingly difficult to accurately forecast the future. For example, back in the 1900 New York City had a population of 100,000 horses. On average a horse will produce between 15 and 35 pounds of manure per day. Each horse also produces several pints of urine per day. To make things worse, the average life expectancy for a working horse was only around 3 years. Horse carcasses therefore also had to be removed from the streets of New York. The bodies were often left to putrefy so the corpses could be more easily sawn into pieces for removal.

It wasn't just NYC -- this was true of every major city in the world. In fact, The Times newspaper predicted… “In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under 10 feet of manure.”

The terrible situation was debated in 1898 at the world’s first International Urban Planning Conference dedicated to this smelly situation in New York. The conference disbanded early as no solution could be found or even imagined. It seemed urban civilisation was doomed.

Well, the futurists were wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 10:38 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
OP is not convincing me that a restaurant robot is better than flawed humans such as us who really do need jobs. .
Actually I was more leaning that I didn't have to try and read the signs up over the cashier trying to make up my mind in 10 seconds. There really wasn't a "Robot" the order was sent to the staff who poured the coffee and mixed it, made the food and brought it out. I was simply commentating that for me and my eyes, it was a welcome change. There's still people At The Register but this was mainly for ease of ordering for me.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You're happy about McDonald's making you into an unpaid employee so they can increase profits.

That's awesome.
It seems many of you people missed THE MAIN POINT of my post: I went to the kiosk and right off the bat I felt great...I didn't have 12 hungry people behind me and have to make up my mind in 15 seconds trying to find what I wanted (I do have slight vision issues) <<<See that? I'm old! See that?

Old 06-25-2018, 11:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
It seems many of you people missed THE MAIN POINT of my post: I went to the kiosk and right off the bat I felt great...I didn't have 12 hungry people behind me and have to make up my mind in 15 seconds trying to find what I wanted (I do have slight vision issues) <<<See that? I'm old! See that?
I have seen and used kiosks and self-checkouts. I'm not a Luddite or a moron.

Do you understand that when you use the kiosk, you are essentially working for McDonald's for free?

Old 06-25-2018, 11:06 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Quote:
So if you had 12 hungry people waiting in line in back of you at the kiosk you would be happy?

If I needed time to figure out what I wanted to get, and there were people behind me and the cashier was calling me to step forward, I'd be letting people cut in front of me while I processed the menu, instead of forcing people to wait. Since I don't believe I am the center of the universe, I learn to cooperate with people, instead of devaluing them.

This is not about technology, this is about you.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Do you understand that when you use the kiosk, you are essentially working for McDonald's for free?
And since the OP is not getting a discount, this is corporate welfare.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:08 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,617 times
Quote:
I have seen and used kiosks and self-checkouts. I'm not a Luddite or a moron.

Nope, not at all. What I understand is that I am going to get my food faster.

Instead of speculation and assuming, go to one of these places and ask them if any of them have reduced staff, as a result of self-checkout/kiosks. Some will likely affirm that this is true, but most won't. They'll tell you that the size of the staff is nearly the same, if not the same, but their roles may have changed.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
So if you had 12 hungry people waiting in line in back of you at the kiosk you would be happy?

If I needed time to figure out what I wanted to get, and there were people behind me and the cashier was calling me to step forward, I'd be letting people cut in front of me while I processed the menu, instead of forcing people to wait. Since I don't believe I am the center of the universe, I learn to cooperate with people, instead of devaluing them.
That's why I chose the kiosk, if you want to cause people to move around your bulk then by all means do so...Have fun...

Old 06-25-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Agree - and it is nothing of which to be afraid.

About 118 years ago, a bit over 60% of the US population was directly involved with farming, ranching and agriculture. Today, it is less than 4%.
During this time, people could get factory jobs without any experience. Employers would train you and you could start over easily. Yes, the farm hand is out of work, they move to a nearby city that has a factory and they're working again on the assembly line making middle class wages.

That's not happening today. Today, we got people getting rejected for not having experience, despite having degrees and skills.

Quote:
Chances are none of them would guess "network administrator," "web designer," "search engine optimization engineer," "industrial robot tech," "radiologist," "professional MMA fighter," "professional football player," "cinematographer," "sound supervisor," "microprocessor architect," "telemarketer," "YouTube Star" "water treatment engineer" "photolithography engineer" "nuclear power plant engineer" "HVAC technician" "Kardashian" or the like.
Most of these jobs require experience in the role they're trying to get.

Quote:
We don't know what the future holds -- it is exceedingly difficult to accurately forecast the future.
Unless things change in the catch-22 of employment is solved, what will happen is we will have a growing underclass of people who did what the experts told them to do - get degrees/skills/certifications in fields that have value - and wind up getting rejected for not having experience, and then working McJobs. Then those McJobs are automated out of existence and now they starve.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
That's why I chose the kiosk, if you want to cause people to move around your bulk then by all means do so...Have fun...

You didn't address my point.

When the kiosk is the only way to order and you have 12 people standing behind you, will you be happy? Hope you can order in 15 seconds - hurry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment